Feeding a copperband while ticking off the others

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding a CBB can be a challenge right?
Trial#1: drop a clam in the tank. Result: clown fish bring the clam to the anemone
Trial#2: attach clam to a rock. Result: Fish pig on it, detach the meat, clown brings clam meat to anemone
Trial#3: see below. They all fail to get the food, except...
1597331667735.jpeg
1597331699060.jpeg

1597331714033.jpeg
1597331682690.jpeg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine to eat from tweezers in QT. I have a moorish idol and filefish that do also feed from tweezers but they all get some. Other fish stay away. hopefully the CBBs curiosity would eventually get him to hit on it. I use strips of clam sliced with razor to work best. If you can source live black worms mine goes nuts for them.

OP
OP
proxy001

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine to eat from tweezers in QT. I have a moorish idol and filefish that do also feed from tweezers but they all get some. Other fish stay away. hopefully the CBBs curiosity would eventually get him to hit on it. I use strips of clam sliced with razor to work best. If you can source live black worms mine goes nuts for them.
Thank you. I've been fairly lucky on the food side. He ate all my aiptasia, starting with the small ones and then tearing up the large ones... He loves frozen blood worms.
Mysis is a no no
Brine if he is hungry.
I'll try your trick !

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I got lucky as mine eats almost everything. I feed three times a day. The clams are a treat I hand feed once or twice a week. Blackworms three times a week for the gut bacteria @PaulB recommends and mysis and LRS is the daily staple. I had him in QT for six weeks and he went on various hunger strikes during that time. Once he settled into the 220DT he got less fussy.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could get a large enough clam the clownfish couldn't carry it, open it and clean it out, then rubberband it back closed except for a chip out of it or a hole drilled in it. Then put whatever you want inside. I have heard of people teaching CBBs to eat frozen that way

OP
OP
proxy001

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could get a large enough clam the clownfish couldn't carry it, open it and clean it out, then rubberband it back closed except for a chip out of it or a hole drilled in it. Then put whatever you want inside. I have heard of people teaching CBBs to eat frozen that way
Yeah, that is smart. My clown is strong enough that he could pull the rock... big old clown.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cbb and trio of mimic file fish all eat from my fingers and take frozen bloodworms and mysis with garlic so far as well as masstick, working on flake.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does you idol eat? I had great luck getting mine to eat PE pellets. So easy to keep him fat and healthy with a automatic feeder then feed frozen and seaweed on occasion.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does you idol eat? I had great luck getting mine to eat PE pellets. So easy to keep him fat and healthy with a automatic feeder then feed frozen and seaweed on occasion.
My MI eats absolutely everything, including pellets. He's always picking at the side and back glass as well. He's quite easily the fattest fish in the tank. I actually bought the Neptune AFS hoping I could cut out one or two of my three frozen food feedings a day but haven't hooked it up yet. I also feed Mid Jersey Pets Angel Diet which contains sponge a couple times a week for the MI. The CBB doesn't go near pellets and I don't expect he ever will so I'm a little nervous going down to two feedings for him. That being said I don't believe CBBs have the high metabolism of MIs so two feedings for him is probably fine. Might have to start a new thread on how often are people feeding their CBBs.

Last edited:
Back