Featured Threads Archive
All currently and previously featured threads.
I have a Red Sea Reefer 170 and like most people I've become tired of cleaning filter socks. As a result, I spent some time searching then internet for inspiration and came up with an alternative that works pretty well using a filter pad. So, here is what I came up with and the steps I used to make it:
1. I cut the sock portion off a filter sock so I ended up with the plastic ring.
2. I searched the Dollar Tree store, Walmart, and any other store I could think of that might have a plastic container to fit the plastic ring. I finally found a liter bottle at a store call Tap Plastic.
3. I cut the top portion of the bottle off and placed the ring around the top of the bottle. I used silicone to glue the two pieces of plastic together (inside top and outside).
4. I then marked a series of holes approx. 1/2" up from the bottom of the bottle, all around the bottle. I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the holes in approx. 1" segments around the circumference. You may need more or less holes, or bigger, depending on your flow. I got lucky and my initial pattern worked great without raising or lowering my sump water height.
5. Once the silicone is dry and the holes are drilled, then I cut a piece of filter pad to fit inside the bottle. You can fill it as full as you'd like. I chose to use a single layer on the outside edge so the water can flow down into the bottle, then though the floss and out the holes.
6. You could make two and simple pull one out and insert another with a clean filter pad or just pull the dirty pad out and replace with clean pad. Easy Peezy, Lemon Squezzy, no filter sock to clean. So far its been three days and everything it working great. I figure if I can get a week out of a filter pad it will be worth it.
Hello! Everyone! This is my first reeftank,it`s a sps tank. The tank specs, equipment, and livestock are as follows:
Aquarium and Stand
Tank size: Marineland corner flow 40*40*40cm
Sump & Skimmer
Return pump:AT104 (2000L/h)
Water Circulation:MP10*1 WP10*2
Heating: 200W heater
Lighting: DIY LED 75W, DIY 24w blue LED
Kamoer Doser for Two little fishies C-Balance
Current params (Salifert kits), stable for over a month now:
Phosphate 0.03 (by hanna)
I feed fish everyday that use HIKARI SEAWEED EXTREME and Firstbite Marine Pellets.
I do a 10% water change once a week. At this time I also vacuum part of the Standard that I can reach.
I clean the skimmer cup once a week.
I clean the skimmer once in 6 months and clean the Water Circulation once in 1 month.
Established May 2015
UPDATE 9-11-17: This is gaining a lot of steam and it's gonna cost a ton of money. We want to create it if you will use it! PLEASE VOTE and please continue to add your ideas and input! If you click MAYBE please comment with what you would want to see in order to use the marketplace.
Hello R2R Members!
We have been mulling the idea of a comprehensive classified system that I hope would really change the face of how people buy and sell saltwater aquarium items on R2R and even on the internet. Many have tried to create an ebay style system for just this thing but they fail because they don't have the community of users like we have. Whatever it is we will have to pay to have it developed and it would be a pretty big undertaking.
We are looking to create an Amazon(ish) style market for all things saltwater aquariums.
With that being said I want you to pretend that there is no limits on what we can do and I would love to hear your ideas for a Reef Classified System that would be the all in one place to shop for aquarium related items.
What would you like to be able to do?
What would you like to see?
How would you like to buy, sell and trade?
Integrated Robust Feedback System for keeping people accountable?
How would you like it to look within the forum?
Seller levels from hobbyists to commercial?
Trading? What could set that apart?
Let the ideas fly! Nothing is too little or too big!
Name: Anton Post
R2R Username: @p0st
Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/p0st-h0me-reef-dutch.209931/
Hi! My name is Anton Post and I’m a 29 year old guy from the Netherlands that got into reef tanks three years ago. I’m currently keeping a Red Sea Reefer 525 that has been running since January 2016. I’m very honored to be featured in this month’s Reef of the Month article on R2R! I hope you enjoy the article and pictures. If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask in the tank thread!
- Display tank: Red Sea Reefer 525
- Glass or Acrylic: Glass
- Stand: Provided by Red Sea
- Sump: Provided by Red Sea
- Protein skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
- Carbon/phosphate filtration: Vertex canister filter with Rowaphos and Red Sea Carbon (both in separate bags)
- Return pump: Jebao DCT8000
- Water circulation: Maxspect Gyre XF250 w/ advanced controller
- Lighting (display): Giesemann Aurora 150cm
- Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing: Yes, Balling Classic method
- Auto top-off: Provided by Red Sea
- Heating/cooling: Teco TK500 for both cooling and heating
- System control: Nothing specific, my Jebao DP-4 is doing the dosing, that’s it
- Any other details: UV-c 36W for water filtration, Dosing vodka/vinegar for no3/p04 reduction
Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:
I’m using the Maxspect Gyre to create a good circular flow in my tank. Before the XF250 I had an XF150 with the regular controller, and the XF250 with the advanced controller is definitely an upgrade. I have it running in a 10-60% random pattern which really creates a nice flow through the entire tank. My reefscape is fairly light which enables good water circulation, even in the bottom areas. I did also apply a Loc-Line double outlet on the standard Red Sea outlet to aim the water coming into the tank to where I want.
- Temp: 25-26 degrees Celsius
- pH: 8.0
- Specific gravity: 1.026-1.027
- NO3: 10-20
- Ca: 450
- Alk: 8.0
- Mg: 1600
- PO4: 0.20
Lighting Summary and Objectives:
I have chosen a hybrid light since this gives me the most flexibility in setting the light intensity and coloration. The fixture has 4x75w LED units and 4x80w T5 bulbs. For the T5’s I’m using ATI’s Coral Plus bulbs in all four slots. For the LED pads I’m only using the Royal Blue and Marine Blue channels. This combination of T5 and LED gives me a color scheme that I really enjoy. Also, corals thrive under these lights.
Photoperiod: 8:00 am until 23:30 PM. (See scheme for reference)
Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:
Since my reef is LPS, Zoanthus and Ricordea heavy, I try to keep at least some nitrates and phosphates in my tank for better growth. Additionally, I have some fish that eat quite slow so I tend to overfeed to give every tank inhabitant time to fill its belly properly. Luckily the nuisance algae are kept to a minimum, the only minor inconvenience is that I have to clean my glass every other day to get rid of the green layer that slowly builds up.
Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:
Since I’m using the Balling Classic method, I always dose my Ca, Alk, and Mg in the same amounts, this keeps those three values very stable over time. I try to stick to recommended values for Ca and Alk (450/8), but I tend to keep the Mg a little higher (1600) since I’ve seen good results doing that (less nuisance algae, good coloration and polyp extension).
1. Copperband Butterfly (since November 2014)
2. 2x Mandarin Fish (Synchiropus splendidus)
3. 2x Pterapogon kauderni
4. 4x Evansi Anthias
5. 2x Macroparynghodon Meleagris (male + female)
6. 1x corythoichthys intestinalis
7. 1x ostracion cubicus
8. 1x salarias fasciatus
9. 1x Bristletooth Tomini Tang
10. 1x equetus punctatus (juvenile)
1. 2x Sea Urchin
2. 2x Sand Sifting Seastar
3. Various snales, including an Abalone Snail
Tank Inhabitants— Corals:
I could list them, but I’ll leave the pictures to speak for themselves. My tank mostly has soft corals varying from LPS to zoa’s, softies and ricordea. I do have some SPS pieces but they are scarce and positioned on top of the reef to give them as much light and flow as possible. Also, since my nitrates and phosphates are relatively high, SPS won’t be as colorful as they could be in an ULN system.
It is official Reef-A-Palooza New York is excited to announce that we will be back at the Meadowlands Exposition Center for another spectacular show for 2017!
Sponsored by Reef-A-Palooza Orlando & Reef2Reef!
We're super excited to announce that Reef-A-Palooza and Reef2Reef are sponsoring a fun contest where we're going to send one LUCKY winner to the RAP Orlando Show in May! The trip will include Airfare for two, 2 Nights at the Caribe Royale Resort and Tickets to the Greatest Reef Show On Earth, ReefAPalooza!
The ReefAPalooza Orlando Getaway Rules for Entry:
1. SHARE the following Reef-A-Palooza Flyer on your Facebook Page. You must use hashtags #reefapaloozaorlando and #reef2reef when you share.
2. SHARE the following Reef-A-Palooza Flyer on your Instagram Account. You must use hashtags #reefapaloozaorlando and #reef2reef when you share.
3. Make a post in this thread once you completed the Facebook or Instagram requirement. If you completed both then you will have 2 posts in this thread which will result in 2 entries.
(To enter you must complete at least #1 or #2 and then #3 for your official entry. You must be at least 18yrs old to enter. Airfare available from anywhere in the continental USA only. If you are the winner and you are within 3 hrs of the show then RAP will work with you to provide money for a rental car and gas to the show instead of a plane ticket if you choose to drive)
To save this flyer right click and save as. On mobile touch this image and save.
The winner will be drawn via random number generator from this thread on April 5th 2017. Winner will be subject to verify that the requirements for entry were met in a timely manner.
Check out the details for the RAP Orlando Show Here.
Huge thanks to Reef-A-Palooza Orlando for providing this awesome prize!
2 Days of Live Sale Celebration! Join us in celebrating our stores 10 year anniversary! Sale starts Saturday, July 29th at 10 A.M. est and goes on for 14 hours straight until MIDNIGHT est, then resumes again at 10 A.M. on the 30th for 14 more hours until MIDNIGHT est! We will post "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) corals in this thread with a title, picture, the sale price and a link to purchase it from our site. You can only go through the link posted here to buy the coral. You must complete checkout first to win the coral. The same item can be in multiple carts simultaneously, first one to finish checkout wins it and takes it out of stock.
Communication will be through thread posts and Private Messages only. Over 1600+ corals total will be posted at random times throughout the whole 28 hours. Expect a batch of 3 - 10 new corals posted every few minutes. You snooze, you lose! It can be sometimes difficult to win items at peak times, just have patience it is a long sale and please stay positive.
All orders are final no refunds on livestock. No exchanges, credits, promotional gift cards, coupons, or extra discounts can be used towards any items in the sale. Our 10-Day Guarantee applies to all corals we ship.
NO FREE shipping unless combined with a website/ebay order that already has shipping paid for.
*Please include your full name from your order in any PM or post communications regarding orders. We cannot identify you from your R2R screen name.
1) EcoTech VorTech MP60 QD
2) EcoTech VorTech MP40 QD
3) Two Little Fishies Reactor and 454g of Media
4) Brightwell Supplement Package
5) WWC Signature Chalices Pack
There are 2 ways to enter the drawings. Make a purchase during the sale, or make one post in this thread every hour during the sale hours (10am-Midnight both days). If you do both you get 2 entries. You can only win one prize. Drawing results will be posted within 1 week of sale. Those who make a post every hour do not have to say "check in", just make at least one post every hour during sale hours. You must PM us after the sale if you believe you qualified so we can verify your posts and include you in the giveaway.
We will post corals priced at $5 each throughout the sale! You can buy a maximum of 2, and you must buy at least 1 non-$5 coral for each $5 coral you purchase.
Pre-Sale shipping will be discounted to $24.99 ($14.99 FL)! Shipping during the sale and after will be $29.99 ($19.99 for FL residents).
Purchase your shipping unit as soon as possible to secure your delivery date as shipment numbers are limited by day.
You only need to pay for one shipping unit. Just choose "Live Sale Shipping/Local Pickup" at checkout so you are not charged for again for shipping.
No piggy back shipping with other people. We will not hold any orders except for weather/FedEx related issues.
In-store pickups will be allowed by appointment only (call or email) before 8/2, on or after Friday you may come in without appointment. Just choose "Live Sale Shipping/Local Pickup" at checkout.
DISCOUNTED SHIPPING PLUS FREE T-SHIRT IF YOU PURCHASE SHIPPING BEFORE MIDNIGHT 7/28! Just put the size and color you would like in your checkout notes for your s and we will do our best depending on quantities.
Out of state shipments will be delivered Wednesday, 8/2 - Thursday, 8/3 - and Friday, 8/4. (Florida shipments will be delivered on Thursday, 8/3 - Friday, 8/4). Click below to purchase priority overnight shipping. Choose which day you would like to receive your order. We will refund your shipping unit if you do not purchase anything during the sale.
CLICK HERECLICK HERECLICK HERE
CLICK HERECLICK HERE
Shipping Modules Now Available here:
Get a free Cherry Corals T-shirt or a Free Frag if you order a shipping module before the live sale starts!
Join us this Saturday June 3rd from 1-7pm (pacific time) for our Summer Fun Live Sale. Over 500 WYSIWYG frags including $1-$10 Frag Specials & awesome giveaways!
Teaser photos & more info to follow.
HEY STICKHEADS, PLEASE join the FUN Saturday September the 16th from 11am-11pm CST for our DOUBLE DOWN LIVESALE here on R2R!!!! This is our second livesale on R2R and after the technical problems that occurred last time were going to make it a TON of FUN with DOUBLE THE FRAGS hence the name DOUBLE DOWN lol!!!! We made some FANTASTIC changes and have a BRAND NEW website with a legit host and a smarter IT guy!!! We tested the website with a mini sale and had NO issues with Duplicate orders or the website shutting down, This sale should be 1000% BETTER than April Fools Livesale no doubt. Let me tell you what’s in store for the day before we go over the rules. 1200 SPS frags ranging from lower end to HIGH END discounted from 25%-40% OFF!!!! 100 of those will be priced at 1 dollar including a RR USA Pink Floyd and a Mike Biggar Walt Disney Tenuis... I know, We’re crazy like that!!! We’ll ALSO be giving a FREE Walt Disney to the person who spends the MOST money throughout the livesale!!! There will be a total of 4 raffles... THATS RIGHT 4 RAFFLES AND 3 AWARDS totaling $1,000 in Fraghouse Corals Gift Certificates for later date purchasing on our website!!! See Details Below
HOW IT WORKS: We will be posting 15-20 WYSIWYG SPS frag pictures in this thread roughly every ten minutes, 100 corals per hour. Each picture will have the pricing and a link that will take you straight to the website listing. You must complete checkout to win the coral, just adding it to your cart will not keep someone else from purchasing it. PLEASE create a customer account on Fraghousecorals.com before the sale so you are locked cocked and ready to ROCK!!!
PAYMENT METHODS: Our site accepts all major credit cards!!! Paypal unfortunately was the main reason for duplicate orders so even though Paypal is a payment option for the day to day PAYPAL WILL NOT BE ACTIVE DURRING THE LIVESALE
All the corals listed in the livesale are first come first serve, if by chance two people buy the same coral we will do our best to duplicate it or we will issue a refund for that item. If this happens we apologize in advance.
GIVEAWAYS: READ CLOSELY
-All boxes going out will receive at least 1 FREEBIE
-100 $1 Frags randomly thrown into the mix throughout the sale including Walt Disney & PINK FLOYD!!! There will be no limit on how many one person can buy BUT... for every $1 coral you win you MUST BUY ONE AT FULL PRICE. Example: you win five $1 corals you would need to win 5 normal priced corals.
-Person who spends the MOST money throughout the livesale gets a FREE Walt Disney Tenuis
-These will be in the form of a Fraghouse Corals Gift Certificate for FUTURE PURCHASES and CANNOT BE APPLIED TO THE LIVESALE OR FUTURE AUCTIONS. Winners will be announced on this thread within a week after the sale.
-Grand prize $250- EVERY CORAL BOUGHT gets you a ticket into this raffle, example... if you buy 10 corals throughout the sale you will have 10 ENTRIES into this raffle there will be a total of 1200 entries all based on the sku number of the frag you bought
-$150- EVERY CORAL BOUGHT gets you a ticket into this raffle, exapmple... if you buy 10 corals throughout the sale you will have 10 ENTRIES into this raffle there will be a total of 1200 entries all based on the sku number of the frag you bought
-$150 This Raffle is for EVERYONE that checks in every hour for the full 12 hours. All you have to do is comment check in every hour...DONT MISS a check in because that will disqualify you from this raffle. You must buy at least 1 full priced coral to have a valid entry.
-$100 This Raffle is for EVERYONE that PRE BUYS A SHIPPING MODULE BEFORE THE SALE. If you pre buy a shipping module off of fraghouseCorals.com before 11am CST Saturday the 16th it will get you 1 entry into THIS raffle. You must buy at least 1 FULL PRICED CORAL for your entry to be valid.
-$150 BIG BALLER AWARD- This award is earned by spending the MOST money throughout the sale, at the end whoever has the fattest bill is crowned BIG BALLER
-$100 BIGGEST BOX AWARD- This award is earned by buying the MOST frags throughout the sale, doesn’t matter how expensive or cheap, 1 frag is 1 frag. At the end whoever bought the most frags gets the street credit for the BIGGEST BOX AWARD
-$100 PHATTEST BID AWARD- This award is earned by buying the MOST expensive frag listed in the sale, you’ll know when it drops but PLEASE don’t count on it… There are a lot of higher end pieces so don’t pull the trigger on it just because you think it may be the highest priced item. At the end whoever buys that 1 special piece will hold the title of PHATTEST BID
SHIPPING: We are top of the game when it comes to shipping SPS corals so be confident reefers. We are doing a flat shipping rate on this sale of $25 per box no matter how many corals you buy. Please go to Fraghousecorals.com and purchase the product shipping day that works best for you, we will be shipping two weeks straight starting the Monday after the sale including Saturday delivery’s for an extra fee. Modules will be available Starting SEPTEMBER 1ST two weeks before the sale and once they sell out for that day its a wrap, PLEASE DON’T ask me to try to fit yours in because im only going to offer as many as I know I can handle per day. Thanks for understanding. Also we CAN'T HOLD your corals longer than two weeks after the sale so PLEASE dont buy anything if you cant take your corals within two weeks. NO LOCAL PICKUP
ALRIGHT STICKHEADS I think that about sums it all up. Im getting nervous as this is our second Livesale and its coming up QUICK!!! I hope it goes SUPER SMOOTH and everyone has a BLAST!!!!! Please Support us and JOIN THE FUN Saturday September the 16th!!! Fraghouse is one of the good guys in the industry trying to deliver you the most healthy colorful specimens we can yield from our system. We're NOT a chop shop, we either grow our corals from frags from other vendors...
I often see posts from younger reef-keepers here, identified with little clues like "I'll have to wait for my Mom to take me to the LFS" or similar.
I think that's great and it's made me curious what different age groups the community falls in. I myself just turned 50 and only just took up this hobby last year.
So what age group do you fall in?
ARC Spring Live Sale
Saturday April 29th 2017
We will post up 3-5 photos at a time. Each photo will have a name, be numbered and priced. First person to post the number on the thread gets the coral.
We will be posting frags priced at $1 each during the sale. You must buy at least 1 non-$1 coral for each $1 coral you purchase.
At the end of the sale, we will message each customer a total with payment options. Preferred payment method is PayPal and Square.
Shipping is a flat rate of $40 Fedex Priority Overnight. No combined shipping with orders outside of this sale. No piggy back shipping. We only ship to the continental US.
We will be raffling a fire Polyp Pack and a hot SPS Pack shortly after the sale concludes. Each customer that makes a purchase will automatically be entered into the raffle.
We also will raffle off two free shipping vouchers.
No PM's or emails will be answered until after the live sale is over.
Make sure you go to the newest and latest page to stay up to date!
WWC TIMESPLITTER 2 DAY LIVE SALE RULES
- 2 Days of Live Sale Madness! Sale starts Saturday, May 20th at NOON est and goes on for 12 hours straight until MIDNIGHT est, then resumes again at NOON on the 21st for 12 more hours until MIDNIGHT est! We will post "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) corals in this thread with a title, picture, the sale price and a link to purchase it from our site. You can only go through the link posted here to buy the coral. You must complete checkout first to win the coral. The same item can be in multiple carts simultaneously, first one to finish checkout wins it and takes it out of stock.
- Communication will be through thread posts and Private Messages only. Over 1200+ corals total will be posted at random times throughout the whole 24 hours. Expect a batch of 3 - 10 new corals posted every few minutes. You snooze, you lose! It can be sometimes difficult to win items at peak times, just have patience it is a long sale and please stay positive.
- All orders are final no refunds on livestock. No exchanges, credits, promotional gift cards, coupons, or extra discounts can be used towards any items in the sale. Our 10-Day Guarantee applies to all corals we ship.
- NO FREE shipping unless combined with a website/ebay order that already has shipping paid for.
RAFFLE & PRIZES
- 1x Ecotech Marine XR30W Pro Gen 4, 1x RMS 30 Tank Mount, 1x Power Supply Bracket
- WWC Suicide Squad Acropora frag
- Polyp Lab Product Package (PolypBooster 100ml, ReefRoids 60g, Colors 200% 50ml)
- There are 2 ways to enter the raffle drawings. Make a purchase during the sale. Or make one post every hour during the sale hours (noon-midnight both days). If you do both you get 2 entries. You can only win one raffle prize. Raffle drawing results will be posted within 1 week of sale. Those who make a post every hour do not have to say "check in" just make at least one post every hour. You must PM us after the sale if you make a post every hour so we can verify and include you in the raffle.
- We will post corals priced at $5 each throughout the sale! You can buy a maximum of 2, and you must buy at least 1 non-$5 coral for each $5 coral you purchase.
- Pre-Sale shipping will be discounted to $24.99 ($14.99 FL)! Shipping during the sale and after will be $29.99 ($19.99 for FL residents). Purchase your shipping unit as soon as possible to secure your delivery date as shipment numbers are limited by day.
- Purchase a shipping module below, click on the day you would like your order delivered.
- Out of state shipments will be delivered Wednesday, 5/24 - Thursday, 5/25 - and Friday, 5/26. (Florida shipments will be delivered on Thursday, 5/25 - Friday, 5/26). In-store pickups will be allowed on or after Friday, 5/26. Just choose "Live Sale Shipping/Local Pickup" at checkout.
- You only need to pay for one shipping unit. Just choose "Live Sale Shipping/Local Pickup" at checkout so you are not charged for again for shipping.
- No piggy back shipping with other people. We will not hold any orders except for weather/FedEx related issues.
The alkalinity part of two part additive system can generally be formulated with bicarbonate and/or carbonate. Bicarbonate gives a slight pH lowering effect and carbonate gives a pH boost, and any mixture of them can be used to get any desired pH effect in between.
But those are not the only choices. Hydroxide can also be used, and food grade sodium hydroxide is inexpensive. The pH boost is quite a bit higher than for carbonate (about 2x), and the concentration can be made much higher since it is much more soluble than sodium bicarbonate or carbonate.
For manual dosing, such a product might not be a good choice with too rapid of a big pH boost.
Today, however, dosing pumps have become so pervasive that such a product can easily be used and could have substantial benefits over existing two parts.
Additionally, I think any current manufacturer of two part systems could likely swap out the carbonate and bicarbonate and swap in hydroxides with no reformulation needed (stressing "I think"). So your favorite company could easily come out with a new version, and the new versions could be made more concentrated, if desired (at the least, there'd be less cost to ship less water).
Great conversation taking place over the last several days (found here) regarding the involvement of your spouse or significant other. One of the things that came up is the sex of the main tank keeper in the house. I know this has been discussed before, and since it's difficult to tell by a screen name, let's do an updated poll of the membership.
Page 1 of 5