Feeding hitchhikers

Always42Learning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Folks,

I received 10lbs of live rock from KP Aquatics today (great stuff - multiple smiley emoji's) and there's a few hitchhikers aboard. The rock is in a quarantine tank.
Should I feed the hitchhikers, and if so, what should I feed them? I've seen a couple of worms (hoping they are the friendly bristle-worm type) and a couple of teeny-tiny little starfish...and found my first (possibly gorilla) crab.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
JJ

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fantastic. I was looking at their site today. I don't think you need to feed the hitchhikers. They should be able to forage on the rock. If you want to keep the starfish, might you move them to another tank or is QT for possible ich or?

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did with my TBS rock was feed reef roids via broadcast feeding every few days and everything on the rock other than some sponges stayed alive for years. Phyto would also work well for the filter feeders. I would definitely feed a little bit of something to keep all the life on the rocks alive.

OP
OP
A

Always42Learning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kris, thank you for the response.
this is my first foray into saltwater, and from what I've read, QT may save me from thumb-eating mantis shrimp or that demon-bobbit-worm thing that would wear me like an Edgar-suit.
I was able to move two starfish to my main tank, pretty sure it was more traumatizing for me than for them.
JJ

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back