Feedback on Captive Bred Fish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bee144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby after a 10 year break. Super excited. I am also excited to have come across Dr Reef’s site and will be using it to order a majority of my new pets.

One feedback though is that buying captive bred fish is important to me when possible. The site does not always make it clear if the fish is captive bred (it says most clownfish are captive but then a purple orchid dottyback does not mention, which is a fish that is easily captive bred/readily available). I would be willing to pay more $$$ or waiting a longer time for a captive bred fish and knowing that when buying would be great. I imagine that people willing to seek out the healthiest fish do it because they care about the fish and thus also care about where the fish comes from.

Anyways, thank you for looking after the fish and trying to give them the best life possible.

I’m finishing up the PVC plumbing on my tank this week and hope to start cycling it next week if all goes well. Then placing my order(s) once I’m in the clear!

Last edited:

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to buy captive bred fish. My desired fish selection has been based around what I can get captive bred. Sometimes it is hard to tell if they are captive bred, but if they 1. Do not tell you they are captive bred or tank raised and 2. They are not more expensive, than they are not captive bred.

The sites I check for captive bred selection are:

TheBiotagroup.com
Saltwateraquarium.com
Oceansgardens.com
Algaebarn.com
Pacificeastaquaculture.com
Liveaquaria.com
Bluezooaquatics.com

ORA, Biota, and Sustainable Aquatics are the 3 largest breeders that I know of. Sustainable Aquatics and many of the smaller breeders focus on clowns. If it's not a clown, and ORA or biota don't have it on their website, you probably won't find it commercially available.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back