Feed like a geek...Your reef will LOVE you for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed like a geek...Your reef will LOVE you for it!

As you know, when I'm not stoking fellow reefers with cool corals, I get to travel around the country and talk about geeky reef topics. One of my most in-demand topics is "Nutrient Control and Export", which, in other words, is a nice way of saying "Getting the nasty stuff out of your aquarium."

I'm compelled to touch on this today (nutrient CONTROL) because of a (very) long phone call with a reefer yesterday about the crazy algae bloom his 225 reef is enduring. When we got down to the nitty-gritty, it turned out he had accumulated a few bad habits, one of which specifically led to his algae issues without a doubt: Sloppy feeding!

Obviously, you've heard me rant about water changes and why I think they are so great, so I'm not going to touch on them today. Rather, I'm going to focus very succinctly on one of the easiest ways to PREVENT problems in the first place: feeding carefully. Let me clarify one thing...in our commercial operation, we are dumping significant food inputs into our raceways, but we are also changing large quantities of water on a weekly basis. We are careful about how we feed, administering the food and not the fluids that it's contained in whenever possible. You should do this, too.

system_DSC1002-2.jpg

One of the easiest to control sources of excess nutrients in captive systems is food. Frozen and other prepared foods contain large quantities of phosphate and other organics that can seriously degrade the water quality in even the largest aquariums. When feeding frozen foods, it is of utmost importance that you do not simply dump the food, frozen juices and all, directly into your aquarium. The processing juices contain huge amounts of nutrients that may not be utilized by the life forms in your aquarium, and thus accumulate, creating optimal conditions for...nuisance algae. And we've all been guilty of this bad habit - we're too busy living our regular lives, and it's easy to just "toss a few cubes" in the tank on our way out the door.

Bad practice. Think about it. A lot of the juice in frozen foods (and for that matter, a lot of the food itself) simply goes right down your overflow or into the substrate, where it can accumulate to feed algae blooms! Bad news.

My solution: Always thaw out frozen foods slowly in a container of water, then dump out the water, and feed the food with a toothpick or other small implement. Or, thaw out the food in a container, then pour into a fine mesh net and rinse before dispensing into the aquarium. Yes, this technique is a bit more tedious, but it will significantly reduce the amount of excess organics that enter the aquarium. It is a basic tenant of aquarium keeping that you should only feed as much food as your fishes will consume in a reasonable length of time, and that uneaten food should be removed before it has a chance to decompose and affect water quality.

This may seem alternately like either a pain in the rear, or a stupidly easy concept. Yes, it's a bit slower than just dumping the food in the tank, but you'll have way more control over what is going in to your tank! The thing is, if you develop a good feeding "protocol", it's one less thing you have to consider when these nuisance algae issues occur.

When utilizing liquid foods, such as those developed for invertebrates, be sure to use a syringe or baster to “target feed†the animals. Shut off the flow in your system while feeding, to at least give yourself a "fighting chance" of getting the food where it belongs! Some hobbyists actually remove animals such as Tubastrea, and even small clams, to a separate container to allow them to feed without fear of polluting the display tank.This is a super effective technique for nano tanks, where small variations in water quality are a major issue.

All that handling may or may not be bad for some animals, but I can tell you that I've done this with nano tanks and it made a huge difference in water quality and the overall health of my coral. And, in the end, the coral did not have any issues with regular "handling", much to my delight. The extra time it takes to do this can reward the diligent aquarist with much higher water quality, and less possibility of nuisance algae appearing in the display tank...or even your 1,200 gallon propagation raceways!

UCsuper-red-bowerbanki-frag-group-shot-thumbnail.jpg

Bottom line is this: You'll never be hurting your reef if you embrace a more careful feeding technique! Anything you can do to waste less food and get it into the mouths of the animals instead of your sanded, sump, or filter pads is a good investment of reef time and energy! Your diligence will be rewarded with a healthier, more vibrant reef with thriving, colorful corals!

UC1inch-chesterfieldensis-38-inventory-6.jpg

UC-1inch-super-blue-tenuis-38-inventory-6.jpg

What is your favorite feeding technique? I'm also curious how often you're feeding your reefs, and with what foods. As a propagator, it's always interesting for us to hear what types of care our customers provide the animals when they receive them. If we align our protocols similar to what the corals receive in their owners' care (or vice-versa) , we can probably all benefit from this shared knowledge!

Anyways, as always- keep the dialogue open! Let's learn from each other!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited by a moderator:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 5+ year old 12g AIO Nano I feed in succession 4x/day: two types of flakes (animal and animal/veggie based), micro pellets and frozen (Rod's original). Basically, a pinch of each is enough to stuff my two Clowns and the leftover circulates freely. Once a week I also spot-feed the corals with frozen Mysis, Baby Brine, Copepods and Rod's. I use a free flowing system with no artificial mechanical or chemical filtration, so the food is circulated in the water volume until it is either captured or is forced into the substrate and live rock.

One aspect of feeding that is often overlooked is the importance of smaller food inputs, more often vs. larger inputs, less often. I feel that the former is a much better approach since it allows a system as a whole to deal more efficiently with the introduced nutrients.

It's difficult to speak of feeding without dscussing nutrient export since the two go hand-in-hand to create a successful, balanced reef tank system. The 'sweet-spot' between the two where the corals, higher organisms and beneficial bacteria thrive, but algae and harmful bacteria don't, is a good place to be.

Oh, and after many months in my tank, your corals are doing great BTW ('Indo Red Cherry Blasto' in front, 'Ultra Lobo' in the rear):

Blastos600x800_092113_zps02c4e055.jpg

Ralph.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 5+ year old 12g AIO Nano I feed in succession 4x/day: two types of flakes (animal and animal/veggie based), micro pellets and frozen (Rod's original). Basically, a pinch of each is enough to stuff my two Clowns and the leftover circulates freely. Once a week I also spot-feed the corals with frozen Mysis, Baby Brine, Copepods and Rod's. I use a free flowing system with no artificial mechanical or chemical filtration, so the food is circulated in the water volume until it is either captured or is forced into the substrate and live rock.

One aspect of feeding that is often overlooked is the importance of smaller food inputs, more often vs. larger inputs, less often. I feel that the former is a much better approach since it allows a system as a whole to deal more efficiently with the introduced nutrients.

It's difficult to speak of feeding without dscussing nutrient export since the two go hand-in-hand to create a successful, balanced reef tank system. The 'sweet-spot' between the two where the corals, higher organisms and beneficial bacteria thrive, but algae and harmful bacteria don't, is a good place to be.

Oh, and after many months in my tank, your corals are doing great BTW ('Indo Red Cherry Blasto' in front, 'Ultra Lobo' in the rear):

Blastos600x800_092113_zps02c4e055.jpg

Ralph.

Ralph, thanks for sharing! That Blasto looks amazing! And I appreciate your thoughts on feeding and nutrient export...You're right, thye go hand in hand!

-Scott

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may seem more time consuming and a PITA to rinse and clean your food. Just always remember... cleaning any kind of algae (especially hair) is a much greater chore!

pufferboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point i would feed single pellets to each of my corals mouths LOL. Also turning off the flow and spot feeding with different powdered coral foods each feeding session. All the leftovers from the feeding were purged out via weekly water changes also! Ask Buddythelion he saw me spend a good 1hr plus feeding each mouth of my acans in my tank!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome topic!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point i would feed single pellets to each of my corals mouths LOL. Also turning off the flow and spot feeding with different powdered coral foods each feeding session. All the leftovers from the feeding were purged out via weekly water changes also! Ask Buddythelion he saw me spend a good 1hr plus feeding each mouth of my acans in my tank!

That's a serious hardcore reef geek! LOVE it!

-Scott

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the third or fourth thread this week I have read about rinsing food. The other articles had a link to a write up about frozen foods not having enough phosphate to worry about. Interesting debate.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the third or fourth thread this week I have read about rinsing food. The other articles had a link to a write up about frozen foods not having enough phosphate to worry about. Interesting debate.

I think it is an interesting topic- the amount of phosphates and other potential algae nutrients in foods...I'm absolutely certain that there is a minimal amount of phosphate and so forth in any given "pinch" or "cube" of frozen food. I've subscribed to this practice of rinsing for years, and I've never had any algae issues or water quality problems. However, the concern isn't the nutrients in that one cube...it's the cumulative effect of everyday "doses" of uneaten food and packing juices...If it's not being utilized by your fishes and corals, it's feeding algae! So my thinking has always been, why allow excesses of food and food materials to accumulate in the first place? Clean aquariums are happier aquariums...Ancecdotal? No doubt, but I'll err on the side of caution any time! Just my two cents.

Good stuff!

Scott

ReefHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is indeed very interesting. As a hobbyist who keeps a mixed reef I find it difficult to keep a lot of my lps happy with feeding while also maintaining my sps with lower po4 levels.....
I like to feed frozen mysis to a lot of my lps but as mentioned I find that I need to rinse it first..... Well I guess I don't need to.... but when I do a good target feeding to all lps and I don't rinse then my po4 will jump from undetectable (using Hanna phosphorous) to 0.04ish.....but when I rinse it and feed same amount I detect nothing! Very good thread here guys!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is indeed very interesting. As a hobbyist who keeps a mixed reef I find it difficult to keep a lot of my lps happy with feeding while also maintaining my sps with lower po4 levels.....
I like to feed frozen mysis to a lot of my lps but as mentioned I find that I need to rinse it first..... Well I guess I don't need to.... but when I do a good target feeding to all lps and I don't rinse then my po4 will jump from undetectable (using Hanna phosphorous) to 0.04ish.....but when I rinse it and feed same amount I detect nothing! Very good thread here guys!

Good point about trying to find that happy medium...and like the measurable results you're getting on phosphate while feeding...So much to learn and share here.

-Scott

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about something like Rod's food? There are ingredients in there that I would think be strained out. I keep several gorgonians and always hoped they liked the slop. Then again I always have a little algae growing somewhere.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about something like Rod's food? There are ingredients in there that I would think be strained out. I keep several gorgonians and always hoped they liked the slop. Then again I always have a little algae growing somewhere.

It's never a bad thing to have some algae...And some of the small particulate gets into the system to be utilized by filter feeders...But I would wager that the vast majority of truly small-particle-sized stuff goes...down the overflow!

-Scott

Shtiff1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 mixed reef. I feed every other day. Fish and some corals get a food mix that I made of shrimp, clams, mussels, cuddle fish, squid, mysis, cyclops, and reef chili. Once I finely chopped all ingredients I rinsed food then froze. They get a piece every other day. Corals get the same ingredients that were purified in a blender mixed with reef chili. Every other day. 10% water changes every week. My phosphates have always been around .36. Nitrates about 7. We had some red slime a little earlier, we got rid of it. Now some spots come and go. Tank is about 9 months old.
ytedanyb.jpg

Dustin1300

Reefaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reelsilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tank exclusively Reef Frenzy. There is no washing or rinsing and is far superior than any other frozen food on the market now. It is enhanced with pro biotics and made with locally sourced NC seafood. I would HIGHLY suggest checking hid food out. There are several you tube videos on it, Mr. Saltwater Tank demonstrated it and Thomas has done a few commercials on it. It has also been raved in reef hobbyist magazine.

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaw out a frozen cube, discard liquid, then feed it to my fish with a syringe over a 2-3 hour period each day.

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never a bad thing to have some algae...And some of the small particulate gets into the system to be utilized by filter feeders...But I would wager that the vast majority of truly small-particle-sized stuff goes...down the overflow!

-Scott

I agree a lot of the small particles are not consumed. When I feed I shut all pumps off, returns and powerhead. Does everyone else do the same?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back