a-eX7Gs2ur35gAeJe7bPJY-linguine-alla-pescatore-dino-640x480.JPG

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do eat that all the time. :D
This recipe with the mussels is probably better than mine because the mussels are mostly guts and clams have a much larger adductor mussel that they use to close the shell. Guts are better.
We don't have mussels in the house often
because I don't like to eat them as much as clams or oysters so I don't have them in the house too often. But I eat a lot of clams which is why I am looking more like a walrus every day. :eek:
Mussels are very small so you need a lot of them, but they are practically free so you can buy them in quantity. I can also collect them.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often in Asian Grocery stores you can find Green Mussels already frozen. They have one of the shells removed, so a simple rinse in cold water and the entire mussel slides out of the shell with no shucking necessary. They are also much bigger than the normal mussels in grocery stores.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up @ReefTeacher . I really didn't like the earlier post about Sodium Tripolyphosphate not having to be listed on seafood products.....that was news to me. The clams I purchased in the plastic cup looked too perfect....guessing something was in there keeping them looking pretty.

We have a very nice oriental market here....H-Mart....that I'll be shopping at for my next mollusk food mix I make.....buying fresh....even if I have to shuck. I will definitely be looking for these green mussels.....hoping I can identify by appearance....most is labeled in some oriental language. :cool: Again, thanks.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that if you freeze the mollusks first, they shuck a little easier, and the adductor muscles readily release from the shells. Otherwise you most likely have to carefully cut the muscle from the shell....or leave pieces still attached to the shell.

And yes, the fish go crazy for this food. :D

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20190112_224948.jpeg

PLEASE no more shucking! Honestly though, I'm glad I did this for the benefits listed in the OP. Just some tips I think would help; Rinse everything before you freeze (I was in a rush and the muscles were muddy so was annoyed to rinse while I was working). When you have everything ready to cut make sure you have a good sharp knife because everything will defrost fast (I froze everything for appx 12hrs). As stated it is much easier to cut everything while it's still frozen, or at least slightly frozen. I mixed up the sizes I chopped everything to accommodate for my different sized fish.

The final product pretty much thawed out on me so maybe and the best way I can describe it is a chunky version of oyster feast. I cant wait to break a piece off and feed the fish tomorrow.

I ended up spending $18 at my local Asian market and it fills up a gallon ziplock bag when laying flat and is about 1/4" thick or slightly under that. Tomorrow I will also attempt to cut into cubes to make feeding easier, if not I'll just stick with breaking off piece by piece.

Thank you for sharing this recipe!!!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up.

Just wondering if freezing eliminates all possibilities of disease?

The mollusks I purchased are for human consumption....I never gave it an iota of thought.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you are missing the most important aspect of this. :p

Paul, if for some reason I ever get that inclination to eat any mollusk, and I don't feel like shucking, I could always soak a rubberband in fish water.....and chew, and chew, and chew, and chew some more....and still swallow it whole! :eek::eek:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back