Featured Threads Archive
All currently and previously featured threads.
14 hours straight of discounted coral craziness! Sale starts Monday, November 26th at 10 A.M. est and goes on for 14 hours straight until Midnight est. This is going to be intense! On average, we will be posting 7 frags every 3 minutes! Will you be able to handle it?!? Do your Index finger exercises and get your F5 Buttons greased up and ready to go!
We will post "what you see is what you get" (WYSIWYG) corals in this thread with a title, picture, the sale price and a link to purchase it from our site. You can only go through the link posted here to buy the coral. You must complete checkout first to win the coral. The same item can be in multiple carts simultaneously, first one to finish checkout wins it and takes it out of stock.
All orders are final, no refunds on livestock. No exchanges, credits, promotional gift cards, coupons, or extra discounts can be used towards any items in the sale. Our 10-Day Guarantee applies to all corals we ship.
Communication will be through thread posts and Private Messages only. Over 2000+ corals total will be posted at random times throughout the whole 14 hours. Expect a batch of 7 new corals posted every 3 minutes. You snooze, you lose! It can sometimes be difficult to win items at peak times. Just have patience it is a long sale and items are easier to win as time goes on, please stay positive.
We will post corals priced at $5 each throughout the sale! You can buy a maximum of 2, and you must buy at least 1 non-$5 coral for each $5 coral you purchase.
NO FREE SHIPPING unless combined with a non Live Sale/Aftersale and/or eBay order that already has shipping paid for. You must purchase a shipping unit for your Live Sale / After Sale purchases.
*Please include your full name from your order in any PM or post communications regarding orders. We cannot identify you from your R2R screen name.
1. WWC Frag Pack, our choice = $500 value
2. D-D Clarisea SK-5000 (with Extra Roller) = $400 value
3. AI Nero 5 Pump + Kolar Activated Carbon & GFO = $300 value
Prizes sponsored by https://ecotechmarine.com/ & http://www.kolarlabs.com/
There are 2 ways to enter the drawings. Make a purchase during the sale, or make one post in this thread every hour during the sale hours (10 A.M. - Midnight). If you do both you get 2 entries. You can only win one prize. Drawing results will be posted within 1 week of sale. Those who make a post every hour PLEASE DO NOT say "check in", just make at least one meaningful post every hour during sale hours. You must PM us after the sale if you believe you qualified so we can verify your posts and include you in the giveaway.
Shipping during the sale and after will be $24.99 ($14.99 for FL residents).
Purchase your shipping unit as soon as possible to secure your delivery date as shipment numbers are limited by day.
You only need to pay for one shipping unit.
Just choose "live sale shipping" option at checkout.
No piggy back shipping with other people. We will not hold any orders except for weather/FedEx related issues.
In-store pickups will be allowed by appointment only (call or email) before 11/30, on or after Friday you may come in without appointment. Just choose "Live Sale Shipping/Local Pickup" at checkout.
Out of state shipments will be delivered Thursday, 11/29, Friday, 11/30 and Tuesday 12/4. (Florida shipments will be delivered on Thursday, 11/29 - Friday, 11/30). Click below to purchase priority overnight shipping. Choose which day you would like to receive your order. We will refund your shipping unit if you do not purchase anything during the sale.
CLICK HERECLICK HERECLICK HERE
Happy Friyay, R2R's!
If you didn't think Ryan had much to say about Nitrates and Phosphates, then you don't want to miss this one!
Today we dive deep into what it means to control nitrates and phosphates and how chasing numbers may lead to more issues than desired.
It could partly be the peppermint mocha latte talking but I sure am excited and happy with my tank right now.
For me everything seems to be thriving but most importantly my sps frags are growing and really coloring up nicely! Some of those colors actually look like saturated photos! HA! A few other things that make me really happy.
1. Corals growing and thriving.
2. No coral loss.
3. Algae is virtually non existent.
4. Coralline algae is dominating.
5. Fish are fat and healthy.
6. Glass needs cleaned about every 5 days.
I'm seriously in a sweet spot like I've never experienced in this hobby before. Not sure what the perfect combination of equipment and maintenance is but I'm not touching a thing right now! One thing I have been consistent with is about a 15% water change every 1-2 weeks, changing carbon every 3-4 weeks and cleaning my skimmer when I perform a water change.
What about you? Are you happy at this moment and why? Are you not happy and why?
Welcome to the Reef2Reef POTM Contest - Photo of the MonthSponsored by Avast Marine!
This month’s subject: Wrasses
Deadline to Enter: November 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm (EST)
This month's theme is a Wrasses. So many beautiful specimens out there so this should be a colorful month! Remember, this is a photo contest after all and we're looking for the best photograph of your Wrasses. All other rules apply per below.
Prize: POTM Winner Banner, one year free Premium Membership and an Avast Marine Porthole courtesy of Avast Marine. Details below. (Note: Winners located outside the United States will be responsible for applicable shipping costs)
How To Enter:
Entering is easy, just a few simple guidelines to follow:
- Enter one photo, taken by you of the subject for the month before the deadline
- Multiple entries, off subject photos, or broken image links will be disqualified
- Entries must be submitted before the deadline
- Photo must be taken by you, whether in your tank or in the ocean
- You must have an avatar uploaded when you enter
- Prior winner (within the last 6 months) are welcome to enter, but not eligible for the prizes
- In order to qualify to win the Avast Marine Porthole you must also like the Avast Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/avast.marine/
The mod team will select up to 15 finalists and a poll will be created and posted in the Reef Discussion Forum. The Grand Prize Winner will be determined by Reef2Reef member voting. To be eligible to vote, you must have been a member for 30 days and have 25 meaningful posts. Votes by members not meeting this criteria will be disregarded in the final count. In the case of a tie, the mod team will assist in choosing the winner. Rules, deadlines and terms are subject to change, without notice, at any time. The winner will be posted and tagged in the voting poll and will have 48 hours to claim the prize.
As this is a photography competition, and the goal is to recognize the highest quality picture. So take your time, do your post shot editing, and submit your best image.
Thanks to Avast Marine for sponsoring the R2R Photo of the month contest!!
First off I want to thank all of our 2019 Partner Member sponsors for supporting the drive this year and for the awesome products they have given us! This year the prizes total over $10,000!
- RedSea Aquarium System: Your choice of a Reefer XL 525 Rimless or a Reefer 500 Peninsula ($2599 Value)
- Neptune Systems Apex WiFi Controller ($800 Value)
- ATI Hybrid LED WiFi T-5 PowerModule: Your choice in size. ($2200 Value)
- World Wide Corals $500 Shopping Spree ($500 Value)
- Tunze Skimmer & Recirculation Pump Prize Pack ($530 Value)
- Reef Weeds Limited Edition 2 Painting Set ($160 Value)
- Bulk Reef Supply $500 Shopping Spree ($500 Value)
- Marine Depot Somatic Sump/Skimmer Filtration System ($550 Value)
- ATB 1050a Protein Skimmer ($800 Value)
- Aquarium Specialty $500 Shopping Spree ($500 Value)
- Fishy Business Aquatics $600 Shopping Spree ($600 Value)
- Premium Aquatics $500 Shopping Spree ($500 Value)
Thank you again to our wonderful sponsors!
WATCH R2R's Revhtree LIVE and WIN a NERO 5!Hi guys! @revhtree of R2R is LIVE with @Waterbox Aquariums for Blue Friday RIGHT NOW at 5 PM EST! And he'll be giving away a brand new NERO 5 pump from Aqua Illumination during the show! (These pumps are brand new and super cool! Check out the details on this one here!)
To get entered:
- Share the live feed on your facebook page (you can share the live video directly from the Waterbox Aquariums FB Page).
- Include the hashtags #BlueFriday #Waterbox #Reef2Reef
- Post in this thread once you've done both.
This is happening NOW! Get going!!
We will conduct the drawing using a random number generator during the live feed. The winner's username will be tagged in the winning announcement as well as announced live by @revhtree. We will not email, pm, or contact the winner other than tagging the winning name (and the in-show announcement). Be sure to claim your prize ASAP! If it is not claimed within 2 days we will do a re-pick and so on until the prize is claimed.
I don’t want to start a debate about global warming since it a mainstream established fact. But, in addition to this, humans pose multiple threats to our ecosystem and wildlife. Pollution, loss of habitat, unnatural ecosystem changes, invasive species, and others all threaten the worlds coral reefs. The World Wildlife Fund has just come out with the statistic that, of all monitored wildlife species, their populations are reduced buy 60% due to human activities, IN THE LAST 40 YEARS. This fact I found to be chilling to the bone. With more frequent and worse bleaching events predicted, I’m fearful that everything we have in our tanks will become endangered, possibly in our lifetimes. My local fish store is actually initiating a “homegrown project” to buy and sell locally propagated corals to reduce reliance on imports. The recent Indonesian ban is foreshadowing the future of our hobby.
Given these revelations, when I look at my reef, I have a greater sense of responsibility, and am starting to think in much longer terms. I have very young family members who may never have the opportunity to see these creatures in the wild. They will also be the generation who has to deal with the consequences of our societies actions.
I was wondering if others here are also suffering this long term sense of dread?
quick question my sand gets pretty dirty, and I like to stir it up a bit every few days. I also like to vacuum very good during my weekly water changes.
I have lost quite a few fish lately with no signs or visible issues with them at all.
Could stirring the sand be causing a problem??
I’ve tried to do research but can’t seem to get a definitive answer. I look forward to the debate that will follow. Thanks in advance!
Reefers, we're calling one of you this Thursday, November 1st (8pm CST)!
Not only that, but we're broadcasting it LIVE on YouTube. You won't want to miss it!
i had a PM skimmer in the sump a few years back. It worked great except i have to tune it daily to set the bubble level in the riser to where i want it. Can someone recommend a skimmer that i dont need to dial in everyday?
So I went to go get another bag of the Carbon I’ve been using from my LFS because I had run out and tomorrow is water change day but apparently it’s no longer available. So my question is what activated Carbon is everyone using? I’ve been using the Acurel Activated Carbon Pellets (pic attached) mainly because they were available at the LFS literally across from my house and it’s cheap. I run Carbon due to keeping several different types of BTA’s which like to go to war with each other at times. Because of this I have to change my carbon bag out every 3-4 days. So input as to which Carbon everyone is using would help. I was thinking maybe Chemi-Pure? Is it regenerable? Thanks in advance!
Wow! Where has the time gone?!
Our 8 year anniversary is quickly approaching and we would love for YOU to celebrate with us!
BE HERE at 4pm EST on Saturday November 10th!
Want to win a $200 gift card for use DURING the sale? It's pretty easy. Follow the steps below and you will be automatically entered into a drawing for a $200 gift card that can be used DURING (or after) the sale.
1 - "LIKE" our Facebook page:
2 - "SHARE" our Facebook post about the sale:
3 - Sign-Up for our newsletter
4 - Make a post in THIS thread
5 - When completed with the steps above, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name so that we can verify your entry and I will send a confirmation reply.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY IS FRIDAY NOVEMBER 9th at 8pm EST
The winner will be drawn and listed in this thread on Friday November 9th at 9pm EST
A few teasers!!!
LRS REEF FRENZY
Larry and family from @ReefFrenzy has graciously donated a 6 month supply of their fine reef food to our GRAND PRIZE winner. LRS Foods are of the highest quality and your fish WILL LOVE IT. For details on how to win, please read below
THANK YOU LARRY!
I am happy to announce our GRAND PRIZE WINNER will be receiving a new Ecotech MP40QD. Ecotech pumps are u paralleled in their performance and quality! See below for entry details
I am happy to announce Mark from ME Coral has donated a ton of product for various giveaways. A "one-shot" of ME Coral Dip and/or Super Food will be in EVERY ORDER. A perfect amount for one dipping session and/or feeding of your new corals. We also have several other products such as amino acids, coral food, KH and CA additives and more. Be sure to check them out at www.mecoral.com
We have been thinking of ways to build more community between the members of R2R and the reefing community as a whole. One thing that we are thinking about is maybe setting up some R2R Member meet ups and call it a R2Reef & Meet!
The basic idea is to have a host home or location in various parts of the world where members can meet one another on a certain day, get free R2R swag, win prizes, eat and talk reefs for a couple hours.
Does this sound like something that would interest you if it were close to you?
How close would it need to be?
ACANLORD LIVE SALE RULES
· Live Sale Date - Nov 3rd
· Time - 12PM to 12AM (Central Time)
· We will post around 8 corals every 5 minutes at $5 or above throughout the sale. You will be able to click on each picture which will then bring you to our website where you can complete your purchase.
Please Note: To keep things consistent and fair, you must purchase any coral $20 or above to purchase a coral $15 and below for a 1:1 ratio. EACH BUYER MUST MAINTAIN THIS RATIO.
Please note: If this rule is not followed, we will have to issue a refund and repost the discounted corals.
· We will give you 1 free raffle ticket for each purchase as a thank you. (For example, if you buy 12 corals, you will earn 12 raffle tickets.)
· Post your “Check-ins” each hour for all 12 hours to qualify for 1 additional raffle ticket.
· We will post the raffle winners within the week following the live sale.
· There will be tons of giveaways which will include more than $1000 of free prizes!
· All purchases must be made through the website and you must have an AcanLord account prior to purchasing. Guest checkout will be unavailable.
· In order to ship successfully, a shipping module must be purchased for $39.99. This applies to ALL orders, no matter the order total. Preorders will receive 1 additional raffle ticket. (Does not apply to local customers, see further below.) ORDERS OVER $400 SHIP FREE!
· In the rare event that you purchase a shipping module and don’t purchase a coral, we will happily issue a refund.
· Shipping modules will represent the date of shipping and not arrival date. (There are a limited number of ship outs on each day, so preorder to secure your ship date.) If a shipping module is not purchased, we won’t know what day to ship your order.
· We cannot be held responsible for shipping carrier delays which are out of our control. Therefore, we will not issue refunds due to these delays.
· All orders will be backed by our live arrival 10 day guarantee.
· All sales are final. No refunds.
· Please note, will not combine orders for different people. Your payments should share the same email at checkout.
· Any orders placed after the sale can be combined with your live sale order. Please contact us ASAP so you don't miss your scheduled shipment.
· No additional discounts, coupons, or certificates apply.
· We ship only within continental US.
FREE LOCAL PICKUP! Please arrange a time with us to pickup your items so we can keep our orders organized. Earn a raffle ticket by RSVPing as "going" to our Facebook event.
· In order to make it a fair process, the first person to successfully complete their payment transaction will win the items in their cart. If your item is added to the cart, it is not secured until the payment is confirmed.
· Please do not pm us via R2R. They will not be replied to during the live sale. Please email us and we will respond to any concerns immediately.
· NOTE: Please remember to treat your fellow R2R family members respectfully, and be mindful of the many younger reefers viewing these threads. Vulgar language, slandering, and degrading behavior will not be tolerated.
· Most importantly, let’s remember why we got into this hobby and have a ton of fun, laughs, relax and collect some sweet new animals for our tanks!
Click HERE to purchase your shipping module!
I recently ran across this video from Jake at Reef Builders and thought it would make a great topic! In all my years I’ve never heard of using a waterpik for any application in reefing but after seeing this it sparked my curiosity about what else a waterpik could be used for!
Do you use a waterpik for reefing and what other ways might you use one as a handy reefing tool?
Here is the video and the article:
Reefers, it's Friday!
And that means the next episode of the BRS/WWC Hybrid System is finally here!!
Today we take our first step into creating a simple and stable reef tank using a combination of BRS combined knowledge and WWC's method and with that, we aim to prove how ANY reefer can find similar results and create awesome reef tanks using the same system no matter what you choose for tank size or equipment!
We are giving away $15 for you to spend at our Live Sale! Keep reading to find out how to get yours!
Details of our live sale:
The live sale will take place in this thread. We will post a link, price, and image to each coral that you can purchase from our website. Everything is WYSIWYG, and first pay first serve. You must have an account registered on our website to make a purchase. So make sure you are logged in and ready as items will get sold fast.
On Saturday right before the Live Sale starts, we will send an email with a $15 coupon code to everyone on our mailing list that can be used in the live sale. All you have to do is subscribe to our mailing list. You can do so by doing either of the following:
1. Sign up by going to our website at www.piecesoftheocean.com, find the "Subscribe" field on the bottom of the page:
2. Or, create a new account on our website. Once validated and activated, you will be automatically added to our mailing list.
Pricing on the website will be correct in case of any typographical error.
No other prior credit or coupon code can be used in this Live Sale. Our standard Guarantee Policy applies. No cancellation or substitutes on Live Sale orders. One ship out box per customer/no combining ship outs. You can however pick up for your friend.
All rules are subject to change up to the start of the live sale.
There is no free shipping in our live sale. Our standard shipping fees apply ($20 for NY, NJ, and CT, and $45 everywhere else). You only have to pay shipping once when you check out the first time. After you will choose "Local pickup or combine with an existing order" so you don't have to pay shipping again. You must choose a shipping date and pay shipping on your first item or we will not know when to ship your order. Below is a screenshot of what you will see when you check out.
Local pick up
Local pick up is not only welcome but encouraged during our normal business hours. Get 20% off (in store only) on all fish when you pick up your live sale orders in store!
Every hour we will put something nice up on auction within our Auction section of our site. Each auction will run for an hour, with $1 starting bid at $1 increment and no reserve. Anyone that participates in every auction will qualify to win our grand prize of having 50% of the entire Live Sale order REFUNDED, including any auction winning! The number of bids, the amount you bid, and whether you win or not will not affect your chance of winning. One entry per customer. This is an 7-hour Live Sale so there will be 7 auctions total. As long as you participate by bidding in every auction, you qualify! It's as easy as that! All winning auction must be paid for within 30 minutes or we will put it on Second Chances for others to buy. Please remember to read our Auction Rules and Policy before bidding. Abusers will be banned and disqualified!
All communication will be conducted via email to support(AT)piecesoftheocean.com. No PM will be answered during the Live Sale.
Page 3 of 21