Feeding frozen clam tip

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed frozen mysis shrimp to my fish and corals, but read that they are not particularly nutritious and that clams are a much better choice because they are filter feeders and therefore contain many more diverse elements.

So I went to a local grocery to get some fresh clams. They didn't have any, but pointed me to these:

IMG_20200403_084932365.jpg
IMG_20200403_085146038.jpg
IMG_20200403_085157267.jpg

As you can see by the label, these don't contain anything but clams, no preservatives or anything else.

This 16 oz container cost me around $8 or so, about the same as one pkg of mysis cubes. I've been feeding them for probably 6 months now, and my fish and corals seem to love them and everything is doing quite well. I haven't even used half of the container yet for my 60 gal tank and 7 fish, so it's more economical than mysis (I was feeding 1/2 cube per day).

I keep the container frozen and scrape the clams out with a butter knife. This results in very fine particles for coral. If I want bigger chunks for the fish or nems, I just let it thaw for a couple minutes first.

A couple of times per week I'll mix these into a slurry with some Reef Roids and target feed my corals with it.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else is interested.

Last edited:

ld762

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where you get it from? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back