OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an example. My Sunday driver and psycho grow so fast I’ve made 10x what I paid for them in sold frags. The most I’ve ever paid for a single frag is my rrc Mardi Gras, and it still hasn’t encrusted after 15 months. I will echo what others have said about reducing the par. My fastest growers are in 250-400 range for 7 hours of peak with the cloud coverage feature on
Interesting for sure , I just thought torts and stags would be really big by now , I know my 2 and 3 color tenuis could take time , my Disney just encrusted 1 year later maybe I’m too hard on my self or thought different results

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
best wishes,start a build thread for your records,and any future help,get a cool badge ,we can follow ;)

Do this please. The community needs to see what perfection looks like when you put the time and energy into this hobby. We could learn a lot from you.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an example. My Sunday driver and psycho grow so fast I’ve made 10x what I paid for them in sold frags. The most I’ve ever paid for a single frag is my rrc Mardi Gras, and it still hasn’t encrusted after 15 months. I will echo what others have said about reducing the par. My fastest growers are in 250-400 range for 7 hours of peak with the cloud coverage feature on
D012215F-DDF9-4722-9234-484E9695D8B1.jpeg

Mardi Gras in center was purchased in March 2019
Src bloody on the left has done nothing since I acquired it in July 2019
Cc pink highlighter on the right was smaller than the other two when I received it in August 2019. All similar par and flow within 6 inches of each other and 3 completely different results. I hate this saying, but “it is what it is”

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my first post on here , I’ve been in this hobby a decent ammount and I’ve tried sps dominate for the first time , I’m about to give up everyone always comments “wow those are glowing sticks !!!” Okay so what they are 1 inch tall , I must have 40 acros maybe more , and only 3-5 of them have actually grown into a 4-5 inch piece or more , im stumped can anyone see if I’m missing anything ?
Red Sea reefer 250
2 mp10s at 100 percent short pulse back wall
2 gyres at 100 percent alternating
A skimmer rated for 150 gallons ,
T5 radion hybrid 3 xr15pros with all blue plus and 2 reef brite style bars
T5s on 9 hours
Radions on ab+ for 12 hours with 1 hour all blue in am and 2 hours all blue pm 9 hours of core spectrum and they are at 100 percent intensity
I dose acropower and b ionic and Red Sea color program
I have 13 fish
I do water changes and log Prams religiously on clanader
I check po4 and alk every morning
Po4 0.05-.11
Alk 8.5-8.8
No3 15-20
Mag 1400
Cal 450
I take care of this tank like I would a kid I’m getting ****** off at this point I see people with similar setups get wall to wall sps in 1 year , I’m at almost two years and still looking at nubs any ideas !?!? Thanks ryan !!!

BD303064-83B7-4346-9612-7FF3D137B44F.jpeg 01026158-9483-436D-954B-748F49986EEC.jpeg BB5ACEF9-1165-4ABF-8398-D2222CA03C6D.jpeg A3B44C0F-A81D-492F-A7F1-0A502DA8D8FE.jpeg

I’d say don’t change anything, do not second guess yourself, and allow a little time. You can also induce growth by cutting the SPS.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D012215F-DDF9-4722-9234-484E9695D8B1.jpeg

Mardi Gras in center was purchased in March 2019
Src bloody on the left has done nothing since I acquired it in July 2019
Cc pink highlighter on the right was smaller than the other two when I received it in August 2019. All similar par and flow within 6 inches of each other and 3 completely different results. I hate this saying, but “it is what it is”
Well this seems to sum up a lot , I have no words on this one , those are baller pieces but a acro none the less , maybe let’s just see if the grass grows then ?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting for sure , I just thought torts and stags would be really big by now , I know my 2 and 3 color tenuis could take time , my Disney just encrusted 1 year later maybe I’m too hard on my self or thought different results
I think you are being too hard on yourself as well. You have a beautiful system, and the best part is they are all still alive with insane colors. Chasing some vague number could ruin everything you’ve accomplished so far. I myself feel growth is very overrated for my smaller system. It would be a nice bonus but I’m not willing to risk everything to go from the speed of grass growing to paint drying.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I intend to stay with LPS and soft corals. It should be enjoyable and stress free. That’s just me. Maybe I try one or two.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been taking comparison photos of when your first got your frags? I don't know if this phenomena has a term but sometimes if your to close to something and seeing it everyday you can become kind of numb to the changes.

For instance when your friend gets a puppy- They see that dog everyday and they will notice its getting a little bigger over time but because they see it everyday its not a drastic change. If you saw the puppy when they first got it and then went back to their place a few months later and saw it again it would probably be triple the size and the owners wouldn't see such a massive change.

I notice this with my corals when I get back from vacation, because I'm not staring at them everyday the amount of growth is much more noticeable even though I'm fairly certain the growth rate remains the same. It's just easier to notice the big jumps instead of the daily 1/10 of a millimetre. A watched pot never boils so they say.

Also for the record I think your tank looks phenomenal, your enthusiasm and determination certainly shows!

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting topic. If it’s truly been around 2 years since you started with roughly those sized frags, then you’re right - the growth is not where it should be. Yeah, each coral is different and we don’t have a list of all your frags but just looking at the pics... I think anyone can say there should have been more overall in 2 years time.

I can see why some people would recommend stay the course since they see all the colors and the sheer amount of frags makes the tank look more “full” but... I agree with you, the growth is not anywhere it should be for such a well maintained system and I think it’s time to explore some changes....

Obviously, colors look good and parameters in check, ICP test good. Interesting since they don’t seem to show signs of too much light or flow, but as many already stated, seems like top culprits since they are both on the high end and nothing else really stands out lol. Hopefully, someone with actual similar experience in this kind of scenario will stumble in.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been taking comparison photos of when your first got your frags? I don't know if this phenomena has a term but sometimes if your to close to something and seeing it everyday you can become kind of numb to the changes.

For instance when your friend gets a puppy- They see that dog everyday and they will notice its getting a little bigger over time but because they see it everyday its not a drastic change. If you saw the puppy when they first got it and then went back to their place a few months later and saw it again it would probably be triple the size and the owners wouldn't see such a massive change.

I notice this with my corals when I get back from vacation, because I'm not staring at them everyday the amount of growth is much more noticeable even though I'm fairly certain the growth rate remains the same. It's just easier to notice the big jumps instead of the daily 1/10 of a millimetre. A watched pot never boils so they say.

Also for the record I think your tank looks phenomenal, your enthusiasm and determination certainly shows!
My girlfriend tells me this all the time she tells me your beyond crazy that one has tripled in size , first thought she was making me feel better , now I’m like maybe she isn’t lying ....

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting topic. If it’s truly been around 2 years since you started with roughly those sized frags, then you’re right - the growth is not where it should be. Yeah, each coral is different and we don’t have a list of all your frags but just looking at the pics... I think anyone can say there should have been more overall in 2 years time.

I can see why some people would recommend stay the course since they see all the colors and the sheer amount of frags makes the tank look more “full” but... I agree with you, the growth is not anywhere it should be for such a well maintained system and I think it’s time to explore some changes....

Obviously, colors look good and parameters in check, ICP test good. Interesting since they don’t seem to show signs of too much light or flow, but as many already stated, seems like top culprits since they are both on the high end and nothing else really stands out lol. Hopefully, someone with actual similar experience in this kind of scenario will stumble in.
I’m with on this , personally I feel like they should be bigger I’m not talking broccoli sized but I mean shouldn’t they be bigger , I’m talking about stag horns and torts , yes I do have baller 3 color tenuis but let’s look at the obvious ones , my pink lemonade is tiny , shouldn’t that be big in 2 years ?

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you tried dosing seachem fuel or Red Sea coral nutrition? I’ve had some pieces do nothing until I started dosing either of the two. Just dose enough until you see results.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also - the 3-4 you mentioned that have actually grown. What are they, what par are they under? Maybe let’s start with the ones that seem to be actually growing
Birdsnest 1 inch frag to size of a mango in 8 months par is 400 , flow is where the the gyres intersect so that’s full flow

WWC yellow tip , 1 inch frag to the colony you see on the right side par 400 flow full , slimer 1 inch frag to what you see on the left , flow indirect par 290-300
Other types of birdsnest , par 300 flow indirect , a tort on back side of scape basically in the dark is a monster back there no flow or light at all that’s what’s worrying me , the color is huge and it’s hidden , but it’s a “tort”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back