Feeding herbivores?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am planning to pick up a magnificent Foxface and a white tail bristletooth in the fairly near future and I am trying to research how to feed herbivores. I am likely over complicating this, so I would appreciate any insights here.

Based on my readings it appears on average people are feeding dried seaweed about every 1-2 days (I would love any clarification on this, especially quantity). I’m curious what are some dried foods that I can add into the mix? (When you get herbivores do you do more heavy on herbivore or carnivore foods?)

I currently feed a mix of: tdo pellets, live spectrum pellets, LRS reef frenzy, and calanus. While not a dried food, I’m considering getting the LRS herbivore— would that be worth getting and if so, would it be advisable to start feeding this over the reef frenzy?

other tank mates are/will be: 2x Dispar anthias, clownfish, yellow coris wrasse, sunburst Anthias, Royal gramma, pink streak wrasse, and court jester goby

Last edited:

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaweed on a clip is fine for herbivores. I feed it everyday but every other day would be fine as well. Two little fishies makes a magnetic clip that makes it really convenient.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and foxface will both eat almost anything you offer . But the odd sheet of seaweed can be offered .

the thing to consider is nutrition . If tangs don’t get what they need they will start showing signs ( @vetteguy53081 )

my tangs , foxface , and even trigger get seaweed , pellets , frozen mysis , romaine lettuce , broccoli florets ,

keep in mind some tangs will not eat different offered foods such as seaweed or veggies

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am planning to pick up a magnificent Foxface and a white tail bristletooth in the fairly near future and I am trying to research how to feed herbivores. I am likely over complicating this, so I would appreciate any insights here.

Based on my readings it appears on average people are feeding dried seaweed about every 1-2 days (I would love any clarification on this, especially quantity). I’m curious what are some food dried foods that I can add into the mix? (When you get herbivores do you do more heavy on herbivore or carnivore foods?)

I currently feed a mix of: tdo pellets, live spectrum pellets, LRS reef frenzy, and calanus. While not a dried food, I’m considering getting the LRS herbivore— would that be worth getting and if so, would it be advisable to start feeding this over the reef frenzy?

other tank mates are/will be: 2x Dispar anthias, clownfish, yellow coris wrasse, sunburst Anthias, Royal gramma, pink streak wrasse, and court jester goby
Easy process but these fish require fats, omegas and aminos, Feed foods such as :

LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs and foxface will both eat almost anything you offer . But the odd sheet of seaweed can be offered .

the thing to consider is nutrition . If tangs don’t get what they need they will start showing signs ( @vetteguy53081 )

my tangs , foxface , and even trigger get seaweed , pellets , frozen mysis , romaine lettuce , broccoli florets ,

keep in mind some tangs will not eat different offered foods such as seaweed or veggies
Mine eat 37 different items and having 21large ones, I have to give them wide variety. While yours will eat that- it is not a complete diet. I know tang nutrition as ive had tangs since early 90's. Youre offering foods but they need fats and aminos for sure and seaweed and lettuce will be insufficient.
This is SOME of what I offer. . . . .

food1.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine eat 37 different items and having 21large ones, I have to give them wide variety. While yours will eat that- it is not a complete diet. I know tang nutrition as ive had tangs since early 90's. Youre offering foods but they need fats and aminos for sure and seaweed and lettuce will be insufficient.

food1.jpg
Wow that is a lot of foods! Based on what you are saying I may not be on the right track— any advice or help coming up with a plan?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow that is a lot of foods! Based on what you are saying I may not be on the right track— any advice or help coming up with a plan?
These are not fed at once but I feed seaweed 2-3 days a week. They get 4 feedings from my Neptune AFS and two frozen feedings with example tonight:
LRS herbivore diet
Plankton
Chopped krill
Spirulina brine shrimp
Marine cuisine

Tomorrow they will get a different variety and so forth
I often get asked how they have their deep colors. Diet is a good part of it

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so I think have the fish clip from two little fishies.... BUT no matter what I do my blue tang pulls the sea wood of the clip and it floats around the tank...? SUGGESTIONS on how to get the sea weed to the fish?

I started feeding NLS algae max pellets b/c it is sooo much easier and my blue tang gobbles them up! I soak it in vitachem... is vitachem and selcom similiar?

thanks!

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

food1.jpg
Do you ever feed live sea food? from the grocery story? why/why not? I give clams, oysters, mussels and black worms when I can find them? I cut most of the food up and off the shell but I also throw some in on the shell and love to watch the fish pick at the shell for a while and then at night the inverts go after it.

Neptune??

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - so I think have the fish clip from two little fishies.... BUT no matter what I do my blue tang pulls the sea wood of the clip and it floats around the tank...? SUGGESTIONS on how to get the sea weed to the fish?

I started feeding NLS algae max pellets b/c it is sooo much easier and my blue tang gobbles them up! I soak it in vitachem... is vitachem and selcom similiar?

thanks!
I use the two little fishies magnetic clips in my tank. The trick I’ve found that works for me is to take a sheet of nori and fold it several times into itself then put it on the clip. When I put it on the clip it looks like a small compact rectangle. It makes it much harder for them to tear off a big strip! In fact it rarely ever happens in my tank now and I have several good sized tangs. I have a video I made on how I do it to show my brother in law while he house sat but can’t get it to load grrr.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back