OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was really helpful
Watched it a million times the guy uses a porties ( sorry spelling ) he doesn’t use a baller 3 color tenuis , i wish he used a better coral on the test that’s why I’m not agreeing 100 percent with the video , so do you have radions ? , most if not all radion tanks that are successful run 12 hour schedules , I had 8 hours whites 4 hours blues , I have reduced it to 6 hours whites 6 hours blue , the blue light only would not make corals go into photoinhibtion that’s only like 150 par when those are on lol , so I have made a lighting adjustment and we will wait 60 days , your new to the party here , please read the whole thread , thanks

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched it a million times the guy uses a porties ( sorry spelling ) he doesn’t use a baller 3 color tenuis , i wish he used a better coral on the test that’s why I’m not agreeing 100 percent with the video , so do you have radions ? , most if not all radion tanks that are successful run 12 hour schedules , I had 8 hours whites 4 hours blues , I have reduced it to 6 hours whites 6 hours blue , the blue light only would not make corals go into photoinhibtion that’s only like 150 par when those are on lol , so I have made a lighting adjustment and we will wait 60 days , your new to the party here , please read the whole thread , thanks
You have a really good point I run radions with t5s but I’m thinking of just running the radions on the ab+ settings and see how it goes I really need a par meter tho my radions run for 11 hours currently with an 8 hour peak before my tank crashed 6 months ago I had the same problem my acros were all encrusting but no real up ward growth I got 5 acros right now that just hit my tank a month ago so we shall see how things go plus I got another 10 going into qt

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a really good point I run radions with t5s but I’m thinking of just running the radions on the ab+ settings and see how it goes I really need a par meter tho my radions run for 11 hours currently with an 8 hour peak before my tank crashed 6 months ago I had the same problem my acros were all encrusting but no real up ward growth I got 5 acros right now that just hit my tank a month ago so we shall see how things go plus I got another 10 going into qt
WOAH HOLD UP .. so you came at me telling me I have to aggressive of a light setting when you never even par’d your tank out didn’t read 1 sentence of the thread and your tank crashed as well!?!? Dude as nice as I can possibly be , don’t come in here like that unless you have really good proven facts , my tank has been up for almost 2 years zero crashes and I’ve tested everything under the sun , you actually should go back and read this you might pick some good stuff up there’s some really intelligent people in here .....

Last edited:

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOAH HOLD UP .. so you came at me telling me I have to aggressive of a light setting when you never even par’d your tank out didn’t read 1 sentence of the thread and your tank crashed as well!?!? Dude as nice as I can possibly be , don’t come in here like that unless you have really good proven facts , my tank has been up for almost 2 years zero crashes and I’ve tested everything under the sun , you actually should go back and read this you might pick some good stuff up there’s some really intelligent people in here .....
Whoa man I never said anything about ur tank I just commented on the thread to follow, it was a good thread that seemed to be helpful and if you noticed i actually went all the way back to first page and started there I’m just trying to learn here man you must have me confused with someone or are just taking my comment the wrong way

Last edited:

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa man I never said anything about ur tank I just commented on the thread to follow it was good thread that seemed to be helpful and if you noticed i actually went all the way back to first page and started there I’m just trying to learn here man you must have me confused with someone or are just taking my comment the wrong way

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE
My coment
C78243C4-FA48-4A57-B7F4-91A62C70DAED.jpeg

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You came into this the wrong way , let’s keep it on track thanks no worries just was triggered slightly at someone who told me to watch a light video when you haven’t even used a par meter yet.... could you see the frustration ? I literally HATE that video the guy used a porities he had multiple thousands of dollars of equipment and the guy uses that coral ? Come on man use a coral relevant to the current times of the hobby I was flamed in here because I compared birds nest growth to tenuis , well I’m flaming that video because you can’t use a video with that coral comparing it to our home tanks period

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You came into this the wrong way , let’s keep it on track thanks no worries just was triggered slightly at someone who told me to watch a light video when you haven’t even used a par meter yet.... could you see the frustration ? I literally HATE that video the guy used a porities he had multiple thousands of dollars of equipment and the guy uses that coral ? Come on man use a coral relevant to the current times of the hobby I was flamed in here because I compared birds nest growth to tenuis , well I’m flaming that video because you can’t use a video with that coral comparing it to our home tanks period
I get that your upset but all I did was like a video and say that it was helpful literally I don’t know what I could have done wrong

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First full disclosure I’ve only read thru 5 of the 22 pages so far and it seems pretty consistent on the advice give. If you decide to make any changes make them slowly so your coral can adjust.
One I would lower par a little bit should help with the growth as it seems your frags are just growing thicker to help protect them selves from the higher par.
second I would look to increase the Alk to around 11-12. I’ve done lots of experiments on different water chemistry and have found that my tanks with mag 1360-1400 cal 450-470 and Alk 11-12 my frags grew at twice the rate of my tanks where the Alk was between 8-9 with all other water parameters remaining the same and same lighting and water flow.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First full disclosure I’ve only read thru 5 of the 22 pages so far and it seems pretty consistent on the advice give. If you decide to make any changes make them slowly so your coral can adjust.
One I would lower par a little bit should help with the growth as it seems your frags are just growing thicker to help protect them selves from the higher par.
second I would look to increase the Alk to around 11-12. I’ve done lots of experiments on different water chemistry and have found that my tanks with mag 1360-1400 cal 450-470 and Alk 11-12 my frags grew at twice the rate of my tanks where the Alk was between 8-9 with all other water parameters remaining the same and same lighting and water flow.
Funny, to me anyway, that their are many different ways to run a system.
I run almost the same ca and mag levels you do but alk of 7-7.5. Alk was 8.5.
I get better color and growth with lower alk.
Low nutrient levels too.
If their was, one way, to run a reef system everyone would use it lol.

PurpleMonsterSlayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, to me anyway, that their are many different ways to run a system.
I run almost the same ca and mag levels you do but alk of 7-7.5. Alk was 8.5.
I get better color and growth with lower alk.
Low nutrient levels too.
If their was, one way, to run a reef system everyone would use it lol.
Don’t get me wrong you can still get growth from lower Alk levels but it has been proven that higher Alk levels increase the ability for corals to uptake what they need to grow. 8 out of my 11 tanks have higher Alk levels and grow coral much faster.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get me wrong you can still get growth from lower Alk levels but it has been proven that higher Alk levels increase the ability for corals to uptake what they need to grow. 8 out of my 11 tanks have higher Alk levels and grow coral much faster.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened on the last post lol.
In the late 80's the recommended alk was 15-18.
I am just not a fan of alk much higher than NSW.
I get plenty of growth without running higher nutrients. That being said their are plenty of awesome tanks that run higher alk.
Any pics? I checked out your build thread but none their.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things:

Dana used porites because it is what was growing in the tide pools in Hawaii where he was doing the research. I think the information is certainly valuable but I do agree it may not totally apply to other species.

I'm not sure if high alk has been proven to grow faster or not, but higher pH seems to. They kind of go hand in hand but that doesn't mean you can't have one without the other.

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful colors. That’s a lot of light, perhaps too much. Montipora usually plate like heck.

OP
OP
Ryan Mansa

Ryan Mansa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things:

Dana used porites because it is what was growing in the tide pools in Hawaii where he was doing the research. I think the information is certainly valuable but I do agree it may not totally apply to other species.

I'm not sure if high alk has been proven to grow faster or not, but higher pH seems to. They kind of go hand in hand but that doesn't mean you can't have one without the other.
He would have elevated him self to legend status if he used a orange passion or a Walt Disney but I get it I see your point I have branching off the pc rainbow we might be on the right track here

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back