Feeding Zoas - what's best?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

A couple months back I purchased 4 colonies of zoas with about 10-20 heads each, but I am not seeing any growth and some heads are closed.

zoas 2.jpg
zoas 1.jpg

I am going to get some iodine supplement for the tank as I have heard that this boosts growth and colour.

But when it comes to feeding, I had (wrongly) assumed that with the regular feeding of flakes, pellets & liquid Artemia into the tank for the fish and inverts (live copeopods too on occasion), that would be enough for the Zoas to feed on left over particulates. But I think I need to start feeding the corals specifically.

I want to get a coral food that will feed my other corals too: - Xenias, Duncans and a Seafan.

Is there much difference between reef roids and marine snow? Which would you advise?

Scott

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried cutting down the pumps after circulating the food? Letting the water sit after mixing the food helps the corals feed.

BeardedMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding Reef Roids for the past year. I've tried spot feeding 3x weekly for 3 months. Then broadcast feeding with just internal pumps running. No real difference. My zoas exploded in growth though when I raised my nutrient level with nitrates between 10 and 25ppm (previously around 5ppm) . I kept phosphate about the same around 0.05 ppm. These levels were higher than I wanted and I've since brought them back down but growth was something I noted during that time.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be clear it is not necessary to feed your corals, however feeding does induce better growth and coloration in many cases ! I feed a variety of things to my zoanthids I use, reef roids, reef chili, spirulina powder, copepod powder, parracocous powder, now most of this stuff is already found in reef roids and reef chili so probably get one of those... I used marine snow and it was fine but with the powders I was able to mix to a viscosity that was easy to feed... when you mix the power you want it to be think and sludgy so it sinks and lands on the coral polyp so turn your pumps off and feed them give them a big to close up and swallow the food... you can also broadcast feed if you want but I like to target feed to make sure they get some food, I also add amino acids to the food blend and they love it ! Hope it helps, of course you don’t need to do everything I do just make it something that is easy for you and not too troublesome

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I understand its not necessary to feed corals in most cases, but I want my Zoas in particular to grow and spread faster with greater colour, so feeding is something I want to try. I will try reef roids as you suggest along with the iodine supplement.

By 'broadcast feeding' do you mean allowing the outlets to spread the feed out into the entire tank?

I try and keep my nitrates between 10-20 so there are enough nutrients in the tank. However, as I am trying to get rid of diatoms I am keeping the tank lighting low for a few weeks (as well as silicate remover pouches), will that have any impact on Zoas?

Thanks

Scott

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I understand its not necessary to feed corals in most cases, but I want my Zoas in particular to grow and spread faster with greater colour, so feeding is something I want to try. I will try reef roids as you suggest along with the iodine supplement.

By 'broadcast feeding' do you mean allowing the outlets to spread the feed out into the entire tank?

I try and keep my nitrates between 10-20 so there are enough nutrients in the tank. However, as I am trying to get rid of diatoms I am keeping the tank lighting low for a few weeks (as well as silicate remover pouches), will that have any impact on Zoas?

Thanks

Scott
Yes broadcast feeding the way I do it is I turn of the return pump and add some reef roids premixed in tank water to the system and let the power heads blow it around, i don’t usually ever do this but if I do it’s right before a water change so I can suck out the uneaten food... I personally have no experience with silica removers, I use a very high quality salt and 0tds water so silicates are minimal if any and My colonies are doing great ! Just remember to take things slow and you will do great!

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feeback and tips :)

I wasn't referring to the anti-silicate pouches, I was wondering if the lower lighting levels will have much of an adverse on my Zoas?

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my zoas they grew slow as well. I fed them reedroids and broadcast at night. A few things that seemed to help for me was getting better T5 bulbs then what I had and just giving the zoas time to acclimate.

Another thing that helps is trying not to look for growth in on a daily basis because you won't notice it. Take a picture and then a week or two later take another one and compare them. That will help you see the growth.

Dsanchez1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the others are giving you good advice but I'll chime in with what works for me.

Out of curiosity, did you use any coral dip with the Zoas before introducing them in the tank? I ask because I had a similar issue with my new zoa colonies not really growing like I expected and a lot of the polyps would stay closed. Even though I was feeding them. I got a bottle of CoralRX and dipped them, and I was shocked to see several Nudibranchs fall off of each one. After that, they began to grow like crazy and stay open and bright most of the time. Dipping them is easy and safe to do so I always dip my corals now after that experience.

As for feeding, i typically use "Reef Chilli" from Bulk Reef Supply. It has a great mix of food small enough for the Zoe's to eat. I turn off the pumps and use a little syringe to direct feed them a little and then broadcast feed the rest. There is a lot of debate on if Zoe's actually benefit from direct feeding since they don't really respond like other corals do. I just do it anyways because I don't see the harm in it. I feed them once or twice a week usually.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the others are giving you good advice but I'll chime in with what works for me.

Out of curiosity, did you use any coral dip with the Zoas before introducing them in the tank? I ask because I had a similar issue with my new zoa colonies not really growing like I expected and a lot of the polyps would stay closed. Even though I was feeding them. I got a bottle of CoralRX and dipped them, and I was shocked to see several Nudibranchs fall off of each one. After that, they began to grow like crazy and stay open and bright most of the time. Dipping them is easy and safe to do so I always dip my corals now after that experience.
Oops! no I didn't. Rookie error, I will get some dip!

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed reef roids (target) once a week. But I have algae issues and that wasn't helping (and my zoas didn't react to it - just my trachy and trumpet seemed to like it). I didn't notice rapid growth but had very slow growth.

I switched to broadcast feeding Brightwell Coralaminos and everything in my tank is growing much faster, including my zoas. So I'm a fan of it. And no added phosphates. I haven't noticed an increase in nitrates either.

Dsanchez1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops! no I didn't. Rookie error, I will get some dip!
yea, I would try that just to be safe. There are a lot of ready to use dips on the market (I use CoralRX). I honestly didn't dip my corals for the first couple years in the hobby but that experience with the Zoas taught me.

Also, PLEASE use gloves and eye protection just to be safe against the Palytoxin in the Zoa's. If no gloves then remember to wash your hands really well right after handling them. I have personally never had an experience with the toxin nor have I known anyone who has, but it is a risk no matter how minimal.

Let us know how everything turns out after following the advice from everyone in this thread. Seems like some solid tips here!

Happy reefing and enjoy your Zoa's! They are personally one of my favorites!!

Dsanchez1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed reef roids (target) once a week. But I have algae issues and that wasn't helping (and my zoas didn't react to it - just my trachy and trumpet seemed to like it). I didn't notice rapid growth but had very slow growth.

I switched to broadcast feeding Brightwell Coralaminos and everything in my tank is growing much faster, including my zoas. So I'm a fan of it. And no added phosphates. I haven't noticed an increase in nitrates either.
I've heard several people really like the Brightwell Coral aminos. I will have to try it out!

Seems everyone has a different opinion on feeding Zoa's since target feeding doesn't illicit a response from them like other corals do. I still do it occasionally just because I don't see any harm in it. I personally see some impressive growth with my Zoa's using the BRS Reef Chilli but who is to say I wouldn't see the same results with no feeding.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 6 headed frag last week from a great local reefer, read alittle about them, if flat enough light ok if stretched, more light, left mid-tank and I think they’ve grown, plus lifting off frag. Don’t want to screw up glue so I chiseled out 5” piece of rock, going

to loosely cover with onion bag net and see what happens, is this new growth?

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast Brightwell Microvore twice a week. Target feed mix of reef roofs and powder from my dried plankton once a week. Duncans, trumpets, Acans and zoas love the stuff.

Mickeyt1reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding Reef Roids for the past year. I've tried spot feeding 3x weekly for 3 months. Then broadcast feeding with just internal pumps running. No real difference. My zoas exploded in growth though when I raised my nutrient level with nitrates between 10 and 25ppm (previously around 5ppm) . I kept phosphate about the same around 0.05 ppm. These levels were higher than I wanted and I've since brought them back down but growth was something I noted during that time.
Just moved to a larger tank. Trying to get my nitrates back to 10/20 range.

EB4AEA63-A777-4B6E-829F-C58B6F65CDA3.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back