Feeding time for Bruce!

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just uploaded a new video of Bruce my Peacock Mantis showing his normal feeding regime. I got some lovely closeups of him eating this time if I do say so myself. Let me know what you think and of course like, comment and subscribe ;)

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a really well shot video! Also Bruce is so cute!! Are you soaking the food in anything like Selcon? Or just going for it?
No I don't do any food enrichment at the moment although I may give it a go. I do try and vary his diet as much as possible though and will give him mussels, prawns and assorted cleanup crew (when I can find them cheap enough) as well as live shrimp or crabs as an occasional treat.

rannoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't do any food enrichment at the moment although I may give it a go. I do try and vary his diet as much as possible though and will give him mussels, prawns and assorted cleanup crew (when I can find them cheap enough) as well as live shrimp or crabs as an occasional treat.

Hi

Your videos are excellent. Can I ask ask where you buy the food for Bruce? I’m setting up a Mantis tank very soon.

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Your videos are excellent. Can I ask ask where you buy the food for Bruce? I’m setting up a Mantis tank very soon.
Thanks for the interest most of it I get from my lfs (cockles, mussels etc). I will occasionally head to the coast to catch him some crabs. There's nothing to stop you visiting your local fishmongers however and freezing a load.

What kind of Mantis are you planning to get?

rannoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the interest most of it I get from my lfs (cockles, mussels etc). I will occasionally head to the coast to catch him some crabs. There's nothing to stop you visiting your local fishmongers however and freezing a load.

What kind of Mantis are you planning to get?

Hi

Peacock Mantis, there’s a male and female going and I haven’t decided on which one.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is absolutely amazing! Makes me want a peacock mantis!

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice video! I had no idea a mantis could be kept with fish.
Thanks a Lot! The phrase 'with caution' could not be better applied. Fish are not his natural prey however I try to keep to active swimming fish that can get out of his way easily. I also try and keep the price of any fish down (No Gem Tangs in here!) as you never know when Bruce may decide he's had enough of his new friends.

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME VIDEO. Well done my friend. How long have you had Bruce? And how long did it take for him to start feeding by hand? BTW, I love how you make him chase his food for a bit.

OP
OP
OneInchPunch

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME VIDEO. Well done my friend. How long have you had Bruce? And how long did it take for him to start feeding by hand? BTW, I love how you make him chase his food for a bit.
Thanks a lot! I've had Bruce for about 2.5 years. I'm not sure how long it took for him to come out and chase his food but not long, he's never been shy around me (probably because I feed him) but frequently likes to hide when I try to show him off to visitors. I try to always make him work a little for his food as I have heard they can become incredibly lazy if always handed food at the entrance of their lair, I try to make sure he is never sure where or when he will be fed to try and make sure he does some hunting.

Back