Fed reef roids and wow a tank crash?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the roids once a week. Tank is Fluval 13.5. Anyway sometimes after I feed a day later. Not uncommon for water to cloud a bit but gone soon after. This week I fed. Woke up this morning. Water cloudy and cyano growing on my glass and the overflow box. Tank looks like a mess looks like I haven’t cleaned it in two months. It’s so strange. Anyone else have had this. I added some reef plus for the slime and later I’m going to do a water change. I usually do 30 percent every two weeks.

Vwluv10338

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any help but I struggle to keep nutrients in my system and have dosed reef roids every other day for a week with no issues.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked nitrates and stupid API kit says basically none

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ok. Hmm I haven’t checked phosphates in a while but everything has been fine and crystal clear

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean out the sponge in the back? (I promise this is relevant lol)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt feeding reef roids once would immediately cause cyano. Where were your nitrates/phosphates at before feeding and where are they now?

You're using the api vial tests right?

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also some Cy is no tank crash I'd say. I was expecting to find your livestock dead, then again I was also figuring the dose would be too high that u were using.

I use reef roids about once a week and use a lot less than is reccomended.

But I agree reef ab is nice. I u Der dose this as well in the Fluval (also depends ur stock listing)

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just two small clowns on there some hermits bio load is small this aft I will check the parameters again and I’m due for a water change anyway

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your actual nitrate and phosphate readings ?

I use a mix of reef roids and reef energy but only once every 2 weeks in both my systems as provided you have some nitrates in there (not phosphate) I don’t think it’s necessary and can cause high nutrient related issues.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the roids once a week. Tank is Fluval 13.5. Anyway sometimes after I feed a day later. Not uncommon for water to cloud a bit but gone soon after. This week I fed. Woke up this morning. Water cloudy and cyano growing on my glass and the overflow box. Tank looks like a mess looks like I haven’t cleaned it in two months. It’s so strange. Anyone else have had this. I added some reef plus for the slime and later I’m going to do a water change. I usually do 30 percent every two weeks.

Reef roids is basically just nutrients. Are you target feeding or broadcast feeding? You may be putting too much in the water. Highly suggest you dont broadcast and you target feed. Turn off all your powerheads when you do it.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids is almost all phosphate. If you aren’t testing for that and only testing nitrate it might sneak up on you. You may have just reached a tipping point with your phosphate levels. Test it and see where you’re at.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it's been thrown out and replaced with a media basket. Removed my ugly phase from my Fluval. That sponge was a phosphate bomb.

My reasoning is that the bacterial and cyano bloom would be caused by a biofilter disruption. Cleaning the sponge out with tap or ro would kill the nitrifying bacteria (as well as others).

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of bio filter disruption I changed the filter floss yesterday. I only target feed and I turn all flow off. But yes I’m sure I’m feeding too much just did a large water change phosphates were .03 nitrates barely a trace

Back