Feeding goby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

James butchart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers.
I'm a beginner with a 20 gallon tank. I have my tank up and running with no problems so far about 3-4 months now. My latest purchase for the tank is a pure white sand shfting goby. I have about 1 1/2 - 2 inch of live sand in my tank. My goby doesn't seem to be sifting the sand anymore. Could this be because he's ate all the pods that living in the sand. I'm worried I've made a bad purchase for the goby in ase I can't keep him feed and to try to will hurt my tank.
I also have 2 clown fish, cleaner shrimp, turbo snail, hermit crab and a nassarius snail in the tank.
Like to hear your taught thanks.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and Welcome to R2R.

I am not a huge fan of sand shifting goby in small tanks and more to the point small newer tanks. The goby is not so much eating pods as the goby is actually shifting all the flora and fauna in the sand bed, that food source runs out fast.. A sand shifting goby ideally should have an established tank/sand bed.

You can try offering other foods. If able I would return the fish to the LFS.

OP
OP
James butchart

James butchart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for reply.
I put flake food in the morning and in the evening put frozen brine shrimp. The other tank mates seem happy with that but the goby always looks like he wants more.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would choose a frozen food like LRS or Rods. Frozen brine and flake are not optimal for a sand sifter, and your other fish will appreciate a more inclusive and varied diet.
Once the Goby starts to appear thin than it's typically too late to intervene. The sand bed flora and fauna is highly diverse and readily consumed in a new tank and a small tank.
Hopefully someone else chimes in with a possible resolution.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I agree with Tahoe. I would return the goby to your LFS and maybe see if they have a watchman goby or another type of goby that's not a sand sifter. That would be the best option for the fish.

OP
OP
James butchart

James butchart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the best thing to do for the goby (ghost) is to ask the LFS if they would mind exchanging him for a more suitable addition to my tank. I had a feeling I was gonna have to do this after I was reading some other forums but just wanted another opinion.
Thanks the kids will be said to see him go he was fun to watch.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back