Feedback on my first aquascape?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After inheriting a biocube I decided to upgrade all of its inhabitants into a bigger home and set up my first reef tank! Just need to glue down my rock structure. What do y’all think?

150g, plan on doing a mixed reef, there’s about 6” of clearance on the right side for coral

FAB334C0-A79E-45A9-BA2D-DF6F9D8B7AA3.jpeg
B4CB1BDB-2293-4D7A-9DD9-C3F974EB9E68.jpeg

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Really appreciate the second opinion

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few issues that I see. If cloth is representing length and width of your tank, your scape is way too close to the edges, which means it will be way too close to the glass. You wont be able to get magnet in there to clean glass properly. Also, unless you have lots of water movement, all those alcoves will get detritus buildup inside them, and will be pain to clean up and suction out of tank. While it may looks cool, there arent that many hiding spots for fish, which is one of the primary uses for scape. You want to give fish room to hide if they need to. Finally if you plan on having SPS on the right side, you want to have height of your scape be at about 1/2 the total height of the tank. That way there is enough room for corals to grow up (ex: 24" high tank, height should be about 12-14" for scape)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Only things I see: the structure on the left may be a problem with its proximity to your glass, and also fish hiding spots. The detritus issue would only be an issue depending on how you set up your power heads.

that’s said I’m a newb so take what I say worth a grain of salt lol (didn’t mean that to be a pun )

atnet360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Definitely mind the clearance between the rock and the glass but that should be easy enough.

One other thing I would recommend is to use some rubble rock to fill some of the gaps between the larger rocks on the left side. Might make it look a little more natural.

MagikarpSalad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! If space is an issue, maybe scoot the two main structures together and center the whole thing? Also curious - what varieties / quantities / options of rock did you buy (if you don't mind sharing)?

Please post more pics when you get it in your tank!

lagoon360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, I like the 1/3 - 2/3 size ratio. As others noted do be mindful of proximity to the glass. You'll appreciate having the room to work in the tank!

OP
OP
Mkvc

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I couldn't reproduce it exactly when I actually moved it into the tank (plumbing/overflow got in the way) but I took your advice into account. I have clearance for a glass cleaner all the way around, added some caves, and dropped the height a little.

Will post a picture when the dust from the sand settles.

It's 150lbs of MarcoRocks Reefsaver. Really easy to work with! I also put in a couple of pieces of fiji liverock from my biocube to help seed it.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I would bring the rock in a bit closer. Also, a bit too "cavey" I used to love caves and then I noticed they were pockets for build up and places for things to die which become un retrievable once encrusted in corals

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 139 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 82 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.4%
Back