Feeding my Copperband Butterfly advice

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the fish for about a week. It doesn't seem to eat at feeding time, but oddly appears to be picking away at my urchin. The CBB fish is looking thin but no other signs of a problem. Without doubt he needs to eat more.

I have tisbe pods arriving later this week. From what I've read these are a good choice for fish that feed off the reef and can become a sustained food source. Sounds great, but I don't have them yet.

I bought 2 cherrystone clams at a grocery store after watching a YouTube video of a CBB annihilating one. However I'm a bit paranoid about dropping it into the tank.

Am I right to be worried about disease/hitchhikers or should I just drop it in? Or perhaps dip it in paraguard/melafix first?

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try clams on the half shell, the fish food kind, and massick
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I can order them from BRS. I'm still wondering if it could be harmful to feed a grocery store clam. As mentioned, my fish is starving and supplies are a couple days out. Any thoughts?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed grocery store clams on a regular basis - usually frozen/thawed, but on occasion I've cut or cracked one a bit before tossing it in fresh.

I usually hang the clam from an algae clip on a string - that way, I can just pull it out when the fish have obliterated (and yes, they obliterate 'em!) the clam.

~B.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My feeding trigger was LRS herbivore diet. Now this fish is an eating Machine.

OP
OP
allsite

allsite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed grocery store clams on a regular basis - usually frozen/thawed, but on occasion I've cut or cracked one a bit before tossing it in fresh.

I usually hang the clam from an algae clip on a string - that way, I can just pull it out when the fish have obliterated (and yes, they obliterate 'em!) the clam.

~B.
I cracked open a clam and rubber banded it to a small rock. My clown was guarding it, so I did a second one on the other side of the tank. CBB seems mildly interested in it but still not eating :(. Any ideas?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have to experiment with foods to start him eating. Mine didn't touch clams but went crazy for live blackworms. Ordered mine from Eastern Aquatics (a bit expensive, unless you can find them locally). You can always buy frozen blackworms to start as well, though if your fish is looking thin chances are better he'll respond to live food to start.

Other folks have had luck with Mass Stick (get the powdered version and find the right water amount so it doesn't disintegrate).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back