Feeding your Calc Reactor

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you guys think is the best way to feed your calc reactor. I'm looking for a 1 drop per second or 1 drop every three seconds for my drip rate, and using the needle valve is for the birds. I'm looking at the litermeter 3 right now, but are there any better methods to doing this?
Thanks,

Luke

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed my main system with a valve and reducer from my main return pump. on another system i use a maxijet to feed it. on yet another (large) system i use a litermeter 3. i would say the litermeter is an awesome piece of equipment for dialing in your system's daily needs, but is probably a bit much (and pricey) if you just need 1 drop every 1-3 seconds...

carxfeed.jpg

OP
OP
luke33

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Well my reason to want to feed my reactor differently is because the needle valve is always changing and acts finicky so i have to adjust it nearly every day, which makes it inconsistent. Is there a better needle valve out there? I just want a way to feed my tank a drop per second. There has to be a better way, but if i can do this less expensive than a litermeter 3 that would be great : )

OP
OP
luke33

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mj900 to feed my reactor right now fwiw. Everything seems to work well except the needle valve being consistent.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think you'll find a perfect needle valve. i check my drip rate at least daily and adjust as necessary...it usually slows down every 2-3 days.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MaxiJets to feed mine. You have to check them everyday. At the small drip rates that we have it doesn't take very much to stop them up.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the needle valves from USPlastics.com Very reliable and sensitive, making tiny adjustments easy. I feed my reactor with a T from my return pump. The valve is on the effluent line, so that the reactor itself is slightly pressurized. This, IME, makes very low drip and bubble rates much easier to achieve, and consistent.

hth

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine off of a manifold. I have a QO in sump that feeds my Ca reactor and (2) reactors for GFO and carbon although GFO is not in use. I have a needle valve on the end of my effluent line of my reactor and it remains pretty consistent.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told from a local to put the valve on the INCOMING water, but have later learned why not to do that.

the goods...your drip rate only changes like once a month!!!

the bads...the co2 doesn't mix inside the chamber correctly since the pressure is now only in the water line and not in the reactor.

I WOULD NOT do this!!! I'm picking up a 1/4" gate valve from him tonight in order to switch it back!

Hopefully a gatevalve won't clog as much, or be easy enough to fine tune every day! I hated my little pinch valve before...soooooo annoying!

OP
OP
luke33

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told from a local to put the valve on the INCOMING water, but have later learned why not to do that.

the goods...your drip rate only changes like once a month!!!

the bads...the co2 doesn't mix inside the chamber correctly since the pressure is now only in the water line and not in the reactor.

I WOULD NOT do this!!! I'm picking up a 1/4" gate valve from him tonight in order to switch it back!

Hopefully a gatevalve won't clog as much, or be easy enough to fine tune every day! I hated my little pinch valve before...soooooo annoying!

This sounds like a doable idea, my only worry is it wouldn't allow my mj enough pressure to feed the reactor. I tried a very small pump and thats what happened when i used it. But it could work. This would pry eliminate the use of a needle valve as well.

purplereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to solve this very problem for about 3 years now. I have that same needle valve from US plastics and it will not maintain that slow of a drip rate. If you get something figured out please let us know. I have to adjust my drip rate every day as well.

OP
OP
luke33

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on trying something tonight and will try that valve when it comes in, hopefully friday. I'll get it figured out one way or another as i don't have time to mess with the reactor every day. Worst case is i have to buy the litermeter 3 or something similar.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to solve this very problem for about 3 years now. I have that same needle valve from US plastics and it will not maintain that slow of a drip rate. If you get something figured out please let us know. I have to adjust my drip rate every day as well.

IME the feed pump/method needs to be strong and consistent. This is why I use a T off my Panworld return pump.

If all else fails, simply increase the drip rate to a rate that is stable for you. By doing this, and not increasing your bubble rate, you will get approximately the same net amount of ca/alk added to the tank. It's juts not as efficient as possible for using the CO2.

OP
OP
luke33

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this thread. I have figured out the problem with my reactor, could be the same problem with yours too purplereef. When i set it up the bubble counter worked but wasn't super consistent with production as well as the drip rate. There were also quite a few co2 bubbles in the reactor at all times. And the pump was a bit noisy as it cavitated now and then. So what i did was instead of letting the water and co2 build up in the top and then have the pump pull it down i glue'd a 1" piece of acrylic over the input on top and this REALLY made the difference. So instead of bubbles, inconsistent bubble counter and inconsistent drip rate its now no bubbles, consistent bubble count and consistent drip rate. Been fine for 2 days and its super easy to dial in now. So it was really buildup of co2 causing the problem. Made the recirculating pump inconsistent which caused probs with pretty much everything. I imagine all calc reactors made like this are going to have the same problem.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back