Feb 2020 POTM photo critique

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As previously announced, there will be a photo critique thread after each POTM, where the 5 first pictures will be re-posted and where all members are encouraged to critique the picture.
The photography aspect as well as the object of the picture can both be assessed that is what you liked most aboout framing, exposure, focus, shutter speed, DOF... as well as whether you would have preferred a different object or a different position or angle of the subject... you are also encouraged to discuss what you think could have been improved in the pictures.
Needless to say that the main objective of the photo critique is for us all to learn what makes a good picture in everyone else's point of view and to overall maybe improve ones shots or also discuss and teach others how to take better shots. Critique is to be kept constructive, discussion is of course encouraged and if possible retakes of the same pictures as per outcome of discussion is definitely a welcome addition.
looking forward for great participation and discussion to keep these threads active.
#POTMcritique #POTM

POTM Winner @pokerdobe
Room shot-1 Pokerdobe.jpg

2 @acesfull44
20200229_111932-2 Acesfull44.jpg

3 @Bacon505
E7854227-2C48-49DD-B90F-063D553DDB732-3 Bacon505.jpeg

4 @4FordFamily
23C06BB0-F6D7-4D04-B050-6F1A15118A4B-4 4 Ford Family.jpeg

5 @maroun.c
PANO_20200223_175838-5.jpg

Points to discuss or critique would be how the picture matches contest topic, what you like most about the picture photographically like exposure, composition, DOF…

The artistic value of the picture, why you like the end result and what could have been improved in your opinion….

This is a reefing forum so a critique of the tank positioning in the room, scape, coral colors fish collection.... is definitely most welcome as well.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic 1 by @pokerdobe

An amazing picture IMHO in many aspects.

The room and the picture conveys a cosy feeling. I’m not sure if this is a corner of the room or a small room yet regardless of all there is an amazing use of space without having the tank or furniture take to much size. One nitpick that would not be possible easily is if it had been possible to have the tank lower to be viewed at eye level while seated, yet this is rarely possible when we have to fit equipment under the tank…

Photographically a very challenging shot with an over lit tank (in comparison to the rest of the room) and a darker surrounding room. Note that tank is well exposed and the artwork on the wall or the couches which are in darker location in the room can still be well seen. The room lights could have been turned on to make it easier to get details in the darker room VS the well lit tank, yet this would have taken a lot of the contrast in the picture and I believe would have killed the warm feeling this picture conveys.

One small issue is the appearance of photography noise in the dark areas of the picture which is to be expected as exposure is being pushed in the shadows area, still it’s a minor effect and is barely noticeable.

Two main thing that take this picture to a higher level is leading your eyes to the key element in the picture ie the tank:

-Going from dark to more exposed light which leads your eye to the tank.

-Leading lines: (a key element in photography and which should be there in any shot)

The V created by the light spill on the wall works amazingly to lead your eye with the converging lines at the tank.

As for the tank it complements the perfection in the picture with a very neat setup, no cable clutter, minimal visible equipment. A very nice scape that escalates going from front to back with a space in between thee two structures which I’m sure adds to the 3 D effect of this tan. This is completed by great color distribution. I can’t see many fish but do see an Achilles tang which I’m sure contrasts well to the tank colorful background.

In short this is a picture that conveys a warm feeling of a tank room we all want to go back to after a long day at work, this made it a winner and pushed us all to vote for it.

Be it that the poster is an experienced photographer or be it a lucky shot I believe many things went right in this picture, which very well deserves nailing Feb POTM. Well done and congrats.

Pic 2 by @acesfull44

Another very nice room, tank and picture.

I love the use of space to have the tank as part of the wall and where it blends very well with room decoration and simply doesn’t look like a tank we just placed there.

I very much like the room overall, I’m not sure if there are any seating areas in that room to look at the tank or if ti’s meant to be viewed standing. If it does have seats I believe they should have been included in photographically possible so we get a better idea how the tank is viewed. If tank is to be viewed standing then maybe including couple persons looking at the tank and chating in the picture would have added an more dynamic element.

Photographically room lighting I’m afraid takes the eye away from the tank and I find myself looking more at the hanged pictures, which Again is perfectly fine if owner has another passion and the tank is just to make the room look nicer.

Taking the picture with white balance correction to make the tank more visible and have the room follow with lights completely off or maybe dimmed, similar to Pokerdobe picture is to be experimented with as it might have generated a picture with more focus on the tank or maybe a more contrasty overall feel.

Still a very deserving shot where poster combined 2 passions in one room in a neat and clutter free setup that I believe works very well.

Pic 3 by @Bacon505

Another very nice room that captures the tank and the room pretty nicely and tells much how the tank is enjoyed.

I love to be able to see the tank from multiple areas be it the kitchen table, the seating area or the kids play area.

A lovely setup where the choice of a simple tank where the white stand and rimless look blends very well in the room style. Simpler lighting options do exist but the selected fixture matches well with the visible kitchen hood, so over all I very much like how the tank sits in the room.

Photographically same comment as above applies in having tan lighting lead the overall lighting but in this case I believe the way poster took the picture is the best to showcase the relaxed layout and how tank blends in. one other areas to experiment is taking two pictures one with WB corrected for tank lighting and another as this one was taken and swapping tanks in post processing which would show the best of both worlds.

I would have cropped this shot at the back of the seats which would have gave a bit more space for the tank to look a little bigger in the pic, still this is only nitpicking.

As for the tank, as mentioned I love the simple tank layout, and how neat it looks. I see an amazing floating scape and this picture make me really want to see more of this tank. Another amazing picture, well done!

Pic 4 by @4FordFamily

Wow you matched picture rating and username!!!!

Another very nice room layout and a very nice in wall setup that looks pretty neat.

Believe you’re missing a seat that faces the tank J

Another picture with the room VS tank lighting mismatch. I would have loved to see more of the tank. Maybe experiment a bit with reducing room lighting and WB correction to see the tank. I also see some softness in the picture around the tank so may be a shot with more DOF or smaller aperture would show the tank better.

I really love how the tank blends with the room but yet how its color contrsts with the whole room and I’m sure it makes an amazing display.

Again a tank room you want to have your dinner in and watch the tank!

Pic 5 by @maroun.c

Not easy to critique ones picture, so will just go through what I like and what I don’t like about it.

Tank room was planned around the tank when it was designed with lighting aligned with the tank and the tank popping out from the cabinet Vs an in wall tank to be more visible from second seating area as well as have more dynamics with the cabinet angular lines….

Tank is direcly in your face while waling in which makes for a nice wow effect.

Could have gone with a tank double the size but believe that current dimensions match the living space better.

Room layout was difficult to show both rooms and still have the tank clearly seen which I believe might have taken away from tank cabinet and the real view I get.

Tank is the center of the room and visible from any seated position in the room and even reflects nicely on windows at night time…. Scape was carefully studied with 3 islands positioned and sized to allow the most viewing from most positons in the room as well as an extended #D effect with the orientation of the islands.

Picture struggles with tank VS room lighting which I was aware off while taking the picture. I had tried some shots without roomlighting which conveyed a warmer feeling for the living space yet as lighting is aligned with the tank and creates nice leading lines to the tank I went with the lit picture.

Composition could have been best to crop both rooms and maybe show the tank cabinet and dining table but again as the subject was tank room I opted for a full tank shot realizing it would minimize the tank.

Swapping the tank with a close up shot with corrected WB would also have shown a nicer look of the tank .

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) It's just too glam

2) Your sports affiliations are all over the place

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I very much enjoyed reading your commentary here, @maroun.c! Thanks for doing this!

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@maroun.c Thank you very much for the critique, as well as your efforts in the details of each photo. It was fun to participate, and I can use this to better my photos moving forward. I took this picture with my phone, and wished I would have used my daughters Cannon instead. I do have another passion, collecting memorabilia as you can see, so the beauty for me is the combination of both, as this is where I spend the majority of my time. It is more of a standing/gathering aread to enjoy the tank, as the basement was actually designed around the tank itself. While the picture doesn't show this, there is seating at the bar as well as another area the one could enjoy the viewing as well. I had no expectations of the contest honestly, and its really cool to see everyone's tanks/rooms as there were many beautiful settings. (wife likes @4FordFamily the best)

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@maroun.c Thank you very much for the critique, as well as your efforts in the details of each photo. It was fun to participate, and I can use this to better my photos moving forward. I took this picture with my phone, and wished I would have used my daughters Cannon instead. I do have another passion, collecting memorabilia as you can see, so the beauty for me is the combination of both, as this is where I spend the majority of my time. It is more of a standing/gathering aread to enjoy the tank, as the basement was actually designed around the tank itself. While the picture doesn't show this, there is seating at the bar as well as another area the one could enjoy the viewing as well. I had no expectations of the contest honestly, and its really cool to see everyone's tanks/rooms as there were many beautiful settings. (wife likes @4FordFamily the best)
Thanks for all he info, its great to see basements or rooms built around tanks or how people manage to combine 2 hobbies in their living space.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@maroun.c Wow, that was definitely the best laid and well thought out comments regarding photos I've seen in a while. Kudos and thanks for all the feedback for all those pictures! Super appreciative.

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@maroun.c Wow, that was definitely the best laid and well thought out comments regarding photos I've seen in a while. Kudos and thanks for all the feedback for all those pictures! Super appreciative.
Thanks for the kind words and congrats again on a very deserving shot.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The homes where these pics are taken are a amazingly gorgeous.
I like them overall, and can say none really state that the tank is a focal point of the room although in essence they are a part of the décor.
That that it is required, but noticed those with pics around tanks, none had fish, coral or ocean scenery.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back