OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first read everything I felt too much light. Get that adjusted then wait. Many corals take months before they really grow. SPS will still grow at 200 par. With high par shorter light cycle. Bet you don't get a lot of coralline only in shaded areas.
I have taken a hour of the full spectrum period , and will re rent the meter if I could have over nighted it tonight I would have , no over night on BRS probably due to covid

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have taken a hour of the full spectrum period , and will re rent the meter if I could have over nighted it tonight I would have , no over night on BRS probably due to covid
Hey I am one that has done too much light never had access to a par meter back then. On my last tank I had only two Orphek Atlantiks on a 72x30x30 tank and everything grew some grew so fast you could see daily growth. I ran a 12 hour lighting but only about 4 hours at 100%. I would have liked 4 of the lights over tank but would not have run them at 100%. The sun may shine more than 12 hours and even give higher par middle of the day but full par is not 8 hrs long.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 to 8.5 is what most consider middle of the road. Your nutrient levels are a bit high, and the reason your not seeing the typical burnt tips you do with an Alk that high.

I use to run my tank the same way, high ALK, high nutrient. I got very drab colors, but great growth. Since I'm not trying to grow out and frag my corals, I decided to take the route of lower nutrients, lower ALK for better color. Funny part about my little experiment over the course of a couple years now, I think I actually get better growth and color. Anecdotal I know, but just what I've witnessed in my own tank.

I now run my tank @ 2 to 5 NO3, .02 to .06 PO4, and my ALK at 6.8 to 7.4( I always test at 7.1 on my Hanna, but we all know with it's margin of error I could be anywhere between 7.4 to 6.8).
Same basic parameters I run. Tanks 11 months old. About 2 months ago I lowered alk to 7-7.3 and have seen better colors and growth too.
It was 8.5

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first read everything I felt too much light. Get that adjusted then wait. Many corals take months before they really grow. SPS will still grow at 200 par. With high par shorter light cycle. Bet you don't get a lot of coralline only in shaded areas.
I run my 8 T5's 4" off the surface and have to much coralline growth lol.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my 8 T5's 4" off the surface and have to much coralline growth lol.
Running 8 or 12 hours? It seems more people I know running T5s get more coralline but they also get good coral color and growth. My next setup which hopefully will be soon is going to be T5 with some led bars for more pop. Pretty much plug and play. I see to many people partially happy with their leds regardless of brand.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 8 or 12 hours? It seems more people I know running T5s get more coralline but they also get good coral color and growth. My next setup which hopefully will be soon is going to be T5 with some led bars for more pop. Pretty much plug and play. I see to many people partially happy with their leds regardless of brand.
I run 4b+ 4c+ 8hrs on and off. Going to 9hrs this weekend to give it a try.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few current closups of my 120. Last one is 7/3/19 10 months ago.
20200523_140940.jpg
20200523_140937.jpg
20200523_140932.jpg
20200523_140927.jpg
20200523_140924.jpg
20200523_140921.jpg
20190704_132355.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most local reefers run leds. Many just cant seem to set them and leave them be.
That may be why many have mixed results.
I have seen many led only tanks that are quite spectacular.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4b+ 4c+ 8hrs on and off. Going to 9hrs this weekend to give it a try.
Have you tried actinics. BRS on 8 tube 4 b+ 2 c+ and 2 actinic
I know most local reefers run leds. Many just cant seem to set them and leave them be.
That may be why many have mixed results.
I have seen many led only tanks that are quite spectacular.
That is so true. Most of the ones I see that look fantastic use lots of fixtures to cut down the shadowing.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is so true. Most of the ones I see that look fantastic use lots of fixtures to cut down the shadowing.
Tried 1 and 2 actinic but did not run them more than 3 weeks so no real info on growth.
I like the 4x4 look.
They did give more of the floresence look to some corals though.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried 1 and 2 actinic but did not run them more than 3 weeks so no real info on growth.
I like the 4x4 look.
They did give more of the floresence look to some corals though.
You like the less blue color you could always try an actinics in place of a b+

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know someone running 4 radions on a 120 and his tank is very nice.
I just could not justify the 3k in lighting as I run a used ati for less than $200 lol.
I do have 2 new lumenbrite 250 watt de mini mh systems sitting in the closet with 14k bulbs though lol.
Will use on a future upgrade.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone running 4 radions on a 120 and his tank is very nice.
I just could not justify the 3k in lighting as I run a used ati for less than $200 lol.
I do have 2 new lumenbrite 250 watt de mini mh systems sitting in the closet with 14k bulbs though lol.
Will use on a future upgrade.
Yes the cost of led fixtures is my thoughts. I have seen some nice tanks with Radions but when I see 3 on a 6 foot tank for LPS and softies and would be 4 for an sps tank it will pay for a lot of bulb changes.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think my alk level of 8.5 or so and a par of 450 is brain melting crazy , but like I have already done I pulled a whole hour off the schedule , how about this I will re rent the meter tonight from BRS and will re par the tank at 2 pm when lights are at Max ?
They’re not crazy high numbers at all, but this could be a situation where an alk of 7.8 causes an explosion of growth whereas 8.5 does not. There is no “set” alk or par number that will universally grow coral quickly. As we know, many things in this hobby functions within a range. That doesn’t mean any number within that range is the same. It’s a sliding scale with many other factors impacting it. For example, I can think of several instances where a doser failed on a reefer’s tank and they don’t notice it for a week because their corals were suddenly doing awesome and they never thought to check until things slowed back down again as alk got too low. In these instances, 7 or even 6.8 dkh in a VERY odd case that produced better growth versus a more typical 8 dkh.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the cost of led fixtures is my thoughts. I have seen some nice tanks with Radions but when I see 3 on a 6 foot tank for LPS and softies and would be 4 for an sps tank it will pay for a lot of bulb changes.
I feel I could get by with a hybrid as many are going that way with great results.
2 radions and 4 T5's would be nice.
Even used radions are up their in price though.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not crazy high numbers at all, but this could be a situation where an alk of 7.8 causes an explosion of growth whereas 8.5 does not. There is no “set” alk or par number that will universally grow coral quickly. As we know, many things in this hobby function within a range. That doesn’t mean any number within that range is the same. It’s a sliding scale with many other factors impacting it. For example, I can think of several instances where a doser failed on a reefer’s tank and they don’t notice it for a week because their corals were suddenly doing awesome and they never thought to check until things slowed back down again as alk got too low. In these instances, 7 or even 6.8 dkh produced better growth versus a more typical 8 dkh.
Goos advice! I experienced the exact same thing going from 8.5 to 7-7.3 where my tank sits now.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pared my tank 220-250 sand bed 4-500 middle 700 at the water line
400-500 mid depth for 12 hrs is a lot. But is it the only reason? I would not make many changes and would give 6-8 weeks between changes. Which corals show the most growth those on the bottom or those up high. Those with the most flow or those with the least flow. I don't feel alk of 8.5 is a problem as that is where mine was. Some people will say 1 year for a tank to be mature enough for SPS. Have you had any die? If not then you have better luck than most people in two years

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back