Featured Threads Archive
All currently and previously featured threads.
It's a question that comes pops up somewhat frequently - "How high should my stand be for my display tank"? I personally built mine to be 40" since I wanted the tank elevated a bit since it's used as a room divider. I've found it about perfect for viewing while standing and even sitting while eating dinner. Yes, I need a step stool to work on it but it works out perfectly in my situation.
So how how is your stand and what would you change anything on your next display?
This poll is directed to the users of T-5's. Curious how often you change your bulbs. Do you have a set schedule and simply change them, or do you watch the light levels and only change them when you notice deterioration in light?
Please describe your methods/reasoning below.
The other day I was thinking about my favorite part of the hobby. (for me this applies to pretty much all my hobbies)
I honestly think my favorite part is the new build. For me, that's a reef tank, making beer, cars, etc. I figured I would post a poll to see what others thought. I know it can be tough to choose so you can select two answers.
We are ramping up our video presence on Youtube and Facebook and we're looking to feature your tank and hobby videos on our channel and page here.
If you are willing to allow us to feature your tank, or any hobby related videos then please submit it to us one of the following ways.
- Post a link to it here in this thread as well as a link to your build thread or video thread from R2R.
- Email me at email@example.com and I'll send you a link to upload it to.
- Private message me a link to it.
Please also keep in mind that videos need to be as high quality as possible. We're living in a HD and 4K world so just submit the best video possible.
If we use your video then your tank/thread will receive recognition and you will receive a spiffy new "R2R TV Featured" badge under your name! Please note that submitted videos must belong to you!
Here is an example of what we will be doing!
- Post a link to it here in this thread as well as a link to your build thread or video thread from R2R.
So I had the idea to use a spare power head held in my hand to "blow" out any detritus from in and around the rocks in my fowlr tank. Worked like a charm. I was surprised how much crud got suspended in the water column only to get sucked up by the filter. Anyways, it's sorta like a leaf blower in the tank.
Would you use dry coral or fish food that has expired? How far past the date would you use it? What is the danger of using old food? #askingforafriend
-Create an account on our website *This will allow you to check out quicker.
-Please communicate with us through Private Messages and thread posts only. During the live sale we may not be able to respond immediately *Please make sure to include your full name when communicating.
-Our live sale will be from 5/5/18 Noon to Midnight est.
- Will will be posting 800+ corals that are all "what you see is what you get" WYSIWYG.
- All corals that are posted will have a link to purchase from our site. The price and name will also be posted above the coral (Please note, sometimes the R2R posted price and the price on the site may be vary slightly accidentally. The price on the site will be the one honored)
- The same coral can be in other customer's carts at the same time. The customer that checks out first will ultimately win the coral.
- All orders are final. No coupons or extra discounts will be applied to live sale corals.
- Freebies/ $1,5,10 corals are a 1:1 ratio, you must purchase 1 regular sale priced item for every super discounted coral.
-Shipping will be a flat $34.99 during the live sale and $24.99 for FL residents.
-There is NO need to purchase shipping modules prior to our live sale.
-When you check out for your first order select "Live Sale Shipping" followed by the date you want to receive your corals. Any additional orders select "Combine with existing order"
-During checkout you will have the ability to select to receive the corals on the following days:
5/9 - 5/10 - 5/11
-LOCAL PICKUP IS ONLY AVAILABLE DURING WEEKDAYS
- [CLICK HERE] to read our guarantee policy
- Make sure to create an account on our site before the live sale. This will save you time during your checkout process.
- Save your Paypal information it will make checking out much faster! (MUCH faster, don't miss out on your corals!)
- 2 $100 Gift Cards
- $300 Reefers Direct Frag Pack
- EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40 QD
- Tons of Free Corals throughout the live sale
How to win our Prizes?
*There are going to be 3 ways to enter the drawings. You do not have to have do all 3 to qualify however it will increase your chances to win( 3 entries max per household, one per method)
- Purchase an item on our live sale(this excludes $1/$5 corals)
- Share this image on Instagram or Facebook prior to the live sale.
Click the following links (FACEBOOK) and (INSTAGRAM) for the image.
-Make a post every hour right here in our thread during the live sale.
If you share our image and/or make a post ever hour during the live sale you must PM us after the sale so we can verify and enter you into the giveaway. Screen shots with time stamps/ post numbers are the easiest way to do this.
Member @Why-Me had a good suggestion for a poll. We're curious to see what people's thoughts are on Coralline algae. Do you just let it do its thing or do you try to control it in some manner. There was a poll on Sea Urchins earlier this week and it was discussed there. I for one just let it go because I've always been under the impression Coralline growth is a sign of a healthy tank.
So what's your take on CA?
Fellow reefer, im trying to get a feel for how many of you do ICP testing and which one you prefer.
If this is about knowing the 32 elements in your reef water, then why is there a cost difference? Excuse my ignorance or grammar. Just looking for input.
I have a poll, which one to pick and how many of you do it vs. dont. You can pick multiple answers!!!
Here is what i have questions about
Triton labs 50$
Thank you for your input #reefsquad
I remember when the zoa craze of 2004 hit and the world was changed forever! Well the aquarium world that is! Since that time many many different morphs have entered the trade and with it the prices increased! Old popular morphs lost value and excitement and new morphs broke record pricing.
That being said has the zoa machine slowed? Is it still as popular as it once was or am I the one who lost my zeal for those little beautiful animal buttons?
A few old school I don't see anymore...
Cat Eye (looks kinda plain but that yellow/green mouth popped)
Armageddon (not the fake ones)
Last year I did a Work Education course. Part of this course involved doing a bit of work experience. One of the places where I did work experience was a pet store that sells fish and reptiles. During the week that I spent there, one of the jobs I was given was putting a bucket load of Sea urchins in a tank. I didn't even know that people were allowed to keep Sea urchins. How popular are they with aquarium owners?
We did a poll on this a while back, but it's so often asked I'm curious to see the current trend. It may be interesting to compare to the prior poll to see what if anything has changed in the battle against these little boogers.
So list is long and I may have missed a method, so feel free to discuss your methods.
I have a titanium grounding probe that I always placed in my sump. Seeing as I am rebooting my 125 gal, I am wondering where everyone places their probes. My reasoning for placing the grounding probe in the sump is my hands are mostly in the sump during maintenance and so long as the main pump is pumping to the DT I will receive the benefit of having my DT grounded as well. What are your thoughts on this and where do you place your grounding probe and more importantly your reasoning?
ACANLORD LIVE SALE RULES
· Live Sale Date - April 21st
· Time - 11AM to 11PM (Central Time)
· We will post around 8 corals every 5 minutes at $10 or above throughout the sale. There will be a link under each picture which will then bring you to our website where you can complete your purchase.
Please Note: To keep things consistent and fair, you must purchase any coral $20 or above to purchase a coral $15 and below for a 1:1 ratio.
Please note: If this rule is not followed, we will have to issue a refund and repost the discounted corals.
· We will give you 1 free raffle ticket for each purchase as a thank you. (For example, if you buy 12 corals, you will earn 12 raffle tickets.)
· Post your “Check-ins” each hour for all 12 hours to qualify for 1 additional raffle ticket.
· We will post the raffle winners within the week following the live sale.
· There will be tons of giveaways which will include more than $1000 of free prizes!
· All purchases must be made through the website and you must have an AcanLord account prior to purchasing. Guest checkout will be unavailable.
· In order to ship successfully, a shipping module must be purchased for $39.99. This applies to ALL orders, no matter the order total. Preorders will receive 1 additional raffle ticket. (Does not apply to local customers, see further below.)
· In the rare event that you purchase a shipping module and don’t purchase a coral, we will happily issue a refund.
· Shipping modules will represent the date of shipping and not arrival date. (There are a limited number of ship outs on each day, so preorder to secure your ship date.) If a shipping module is not purchased, we won’t know what day to ship your order.
· We cannot be held responsible for shipping carrier delays which are out of our control. Therefore, we will not issue refunds due to these delays.
· All orders will be backed by our live arrival 10 day guarantee.
· All sales are final. No refunds.
· We will not combine orders for different people. Your payments should share the same email at checkout.
· Any orders placed after the sale can be combined with your live sale order. Please contact us ASAP so you don't miss your scheduled shipment.
· No additional discounts, coupons, or certificates apply.
· We ship only within continental US.
FREE LOCAL PICKUP! Please arrange a time with us to pickup your items so we can keep our orders organized. Earn a raffle ticket by RSVPing as "going" to our Facebook event.
· In order to make it a fair process, the first person to successfully complete their payment transaction will win the items in their cart. If your item is added to the cart, it is not secured until the payment is confirmed.
· Please do not pm us via R2R. They will not be replied to during the live sale. Please email us and we will respond to any concerns immediately.
· NOTE: Please remember to treat your fellow R2R family members respectfully, and be mindful of the many younger reefers viewing these threads. Vulgar language, slandering, and degrading behavior will not be tolerated.
· Most importantly, let’s remember why we got into this hobby and have a ton of fun, laughs, and collect some sweet new animals for our tanks!
Click HERE to purchase your shipping module!
Does your tank take a back seat in the summer for other hobbies? I know when summer comes my tank doesn't take a back seat as far as maintenance (mostly auto) but I really don't get much as far as frags or livestock. I'm usually tinkering with the cars and going to car shows on the weekends. Can't wait. What is it your waiting for warmer weather to do?
Simple question in hopes of generating some conversation regarding potassium. Do you or do you not test for potassium? If so, what are you using to dose for it? I personally have never measured for it so I'm curious to see what folks are doing when it comes to K.
Get a $15 coupon code to use toward the Live Sale. Find out how below!
Didn't make it to RAP last weekend? Join us this Saturday for our Live Sale with over 500 corals at over 50% discount. There will be lots of $5 and $10 corals through out the sale as well!
The Live Sale will take place in this thread. We will post a link, price, and image to each coral that you can purchase from our website. Everything is WYSIWYG, and first pay first serve. You must have an account registered on our website to make a purchase. So make sure you are logged in and ready as items will get sold fast.
On Saturday before the Live Sale starts, we will send a $15 coupon code to everyone on our mailing list that can be used in the Live Sale. All you have to do is subscribe to our mailing list. You can do so by doing either of the following:
1. Sign up by going to our website at www.piecesoftheocean.com, find the "Subscribe" field on the bottom of the page:
2. Or, create a new account on our website. Once validated and activated, you will be automatically added to our mailing list.
No other prior credit or coupon code can be used in this Live Sale. Our standard Guarantee Policy applies. No cancellation or substitutes on Live Sale orders. One ship out box per customer/no combining ship outs. You can however pick up for your friend.
There is no free shipping for the Live Sale. Our standard shipping fees apply ($20 for NY, NJ, and CT, and $45 everywhere else). You only have to pay shipping once when you check out the first time. After you will choose "Local pickup or combine with an existing order" so you don't have to pay shipping again. Local pick up is welcome. You must choose a shipping date and pay shipping on your first item or we will not know when to ship your order. Below is a screenshot of what you will see when you check out.
Every hour we will put one nice coral up on auction within the popular Auction section of our site. Each auction will run for an hour, with $1 starting bid at $1 increment and no reserve. Anyone that participates in every auction will qualify to win our grand prize of having 50% of the entire Live Sale order REFUNDED, including any auction winning! Note that the number of bids, the amount you bid, and whether you win or not will not affect your chance of winning. One entry per customer. This is an 8-hour Live Sale so there will be 8 auctions total. As long as you participate by bidding in every auction, you qualify! It's as easy as that! All winning auction must be paid for within 30 minutes or we will put it on Second Chances for others to buy. Please remember to read our Auction Rules and Policy before bidding. Abusers will be banned and disqualified!
All communication will be conducted via email to support(AT)piecesoftheocean.com. No PM will be answered during the Live Sale.
Page 5 of 16