Feeding My Rock

Scooter.B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I lost my 125 gallon reef aquarium to a dwelling fire this past October. So I am starting from "rock bottom".
I have an aquarium being custom built, roughly 315 gallons, as well as a custom sump. Expected delivery early March.
Getting any live rock is a tough find. So I figured I'd get the "man made rock" , then seed and cure my own rock, which I have little knowledge of doing so.
I currently have roughly 75 lbs of rock in a 20 gallon white rubbermaid like tube, with a small pump to create flow, kept at room temperature, covered with a lid. I added a bottle of Brightwell's Microbacter-7 and a piece of "seasoned" live rock to start the process. It has been sitting for 2 weeks to date.
My question is, what can I do addionally to get this rock off to a good start. I was thinking maybe adding live copepods, along with a piece of shrimp. Am I headed in the right direction? Any information on this DIY Project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pices of shrimp will end up making nitrates to keep the bacteria happy, and getting pods going is a great idea. Possibly feeding the tub with phyto would keep them multiplying while also feeding tube worms, etc that will spread throughout the system.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back