Feel like quitting 2 years almost no growth please help sps dominate

RazorRamon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month I’ve seen sooner like 2-3 weeks , with no issues why do you ask ?
For whatever reason beyond anything I can explain my best guess is it might be a lack of beneficial bacteria issue. SPS hate new tanks. I think your tank is now just hitting it off and you should give it more time. If in the next 3 months you see no growth then look into other things. My sps tank didn't take off for almost 8 months and even then growth was slow.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason beyond anything I can explain my best guess is it might be a lack of beneficial bacteria issue. SPS hate new tanks. I think your tank is now just hitting it off and you should give it more time. If in the next 3 months you see no growth then look into other things. My sps tank didn't take off for almost 8 months and even then growth was slow.
I’ve heard of this circling the hobby lately , I’m kinda upset about it to be honest and I feel like when people look for help who set tanks up on Marco rock and start asking “experts” they bail out on that immediately and say “oh well you set it up on Marco see you in 4 years “ maybe they are right maybe they are wrong , you couldn’t tell I used Marco at this point it’s loaded in pods and feather dusters and all kinds of crazy critters on it and sponges etc etc , it seems way beyond mature but I’m certainly no biologist and maybe it’s missing something deep inside bacterial wise

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another something I forgot to mention.
I tested strontium with salifert and got 0.
I was dosing and did not test for around 3 months. I was 4 last test.
I just started dosing to bring it back.
Some say it does nothing as their is no scientific studys that confirms it.
Many threads I have read say it has increased growth at around 10-15 mg/l. Ocean is 8.
I have not changed anything and I am dosing esv- strontium at 5ml a day for a week and just to 3 ish.
From a few thread I read they dosed for 2 weeks to get it to 10 as it takes time to buffer/ buildup in your system.
Any way I see new growth everywhere and im not to 10 yet.
May be worth getting a salifert test and see where your at.
The threads are here on r2r.
Just another thing to research and put into your ever expanding growth chest lol.
New growth on stag and pink floyd thats done nothing in the back under the branch.
Funny the stag grew straight up with little basing.
20200528_193354.jpg

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many threads I have read say it has increased growth at around 10-15 mg/l. Ocean is 8.
I have not changed anything and I am dosing esv- strontium at 5ml a day for a week and just to 3 ish.
From a few thread I read they dosed for 2 weeks to get it to 10 as it takes time to buffer/ buildup in your system.
Just another thing to research and put into your ever expanding growth chest lol.
New growth on stag and pink floyd thats done nothing in the back under the branch.
20200528_193354.jpg
What test kit did you buy I just read the reviews on BRS and the reviews are scary bad for salifert which is upsetting I use most of there stuff I’ll have to check my ICP test results tomorrow see what I got on it

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200528_193354.jpg
My ICP test for strontium came back 10.46

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP test for strontium came back 10.46
That looks good. I use salifert. Works for me but its not a simple test.
My level went down I think when I stopped dosing esv 2 part and setup my carx.
Going to send out my first icp test at 1 year which is in one month.
Results will be interesting as I run a no water change system.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good. I use salifert. Works for me but its not a simple test.
My level went down I think when I stopped dosing esv 2 part and setup my carx.
Going to send out my first icp test at 1 year which is in one month.
Results will be interesting as I run a no water change system.
Wow post in here results that’s cool with me !

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my first post on here , I’ve been in this hobby a decent ammount and I’ve tried sps dominate for the first time , I’m about to give up everyone always comments “wow those are glowing sticks !!!” Okay so what they are 1 inch tall , I must have 40 acros maybe more , and only 3-5 of them have actually grown into a 4-5 inch piece or more , im stumped can anyone see if I’m missing anything ?
Red Sea reefer 250
2 mp10s at 100 percent short pulse back wall
2 gyres at 100 percent alternating
A skimmer rated for 150 gallons ,
T5 radion hybrid 3 xr15pros with all blue plus and 2 reef brite style bars
T5s on 9 hours
Radions on ab+ for 12 hours with 1 hour all blue in am and 2 hours all blue pm 9 hours of core spectrum and they are at 100 percent intensity
I dose acropower and b ionic and Red Sea color program
I have 13 fish
I do water changes and log Prams religiously on clanader
I check po4 and alk every morning
Po4 0.05-.11
Alk 8.5-8.8
No3 15-20
Mag 1400
Cal 450
I take care of this tank like I would a kid I’m getting ****** off at this point I see people with similar setups get wall to wall sps in 1 year , I’m at almost two years and still looking at nubs any ideas !?!? Thanks ryan !!!

BD303064-83B7-4346-9612-7FF3D137B44F.jpeg 01026158-9483-436D-954B-748F49986EEC.jpeg BB5ACEF9-1165-4ABF-8398-D2222CA03C6D.jpeg A3B44C0F-A81D-492F-A7F1-0A502DA8D8FE.jpeg
Too much flow, I have a couple of SPS in really high flow and they just base out

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryan Mansa are you a vampire? When do you sleep?
Well haha I do but yesterday was a odd afternoon I got home at 5:30 from work super tired for some reason (wasn’t a crazy day ) but I knew nascar was on last night so I wanted to watch it ( I’m a avid motor sports fan F1 , NASCAR , WEC etc etc ) and it turned into a rain delay I dozed off around 6:30 pm here ( glommy crappy day here in CT ) woke up around 7:30 pm so that tiny little nap messed up my whole sleep schedule last night haha , got to bed around 12am woke up 4:30 am for some odd reason , hoping I can reset it tonight haha but yes long story short I try to get the 8 hours in nightly lol

Dan Ponchak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an absolutely beautiful tank. I go crazy when I compare mine to others. Just sounds like a little bit of pen.., oops, coral envy. LOL. Keep up the good work. You’ll have to start trimming soon.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an absolutely beautiful tank. I go crazy when I compare mine to others. Just sounds like a little bit of pen.., oops, coral envy. LOL. Keep up the good work. You’ll have to start trimming soon.
Haha thank you thank you well I hope I can give free frags to everyone that contributed to this you guys all deserve it this help is just unreal guys having a “bro moment “ with y’all haha let’s get these puppies growing !

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thank you thank you well I hope I can give free frags to everyone that contributed to this you guys all deserve it this help is just unreal guys having a “bro moment “ with y’all haha let’s get these puppies growing !
Careful
We’ll remember you said that

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful
We’ll remember you said that
Haha “nervously goes back and looks to see how many people he owes them too “ LOL, you guys are great this has been fun and it has certainly lifted my spirits , I felt like tearing the tank down , I was down in the dumps this place has brought the fire back what a great group honestly

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just joined this thread we got any growth yet? Could definitely use some tricks to get my acros to grow faster

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just joined this thread we got any growth yet? Could definitely use some tricks to get my acros to grow faster
Haha no sir it’s only been a few days it would be quite amazing if it was that easy .. it’s probably going to take a bit keep checking back and good luck

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back