Feeding Jellies with the PJ Reefs Magnetic Feeder?

ThePhotoChemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've been considering getting a small starter tank for moon jellies for several years now. However, I've always been a little on the fence, due to some of the maintenance required with feeding. I would prefer to feed them with live brine shrimp, since it seems that method leads to overall better tank cleanliness. However, I was concerned about having to manually hatch the brine shrimp every 24-48 hours.

In my reading, I ran across the PJ Reef's Magnetic Artemia Feeder, which is used primarily for dwarf seahorses. This seems to be much more of a "set and forget" option, since the eggs are hatched in the aquarium itself. The feeder was the subject of a lively discussion 4 years ago, in which a few concerns were brought up regarding the introduction of hyroids and bacteria. In recent years though, I haven't really seen any reports of those problems manifesting.

I couldn't find any references to anyone using this feeder with jellyfish. I was wondering if anyone here may have experience with it? Are there any concerns about using this system with jellyfish specifically?

Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and #WelcometoR2R

I have never kept jellies so I cannot really speak to the nutrition and I have not use the PJ method.

I would want to check out if it would be a sufficient food source first. Also will it produce enough to support you livestock. Also check out the thread from the maker that is on here for some good info.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back