Feel like quitting 2 years almost no growth please help sps dominate

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you have some room try spacing out a little,agree want stable base before branching ,natural reaction,puttin energy into base ,thick monti"s ,indicating heavy flow??

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryan Mansa, Have you seen Dana's presentation on growth?

I'd say your corals are in photoinhibition for too long. Too much par for too long. 200-250 par is more than enough. 8 hours total blues, 5-6 hours whites.

I forgot about that. Yes I only run my T5's for 9 hours. All on all off.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What and how are you dosing?
My tank did well for 6 months dosing 2 part and trace elements by hand. At 6 months I setup my carx and everthing went into overdrive. Still have some wild nubs that are starting to grow now but still very slow.
Bionic and acro power on doser 4 head spaced out , params are rock solid my alk changes .1 to .2 daily , po4 .05 to .10 I can go back and check my logs but it’s dialed in I check alk and po4 every single morning for 2 years

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about that. Yes I only run my T5's for 9 hours. All on all off.
Maybe my lights are on too long ? The whites and reds and greens are on the radions for 9 hours at only 24 percent , t5s are blue plus , the tank in person is heavy blue look , nice little white hint if that

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have some room try spacing out a little,agree want stable base before branching ,natural reaction,puttin energy into base ,thick monti"s ,indicating heavy flow??
I was wondering about the flow , most montis look like potato chips they are so thin, mine so thick like half a iPhone haha

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tri color went from this to current in 6 months with only 9hrs of light.
My montis are thick also as I have 9000gph at any givin time in my 120.
20191109_153750.jpg
20200525_144923.jpg

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don’t be so hard on yourself man. That’s a beautiful tank that a lot of people would strive to achieve. It can be frustrating when you see others tanks with tons of growth but don’t forget to just enjoy what you have.
I agree unfortunately a personality trait of mine I’ll have to work on , every hobby I do I go in 100 percent , and if you ask anyone around me they know I treat this tank like people have babies , so just let down or maybe not now after posting here , I thank everyone for the kind words , I just thought they would have certainly gotten bigger by now , with the tech on the tank and the care I have given it certainly interested to hear what everyone has to say for sure I thought maybe I was missing something?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys really think they can sense this !?!? What about wall to wall frag tanks with 100s 1 inch apart from each other hmm interesting
Yes they are wall to wall now with mature colonies. As frags, they had some room to spread out. I am not saying this is the cause. You seem to have everything dialed in. Use the other suggestions first especially cutting the flow in half. If this isnt is than you have your answer...

A simple experiment would be to add another rock and put 1 frag on it that has been refusing to get big. If it grows than you have definitive proof that this is the case. Report back so others dont make the same mistake. With all these live sales going on, these kids are stuffing 50 frags in a 10gal nano. It would be nice to have proof one way or another that too much of a good thing is just that... too much!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tri color went from this to current in 6 months with only 9hrs of light.
My montis are thick also as I have 9000gph at any givin time in my 120.
20191109_153750.jpg
20200525_144923.jpg
Amazing I envy the growth ! , I think my turnover in tank is 180x seems a lot , but nothing is getting hammered directly i took the time to set it up as violently random flow as possible

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree unfortunately a personality trait of mine I’ll have to work on , every hobby I do I go in 100 percent , and if you ask anyone around me they know I treat this tank like people have babies , so just let down or maybe not now after posting here , I thank everyone for the kind words , I just thought they would have certainly gotten bigger by now , with the tech on the tank and the care I have given it certainly interested to hear what everyone has to say for sure I thought maybe I was missing something?
We can tell you put 100% into this. You should be very proud of yourself!

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
I think your peak lighting time is a little too long but some Tenuis grow really fast and some grow really slow. If every HW or rainbow envy grew as fast as a fox flame then they’d all be $50 by now.
Well that’s the problem , my fox flame is 1.5 inches tall 1.7 years later ......

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone commenting on my long peak time of 9 hours , would it be okay to cut 2 -3 hours off it like Tonight on the laptop , or would that kill or damage my corals ?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone commenting on my long peak time of 9 hours , would it be okay to cut 2 -3 hours off it like Tonight on the laptop , or would that kill or damage my corals ?
Like everything in life, drastic change isnt good. Cut it an hour a week.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s the problem , my fox flame is 1.5 inches tall 1.7 years later ......
Just an example. My Sunday driver and psycho grow so fast I’ve made 10x what I paid for them in sold frags. The most I’ve ever paid for a single frag is my rrc Mardi Gras, and it still hasn’t encrusted after 15 months. I will echo what others have said about reducing the par. My fastest growers are in 250-400 range for 7 hours of peak with the cloud coverage feature on

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No harm if you do this. That and reducing light intensity will help immensely.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
best wishes,start a build thread for your records,and any future help,get a cool badge ,we can follow ;)

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an example. My Sunday driver and psycho grow so fast I’ve made 10x what I paid for them in sold frags. The most I’ve ever paid for a single frag is my rrc Mardi Gras, and it still hasn’t encrusted after 15 months. I will echo what others have said about reducing the par. My fastest growers are in 250-400 range for 7 hours of peak with the cloud coverage feature on
I could try the cloud cover feature on the radions and knock 2 hours off it

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back