Feedback on mixing station design for AWC on a nano

louisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am building a mixing station for my fluval 13.5 gallon. I have purchased a Kamoer XS2R AWC and setting up a mixing station in the basement next to (partially over) my sump pit. Lines have been run upstairs to my tank. Now i just need to plumb the mixing station. Below is the plumbing I am thinking about. Looking for some feedback

These were my goals.
  • Use the X2SR to pump water to and from the SW containers
  • Mixing station to just run on gravity
  • Drain into the floor drain or sump pit next to mixing containers
  • Have both containers with a safety overflow line
  • Move water from RODI container to SW mixing container using gravity
  • Ability to fully drain both containers independently at any time
  • Ability to fully flush the whole system quickly for sump maintenance
Would love some feedback on this design before I start drilling the bulkheads. There is nothing drilled yet, the plumbing you see there is for the existing sump pump.

I was planning on using 3/4" PVC pipes and Cepex Union Ball heads.

First time at this, so any feedback is welcome,

Thanks in advance...

IMG_1686.jpeg mixingstation.drawio.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it a little different. I have three reservoirs. One for DI for ATO, One for fresh salt water for AWC and one for mixing the saltwater. I use 20 gallon Brute cans on dolly's that are under my workbench in the garage. The DI and fresh saltwater tanks have dispense pumps I can turn on if I need to fill up a container with either for some reason. The DI reservoir has sensors to indicate low and full which are used by the controller to turn on the RODI and refill the DI reservoir if it is low. In the case of the fresh salt water it has the same sensors but is refilled from the Mix reservoir if it is ready to use when it goes low. Once the water is transferred from the mix reservoir to the fresh saltwater reservoir the mix tank is refilled with DI from the RODI. All I have to do is add the salt mix and press a button when the mix reservoir is ready for use. All bulkhead fittings are in the lid so no issues with the tank itself leaking. The reservoirs from left to right are mix, fresh saltwater and DI. The mix reservoir has a powerhead for circulation for mixing and a pump to transfer from mix to fresh salt water reservoir. The fresh saltwater reservoir had a pump for dispensing into other containers. That is the one with the valve hanging over the side. It also has fitting for hooking the AWC fill pump. The DI reservoir is pretty much the same other than the contents and it is hooked to the ATO pump. The drain pump, fill pump and ATO pumps are on the controller board behind the workbench. I use dosing pumps for all three. The upper left pump is the fill pump and it draws fresh salt water from the reservoir and pumps it up into the attic and down the wall through a wall plate then to the sump. The bottom left pump is the drain pump and it pulls water from the refugium section of the sump out to the wall plate through the wall up to the attic and then to pump in the garage. from the pump it goes up through the attic and down a wall then into the kitchen sink drain. The upper right pump is dosing All For Reef and is spliced into the ATO tubing to the tank. The bottom left pump is the ATO pump and it draws water form the DI reservoir then up through the attic down the wall through a wall plate then to the overflow. The ATO flow will carry the All for reef to the tank which is 35ft from the garage along with the DI for top off. All 4 pumps have a check valve on the output side. I mainly did that on the pumps originally when the drain pump had one before it got to the kitchen sink drain. So I also placed one on the fill so they had the same restriction. I used to run them siamotainously with the same output. Now the drain runs for a given time which is 11 minutes then the fill runs till it is back to full level. Both the ATO and fill pump use the same full sensor. The ATO is disabled during the AWC sequence.

ABB3D2ED-08E2-4B2C-AF69-958121678FF6.jpeg
8BC9CC49-BE2B-44BD-BF3C-D69DAB8362AE.jpeg
E678D36A-85C7-4E4C-9339-B90FDFC5E11F.jpeg 483E9193-35D2-49D5-9C8E-9ED8F243912C.jpeg
9A356085-B39C-42B4-9E76-AC052DFBC75A.jpeg

in the photo below is the full right side of the control board with the pumps and the solenoids for RODI control. This was before I switch to two separate pumps for drain and fill. I was using a dual head pump when the photo was taken. The upper pump shelf is for a tank that has not been setup yet so those pumps are not in use. They are spares.

37C798D8-5A59-4563-A380-222F5F6C016E.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back