Feather duster that looks like a zoanthid?

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, sharing this as I've not seen anything quite like it before and it seemed interesting to me. Anyone know exactly what it is? I'm assuming some kind of filter feeder.

IMG_20221004_183504.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unfurling motion, incomplete "crown" of cirri, and pair of opercula (opening plates) indicate this is a barnacle, also a harmless filter-feeder. Feather dusters have a complete crown surrounding their mouths, extend instead of unfurling, and live in tubes.
Must be nice to have those barnacles removed. : r/HumansBeingBros

1664871074807.png

1664871102558.png

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
The unfurling motion, incomplete "crown" of cirri, and pair of opercula (opening plates) indicate this is a barnacle, also a harmless filter-feeder. Feather dusters have a complete crown surrounding their mouths, extend instead of unfurling, and live in tubes.
Must be nice to have those barnacles removed. : r/HumansBeingBros

1664871074807.png

1664871102558.png
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the info. I think it does look like it has a complete crown to me though it doesn't really show in the video, and I can't quite get a good angle in a picture with how it is positioned in the tank sorry. Just beneath it to the right is another one. It almost exactly looks like zoanthid in that it has a complete circle around it.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snake Polyp (Lsaurus spp) it’s a type of zoa family​

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two small feather dusters in the photo, the kind that often come in on live rock. The other animal in the video resembles a barnacle.

OP
OP
Latte

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a Christmas tree worm?

Snake Polyp (Lsaurus spp) it’s a type of zoa family​

Definitely doesn't appear to be either of these to me.

There are two small feather dusters in the photo, the kind that often come in on live rock. The other animal in the video resembles a barnacle.
They are actually the same thing, though it's hard to see from the picture/video. The two on the bottom right look exactly the same as the one that opens up in the video when you look from the top down, I just can't get a proper video/picture of the top one because of the placement in the tank.

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump goes in the far right side of the sump it looks like where the floss is.

Definitely doesn't appear to be either of these to me.

They are actually the same thing, though it's hard to see from the picture/video. The two on the bottom right look exactly the same as the one that opens up in the video when you look from the top down, I just can't get a proper video/picture of the top one because of the placement in the tank.
Ah! Okay. You have pretty little feather dusters, which are filter feeders.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back