Feedback on Which Calcium Reactor - Geo or Avast Marine Works

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

My tank is at the point I can no longer keep up with the alkalinity demand via the balling method. I'm dosing over 500ml a day of all 3, and barely can keep my Alk and CA where I'd like it. At $70 a month in balling salts, I think I've reached the point where a CA reactor makes sense cost wise long term.

I've always like the GeoReef reactor, but also like the price-point of the Avast SeaBones, as it will allow me to add a second chamber more cost effectively than a Geo. The second reactor is important to me, as I already have a low pH problem with my tank, and my understanding is a second reactor helps with keeping the reactor from further dropping tank pH.

If you were buying a calcium reactor, which one would you go for, and why? Also, how critical in a pH probe/controller? Can I safely get by without one (trying to keep costs down)

Appreciate any advice and opinions!

Thanks!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with a GEO, its been running over a decade so were talking a long term commitment and you want something that will last and be easy to maintain.

GEO is the standard here. Set yourself up with the largest C02 tank you can get, dont get those little bitty tanks they suck. also get a second chamber, I made one myself that works great to keep PH higher

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with a GEO, its been running over a decade so were talking a long term commitment and you want something that will last and be easy to maintain.

GEO is the standard here. Set yourself up with the largest C02 tank you can get, dont get those little bitty tanks they suck. also get a second chamber, I made one myself that works great to keep PH higher
Thank you, appreciate the reply!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back