Feel like quitting 2 years almost no growth please help sps dominate

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 2 green slimers added to my 120 at 6 weeks in.
Here they are today.
They grow super fast just not in my tank lol.
Here is a purple stag and 7 months growth.
Same tank same parameters same level in tank as green slimer.
20200525_155326.jpg
20200525_155348.jpg
20200403_202634.jpg
20200525_155354.jpg

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 2 green slimers added to my 120 at 6 weeks in.
Here they are today.
They grow super fast just not in my tank lol.
Here is a purple stag and 7 months growth.
Same tank same parameters same level in tank as green slimer.
20200525_155326.jpg
20200525_155348.jpg
20200403_202634.jpg
20200525_155354.jpg
okay so it seems more people have similar stories of some doing better then others

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Acropower didn’t do anything for me and I’ve tried a LOT of products. I’d highly suggest trying red seas new AB+ and put it on a doser if you can find any in stock. There’s something about the yellow magic in both products that works.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acropower didn’t do anything for me and I’ve tried a LOT of products. I’d highly suggest trying red seas new AB+ and put it on a doser if you can find any in stock. There’s something about the yellow magic in both products that works.
i have two bottles , i tired it for a week it shot my po4 through roof 5 days in a row i bailed out on it , was going to try fuel if i can ever find it

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dosing seachem fuel or Red Sea coral nutrition? I’ve had some pieces do nothing until I started dosing either of the two. Just dose enough until you see results.
i tired the 10ml total for my system it said " sps dominate" on the side , i also noticed when i poured in the AB+ all my corals seemed to react super negative and everything retracted it made me very nervous from sps to lps to zoas

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest 1 inch frag to size of a mango in 8 months par is 400 , flow is where the the gyres intersect so that’s full flow

WWC yellow tip , 1 inch frag to the colony you see on the right side par 400 flow full , slimer 1 inch frag to what you see on the left , flow indirect par 290-300
Other types of birdsnest , par 300 flow indirect , a tort on back side of scape basically in the dark is a monster back there no flow or light at all that’s what’s worrying me , the color is huge and it’s hidden , but it’s a “tort”

So yeah... by the numbers and by placement, the ones that have been growing “expectedly” are 300ish, yellow tips 400. All off to the side or even with the yellow tips, visually lower and somewhat shaded?

You said your mid is 500 par, the top-most rock work probably a bit more? Either way - all filled with frags that haven’t grown much.

Flow seems consistent with both growing and non-growing acros. Obviously water parameters great for growth and color since some things are growing so I am not sure you need to change/add any dosing.

So I’m thinking logically... lighting seems to be main difference and first step to try is dial back par (intensity easier to reduce than messing with peak schedules imo) and see how it affects the stunted frags.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through this... even dudes who have been at this for decades need to wait a few years for tanks to mature when started with dry/dead rock or have a pretty sterile landscape.

MoreReefPlease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, mine don’t grow that fast either lol.
The only thing that stands out to me is the 9 hour peak, that’s fairly long.

I believe this is what BRS has recommended in their latest BRS Investigates video comparing new Hydra 32's and 64's. They say they recommend a 9 hour peak time if I remember correctly for the best growth rate.

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got me thinking that maybe while those high par numbers might be great once a frag transitions into mini-colony/colony size, as frags maybe it does more harm than good?

Again - very interesting topic and glad you posted this! Definitely one that needs to be kept updated bc it doesnt seem to be parameters based so whatever you discover the cause to be can be a huge help in pinpointing some potential issue for sps tanks.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read through this... even dudes who have been at this for decades need to wait a few years for tanks to mature when started with dry/dead rock or have a pretty sterile landscape.

I read that along time ago , no disrespect to mike but for a guy of his stature the guy went insane and changed wayyyyyyy to many things and I’m not on his level but I don’t agree with anything in the article , guys I haven’t changed ANYTHING IN 1.2 years , you can’t even blame me on too
Many changes , once again the whole point of starting this thread

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also got me thinking that maybe while those high par numbers might be great once a frag transitions into mini-colony/colony size, as frags maybe it does more harm than good?

Again - very interesting topic and glad you posted this! Definitely one that needs to be kept updated bc it doesnt seem to be parameters based so whatever you discover the cause to be can be a huge help in pinpointing some potential issue for sps tanks.
Oh I will , im going to keep this thread rocking till
My tank is full of colonies

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is what BRS has recommended in their latest BRS Investigates video comparing new Hydra 32's and 64's. They say they recommend a 9 hour peak time if I remember correctly for the best growth rate.
Just found that video and watched it they did say 9 hours peak

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I am also in the same position as you are.. I have all this fancy equipment and a ati hybid who blasts par but almost no growth..
I have turned the leds back a bit and want to test my par levels soon..

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I am also in the same position as you are.. I have all this fancy equipment and a ati hybid who blasts par but almost no growth..
I have turned the leds back a bit and want to test my par levels soon..
Wow wild ! Okay well I’m going to keep this thread rocking till I have good growth and will share with everyone here , holding back nothing on this

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 5 cents.

I think it’s mainly to much Par causing photo inhibition. To point to the guys doing it really well WWC is running a 12 hour photoperiod with about a half hour ramp up and down. With par in the middle area between 200-350. 400-500s seem fine for the upper 1/4 of the tank but it’s just a lot of par.

Ive been using this to model my own tanks growth and have gotten almost a half inch growth on my green slimer.

don’t quit though whatever you do. Your keeping everything alive and healthy Be proud of all the work you’ve done so far

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! And I will keep an close eye on it;) how is ur flow? I have 2x tunze stream3. Sps polyps are moving constantly
My flow is 180-190x in the display ( people are telling me it’s “overflowed” maybe it’s possible , I have the new gyres left one is the xf350 at 100 percent right one is the xf330 at 100 percent and two mp10s at 100 percent on the back wall , everything is at short pulse random nothing is aimed directly at anything , pe is mega some look like shaggy dogs

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flow is 180-190x in the display ( people are telling me it’s “overflowed” maybe it’s possible , I have the new gyres left one is the xf350 at 100 percent right one is the xf330 at 100 percent and two mp10s at 100 percent on the back wall , everything is at short pulse random nothing is aimed directly at anything , pe is mega some look like shaggy dogs

Yep that's alot of flow:) but I don't know if it's too much.. good luck with finding ur right settings

Dustinc1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some Xenia and maybe a little blue pill in there! .. ha. NO..
I agree with a lot of others comments; reef looks amazing, quite jealous! I unfortunately don’t have any real answers on growth rate as I’m just fortune enough to have things stable, happy and alive at 2 years without issues. Just wanted to comment and give some reassurance how sweet the set up looks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back