Feed corals or not?

Jason sun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers,

I’ve been keeping my eyes on my reef’s nutrients for couple of months. Everything goes to a very simple question: Do I need to feed corals if I have stable phosphate (0.04-0.05) and nitrate (15-20 ppm)?
In other words, does 0.05 phosphate + 15 ppm nitrate means the water nutrients are enough to support SPS growing without throwing in any other organic stuffs like reef roids?
I only feed fish right now so nutrients can be under control.
Any idea helps. Thanks.

Parameters:
Alk 8.2-8.4
Cal 420
Mg 1350
Phosphate: 0.05
Nitrate 15-20ppm
Par:500-600

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feeding the fish generally provides food source for coral. If you want an assurance, use product such as reef roids OR coral frenzy and mix with RO or Tank water and cut flow for a few minutes and feed the food by turkey baster or suspended method and resume pump operation after a few minutes

OP
OP
Jason sun

Jason sun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding the fish generally provides food source for coral. If you want an assurance, use product such as reef roids OR coral frenzy and mix with RO or Tank water and cut flow for a few minutes and feed the food by turkey baster or suspended method and resume pump operation after a few minutes
Thanks! Every time I spot feeding reef roids, phosphate goes out of control for couple of days..... Usually phosphate increases from 0.05 to 0.25+ the day after feeding and slowly drop about 0.04 each day. A real headache....

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed my lps corals mysis shrimp. They love it and are growing super fast!

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using Reef Roids 2 weeks ago and my micromussa went from death's door to sprouting new heads practically the next day.

My nitrates are creeping up, too, went from 0 to 15 in the past few weeks, but I've read threads from people here who are like, "Yeah, my nitrates have been over 80 for years and everything is fine." I don't know if they're full of it or not.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back