Feather Dusters – The beauty in the worm

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful worms. Seems an oxymoron, doesn't it?

And yet . . . here they are. (And even had a walk-on role in the movie "Avatar" a few years back!)

Terrific article - again - Meredith!

Do you know if butterflyfish and angels primarily attack the smaller dusters, or will they take on the big Hawaiians and coco worms, as well?

~Bruce

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my feathery friends (ft my shady basslet)
5c3d0e3f68fa3f35d8e481c0edbe237a.jpg
6d45f6974e5994fbb9fc5d04a74ef684.jpg
c716bc07f9f85cc126dc2ee94d088e90.png
red coco worm and a gold red feather duster

Last edited:

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you just rained on my parade. That was one of next things I was gonna get. But I have hawkish, 6line wrasse and bunch of emerald and hermit crabs. So not a good combination huh

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved feather duster worms. Can they live in a bb tank? Great article Meredith!

Yes they can!
Beautiful worms. Seems an oxymoron, doesn't it?

And yet . . . here they are. (And even had a walk-on role in the movie "Avatar" a few years back!)

Terrific article - again - Meredith!

Do you know if butterflyfish and angels primarily attack the smaller dusters, or will they take on the big Hawaiians and coco worms, as well?

~Bruce
They will attack any feather dusters. I've seen them go after the tiny ones and the big ornamental ones both with gusto.
Nice article.
Which worms are considerd easy/hard to keep ?
I've found the plain-jane Brown feather dusters to be the easiest (aside from the tiny ones that tend to grow in any system of their own accord).
Well you just rained on my parade. That was one of next things I was gonna get. But I have hawkish, 6line wrasse and bunch of emerald and hermit crabs. So not a good combination huh

Probably not, especially with the wrasse and hawkfish.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add that in my experience carbon dosing has been a game changer when it comes to keeping large numbers of some filter feeders like giant feather dusters. I dose (aka feed) my tank with vinegar not for nutrient reduction, but just to feed bacteria and larger organisms that the bacteria support in the food web ending in this case with feather dusters and sponges.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great subject, and write up. Feathers are one of my favorite "abnormal" creatures to add to the tank. Love adding them to refugiums for additional color and variety. I plan to have a nano dedicated to them in the coming months.
Thanks melypr for the info!
Share when you have it up and stocked. Interested to see it!

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add that in my experience carbon dosing has been a game changer when it comes to keeping large numbers of some filter feeders like giant feather dusters. I dose (aka feed) my tank with vinegar not for nutrient reduction, but just to feed bacteria and larger organisms that the bacteria support in the food web ending in this case with feather dusters and sponges.
Do you mean carbon filtration is a game changer for good or bad?
What made you start vinegar dosing for filter feeders and what are the results? Never heard that comment before and looking for information. Thx.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally want some feather dusters now. They are such a beautiful underrated animal. How would you go about quarantining something like this though? I saw a really pretty one at a store a couple days ago that is always ich-infested, I would be hesitant to purchase unless there is a good way to QT them.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally want some feather dusters now. They are such a beautiful underrated animal. How would you go about quarantining something like this though? I saw a really pretty one at a store a couple days ago that is always ich-infested, I would be hesitant to purchase unless there is a good way to QT them.

Usually there would be no need to quarantine; but in an instance where the feather duster is housed with fish, it's never a bad idea. You can quarantine these critters the same way you would any other coral (but skip the dipping) any established tank with decent flow will suffice. Dosing phytoplankton, or other small organisms 2-3x per week will provide a needed food source. (If it's in a new system more feeding may be required)

You'll want to keep it in a fishless ststem for 76 days to allow all ich to starve off, then you'll be ready to add it to your DT!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean carbon filtration is a game changer for good or bad?
What made you start vinegar dosing for filter feeders and what are the results? Never heard that comment before and looking for information. Thx.

A good one!!

I noticed reports of carbon dosing (including our chemistry guru Randy) of increased populations of sponges and small tube worms quite a few years ago. When I started carbon dosing I noticed the same thing with increased filter feeder populations so I kept increasing my population of giant feather dusters - 12 in my 120 in the shadows and overhangs where coral don't do the best.

With how carbon dosing increases bacterial counts and also the food web that eats bacteria it's pretty awesome for filter feeder.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature

Near the end talks very briefly about skimate having becteira predictors in it.

Shoot. I can't find the article, but there was a great one a couple years ago, maybe reefs dot com? About filter feeder and I shares my experience and thoughts about carbon dosing and the author was in total agreement. I will keep hunting for it.

Last edited:

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article (as usual), but those pictures are amazing!

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go! My comment is on the bottom with the carbon dosing.

http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/07/07/feather-dusters-and-feeding/
2 great articles especially the first link. Years ago I had a tube worm with 4 or 5 fish in a 20 long. I noticed every evening when I fed frozen brine shrimp as it dissolved a small cloud of juices came out. That is when the tube worm really extended. It doubled in size in a year with nothing else fed to it but the juice and evidently bacteria in the water. No skimmer.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this article as I have a few soft tube feather dusters in my tank.

I was told by the person who gave them to me that they spread quickly.

Should I remove these before things get out of control?

My red head solon fairy wrasse or long nose hawk fish have no interest in them.

Thanks

Mike

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • None.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back