Feeding Nori

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your preferred method of feeding nori? I've been using the rock and rubber band method for quite awhile but now I'm looking for other ideas. I used to have a fishing line attached to the rock so I could easily pull it out but then my copper band got its beak wrapped up in the line. I resorted to just reaching in and pulling it out but today I got tagged by a bristleworm that made a home in the rock. I never had luck with a clip before but it may be worth giving it another shot.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the clip for ease, but get frustrated when my Sailfin Tang rips the entire piece from the clips weak grip every time.

I am contemplating buying the Innovative Marine gourmet grazer

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with weak grip pressure of regular feeding clips.

they work for me. i use it to feed the one yellow tang. no problems, though once in while he tears a large piece and just nibbles on it as it floats all over. a few times the seaweed got caught in the overflow.

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our lfs told us that there is a new clip that has a magnet so you don’t have to stick your hand in the tank, you just pull it up the side like your cleaning pad thingys.
We have the suction clips, the fish don’t rip the nori out, just rip it off at the tip so there is still a thin sliver stuck in the clip and the rest floating around the tank for the wave maker to blend up. Either that or the lawnmower Blenny pulls the whole clip off the wall and hides the whole thing in his cave

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering how much you feed your tangs. I’ve got two tangs and their bellies are prolly dong but they still act like starving begging. I feed 1”x1” 3 sheets clipped together... my clowns line up next to them to get scraps

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-7-16_16-15-21.png

Two pieces of pvc pipe on fishing line.
Attach several pieces of nori, soak in water for 15 minutes before placing in aquarium.
Pieces break apart easily so one fish doesn't get the lot.

Mako61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our lfs told us that there is a new clip that has a magnet so you don’t have to stick your hand in the tank, you just pull it up the side like your cleaning pad thingys.
We have the suction clips, the fish don’t rip the nori out, just rip it off at the tip so there is still a thin sliver stuck in the clip and the rest floating around the tank for the wave maker to blend up. Either that or the lawnmower Blenny pulls the whole clip off the wall and hides the whole thing in his cave
The clip I linked uses a magnet no getting hands wet. When you pull the outside magnet off a little, you can guide the inside one around. The outside magnet has gel on it to keep from sliding, so you have to get good at holding it just off the glass.
I havent had any trouble with my foxface popping off the magnet or getting the seaweed out of clip. He does tear off bits that float away. I found that folding to around 1x2 inch helps that. I use a half sheet.

Jerett83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Innovative Marine gourmet grazer. Id recommend it. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that I like to feed a half sheet a day and there is some waste that I rinse out from behind the cover. If I leave it for 2 or 3 days my snails clean it all out but changing it once a day they dont have the opportunity.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clip with a suction cup, might have to get one with a magnet, I hate putting my hand in the water daily..

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clip I linked uses a magnet no getting hands wet. When you pull the outside magnet off a little, you can guide the inside one around. The outside magnet has gel on it to keep from sliding, so you have to get good at holding it just off the glass.
I havent had any trouble with my foxface popping off the magnet or getting the seaweed out of clip. He does tear off bits that float away. I found that folding to around 1x2 inch helps that. I use a half sheet.

The only reason I haven't tried that one is the reports of the magnets rusting out.

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Little Fishies veggie clip. I have two of them, one on each side of the tank. I take a sheet of Nori, rip it in half, then roll each one up into a tight tube then fold it in half. The fold is thick enough to have an iron-grip in the clip. I do this every morning so the fish can snack throughout the day.

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t post a picture because I’m at the cottage but I glued 2 pieces of gutter guard onto a magnet, with three sides glued together and one left open. I put one sheet of nori into two of these each day, ripped into small pieces. The fish love it, I think it replicates their natural grazing behaviour. Occasionally they will pull a piece out but mostly it stays put for all of my 8 tangs to enjoy. I’ve tried many different things over the years and his has worked best for me, in terms of effectiveness and also ease.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Andrew D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, same idea as what I do but because my glass is 3/4 inches thick I needed to make something using stronger magnets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back