Feeding Fish Question

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size pellets do you feed your fish? i have a lot of tangs and larger fish all my fish are over 3" and i have new life spectrum 1mm pellets and flake food and mysis most of my fish wont even bite the pellets im thinking maybe its too small and they dont recognize it as food so i ordered 3mm Ocean Nutrition pellets. im hoping they start eating pellets more rather then flakes i really dont like feeding flakes i have to feed a lot of flakes to make sure they all get some and it just makes a big mess

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the new life spectrum pellets that are 1.0-1.5mm and I feed Hikari seaweed extreme that are the small size (I'm guessing probably about 1mm also). My biggest fish is a 4-5 inch purple tang and he eats eats the smaller pellets just fine. If I only had larger fish I'd probably try to find bigger pellet food, but as it is now I have smaller fish that need the smaller pellets. IME the smaller pellets shouldn't stop the fish from recognizing it as food.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds as if you have already figured out what size pellets your fish like to eat. Now this is ‘how’ I do it. Let’s say there are three size pellets from very tiny to medium size to somewhat larger. I dump them in the tank in ratio to the fish. Meaning if I have mostly large fish with a few tiny damsels, I will put in mostly large pellets, with a few tiny pellets. When the big fish see the big pellets hit the water, that’s what they go for, and it leaves smaller size pellets for the smaller fish. Hope that makes sense; it works for me. Best wishes! :)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back