Feeding corals in a coral only tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the A. muricata/regeneration paper! I have lots of questions about that paper, starting with lower irradiance/zoox densities. This is contrary to many observations. To be honest, I've given that reference only a cursory review but it makes me wonder if untested parameters are in play?

I will give it a re-read and see if any more thoughts are jogged with that in mind.

But when I read that article, it seemed to jibe so well with this one that it triggered an "A-hah!" in my brain:
Is the coral-algae symbiosis really ‘mutually beneficial’ for the partners?

This was my last note to myself on it after reading:
Fast growth is just another factor to consider and account for, not necessarily a sign of success or health per se.

Photosynthesis is not something they do without cost or even without stress. Higher light is always usually a significant factor in fast growth. (Right? :))

"So is more really (automatically, presumably) better?" is the question that has been rolling around in my head since at least then.

So it at least seemed to add up.

Reading... ;)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost always pays to re-read old material.....first find was in the opening paragraph. :D

Disturbances from multiple biotic and abiotic factors cause recurring losses of living tissues from coral colonies [1] and may result in sporadic severe reductions of living corals at the reef scale [2]. A colony’s integrity is maintained through rapid tissue repair [3], while regrowth from surviving colony parts greatly accelerates the recovery of damaged reefs [4] and may even reverse coral-algal phase shifts [5]. Thus, the growth and regenerative capacities of corals are fundamental to determining the resilience of reefs [5], [6] and are often used as indicators of coral colony condition and generalized to define a reef’s health status [7], [8].

So even my question about "what is coral health" is at least partly addressed in their references (7,8) which I'll be reading later.

In fact, as I've re-read the whole intro now, sifting their references on this paper is going to be a must.

Now I just need some deep reading time... Hm

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last one for now from the regeneration article:
An earlier study on this species revealed a trade-off between regeneration and growth, and indicated that they were independent of size [27].

If I'm not mistaken, I think size does correspond with feeding capactity, so this would at least seem to suggest that even lower feeding rates of a smaller coral didn't sway the regeneration ability.

That's another reference for later though. Details! ;)

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several thousand reference papers in my library. In one of them - and I haven't a clue which - it was stated that faster growth was sometimes related to reduced structural integrity of the coral skeleton. Hence, this possibility. A coral in an environment of low water motion (where skeletal strength isn't needed) and best suits the velocity needed for optimal prey capture rates, and a light field that best suits a zooxanthellae clade's radiation requirements could grow quickly. Since the growth rate is quick, perhaps regeneration isn't the priority.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way to know if a fishless tank has enough nitrates and phosphates is to attempt to grow some macro algae in the tank. If the macro algae is growing consistently then you have enough nitrates and phosphates to help out the corals. But if you start having trouble with other algae on the glass and on the rocks you may have too much, and it is time for a large water change. Just spend time looking things over and the system will give you hints as to how it is doing. I kept a fishless 5 gallon reef for 3 years doing the above, no problem. I did dose Seachem Fuel (amino acids, vitamins, and trace elements), about 6 drops per day. Everything in the reef did very well, from sponges and zoas to montipora.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed my corals mixing reef roids or reef chili and pour them into the current and have them suspended as it is in the ocean,. As it is in the natural environment, you cant turn off the ocean so I don't turn down my power heads.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back