OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna clams are illegal in China? Wow, I did not know that. I am glad that they are maricultured these days. I expect you probably have better access to other corals that are not easily available elsewhere, yes?

I would love the take you up on that offer but I doubt that it would be allowed. UK customs would most likely confiscate the coral more's the pity. I visited the US for MACNA a few years ago and saw loads available for sale there, I really wanted to bring one home but knew I couldn't. I don't know why the UK won't allow them to be imported since they are aquacultured. :(
Yep, they’re protected species and it’s illegal to possess them even if maricultured. Doesn’t make sense to me but it is what it is.

For corals generally seems we have a more limited selection vs. what I was used to in the US. But some corals are really cheap while others are much more expensive than in the US. If memory serves the dendro was maybe 3-4 cm x 1-2 cm when I bought it at an LFS, and I paid 150 CNY (£17) which was double the online price.

Totally understand the customs issue; I actually work in the logistics industry and would be happy to look into it for you because helping others makes me happy :). But if you’re not mad crazy about dendros I agree probably not worth the trouble.

So… speaking of the haircut topic I came home this evening to another haircut. Not as severe yet as earlier but then again it just started. What luck. Blennies are no longer so I’m blaming the peppermint shrimp or hermits. Thing is the coco worms retract so quickly when bothered, I’m unclear how exactly something could “trim” it successfully.

Time for additional red lit nighttime investigations; perhaps I’ll also put a camera on it for a few days and then review the footage. Seems it happened during the day while I was out.

I’ll post a photo of the latest cut later just to share.

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they’re protected species and it’s illegal to possess them even if maricultured. Doesn’t make sense to me but it is what it is.

For corals generally seems we have a more limited selection vs. what I was used to in the US. But some corals are really cheap while others are much more expensive than in the US. If memory serves the dendro was maybe 3-4 cm x 1-2 cm when I bought it at an LFS, and I paid 150 CNY (£17) which was double the online price.

Totally understand the customs issue; I actually work in the logistics industry and would be happy to look into it for you because helping others makes me happy :). But if you’re not mad crazy about dendros I agree probably not worth the trouble.

So… speaking of the haircut topic I came home this evening to another haircut. Not as severe yet as earlier but then again it just started. What luck. Blennies are no longer so I’m blaming the peppermint shrimp or hermits. Thing is the coco worms retract so quickly when bothered, I’m unclear how exactly something could “trim” it successfully.

Time for additional red lit nighttime investigations; perhaps I’ll also put a camera on it for a few days and then review the footage. Seems it happened during the day while I was out.

I’ll post a photo of the latest cut later just to share.
Well that's the problem I am mad crazy about Dendros, well NPS corals in general really. :p

Have both your Coco worms been trimmed or just the original one? What kind of flow do you have them in?

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's the problem I am mad crazy about Dendros, well NPS corals in general really. :p

Have both your Coco worms been trimmed or just the original one? What kind of flow do you have them in?
I’ll check on export possibilities with some people I know:).

So far it’s just the white one. I actually have three now (the third is yellow). Flow is random and pretty brisk but not enough to blow sand around. I run a Jebao MDP-5000 main return and 3 Jebao MLW-20’s at 100% power and random mode (very small frequency difference between them).

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check on export possibilities with some people I know:).

So far it’s just the white one. I actually have three now (the third is yellow). Flow is random and pretty brisk but not enough to blow sand around. I run a Jebao MDP-5000 main return and 3 Jebao MLW-20’s at 100% power and random mode (very small frequency difference between them).
Sounds OK flow wise then. I just have the one Coco worm and whilst it likes good flow it doesn't like to be bashed around too much. :) Did the trim happen during the day or at night?

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds OK flow wise then. I just have the one Coco worm and whilst it likes good flow it doesn't like to be bashed around too much. :) Did the trim happen during the day or at night
Hey sorry for the delay; it's been a crazy week involving me slipping on a wet rode while riding my bike and ending up with my foot broken in 3 places. Now I'm couch/bed ridden for a while but fortunately my tank is across from my couch (and my "side" of the couch) which allows observation and I can even crawl over to it and do some simple work, feed, wipe glass, empty skimmer cup, etc. Thank the Lord for the little things.

My worms with the exception of the yellow one seem to like the flow; that one is new so perhaps it's still just acclimating. I have them coming out of nooks and crannies in the live rock, which is set up in a cavern and bridge fashion with lots of wide open spaces and tunnels throughout allowing flow from the back to come through; so they're getting gentle but random flow while being shielded by the rock work from anything really strong.

Seems the trimming happens during the day. Knock on wood, it doesn't seem to have happened again after the last time I mentioned. So who knows.

By the way, I looked into shipping you a dendro. Seems we could try, but my main concern besides customs is the unpredictable lead-times, logistics is a mess globally so maybe we hold on that idea.

Thanks and have a good weekend ahead!

Adam

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds nasty and could have been a lot worse. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hopefully no more hair cuts will occur from now on. As you rest your foot you can keep an eye on the feathers. :)

Thanks for checking about the shipping. It seems that the whole world is in a bit of a pickle these days. o_O

Take care and get well soon. :D

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds nasty and could have been a lot worse. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hopefully no more hair cuts will occur from now on. As you rest your foot you can keep an eye on the feathers. :)

Thanks for checking about the shipping. It seems that the whole world is in a bit of a pickle these days. o_O

Take care and get well soon. :D
Thanks so much Lisa!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back