Feeling like giving up

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm just about 6 months in and I'm feeling discouraged and I feel like throwing in the towel. I guess I didn't realize how much work goes into keeping my tank up. And fighting algae issues is tiring. Constantly checking parameters. Not to mention the money I've invested! I only have a few LPS coral and 8 fish. I will not be getting any more coral. Just being honest here.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm just about 6 months in and I'm feeling discouraged and I feel like throwing in the towel. I guess I didn't realize how much work goes into keeping my tank up. And fighting algae issues is tiring. Constantly checking parameters. Not to mention the money I've invested! I only have a few LPS coral and 8 fish. I will not be getting any more coral. Just being honest here.
I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. It can definitely be a time (and money) intensive hobby, and it's not for everyone. If you're looking for support to continue, this is a great place to find it; and if you're looking for support to leave the hobby, you're definitely allowed to do so if it's not bringing you enjoyment. Good luck either way. {{hugs}}

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chin up!

There is a reason that everything worthwhile takes effort. When there are problems, always go back to the basics. Try to consistently concentrate on the small things - this is how big things happen.

Now that we are done with the pep talk, what are the 1 or 2 major issues that need attention. List them here and R2R will help!

PITA TANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Give it another six months and things get easier. When it does it's a great feeling.

Rageb1t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you are in this position.

I started my current tank 1.25 years ago. For 6 months, I had a diatoms issue, and it felt like I could not beat it. I read up on All The Things to do, and nothing seemed to work. I was ready to toss in the towel. I stopped at a local fish store and talked to the owner, and he suggested Microbacter 7. I tried it for a few weeks and it worked.

Do you have a mentor or someone to talk to about this locally? It may help.

Best of luck!

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer is don’t give up there is a ugly stage your tank goes through put some cuc turbo snail sorted my tank at that stage . Keep your water right. And chill out it will all come good and don’t bankrupt yourself on equipment keep it simple a enjoy your tank. When I see algae I say to my self the turbo snails won’t starve LOL. Like I said sit back and enjoy your hobby

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, honestly the first year it’s best to just let the tank do its thing. It’s going to go through ugly phases but eventually it will come to an equilibrium. Best not to try fighting it the whole way.
What part of SC are you in? I’m down in the low country near HHI.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been there. I’m pretty new myself. Even through the losses I found reasons to continue. I hope you find your motivation again but I can understand how you’re feeling. My biggest help was the supportive people here, several who have become friends here. Hang in there and I hope you find the joy in the hobby again!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At 6 months, you are reaching the point of maturity and are fortunate to have 8 fish as many at 6 months are lucky to maintain 2-3 at this point.
The first thing to identify is, what issues are you having with coral and what type of coral?
Then what are you testing for and why?
What test kit s are you using?
Are you using Rodi water or tap water from the faucet?
Is your tank at or near a window?

Please post a couple of pic and even video of at least 25 seconds under white lighting

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All on here have struggled the first year, pushed through and now you can look at their build threads and see all those amazing reef tanks. There is no reason you won’t also. I hate to hear your frustration when you are so close to pushing through to the other side. That being said only you fully understand your situation. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly frustrated with my sandbed. It's completely brown! I thought it was cyano so I tried chemiclean it did nothing. I'm starting to think it's diatoms but really bad. I'm thinking it's due to me using distilled water to top off as I can't always get to my lfs and I haven't purchased a rodi system

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly frustrated with my sandbed. It's completely brown! I thought it was cyano so I tried chemiclean it did nothing. I'm starting to think it's diatoms but really bad. I'm thinking it's due to me using distilled water to top off as I can't always get to my lfs and I haven't purchased a rodi system
My sand cleaning crew keeps my sandbed crystal clean. Diamond watchman goby, nassarius snails and a tiger conch. Easy peasy. If you aren’t already start adding pods and phyto, start, pods will eat diatoms. I look forward to seeing your beautiful tank i six months to a year.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be said with certainty that it will get better. What cant be predicted is how long. In my case, I had an undiagnosed problem of Uromena for 2 years until I finally did another DNA test which confirmed. I then went to a regimen of treatments until someone on a chat forum like this one suggested Formalin in the display tank. I coupled it with metro in food and Wa-la seems to have worked. I almost got out of the hobby on more than one occasion during this process and fellow hobbyist on these chat forums kept me going. My passion for the hobby also helped and ultimately I thrived on wanting to solve the issue and not be defeated. I have a 625, 240 and 140 tanks so I know the time and money needed…however just love the hobby and having a slice of the ocean in my home office/fish room!

Hopefully that helps!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first six months is definitely a difficult time for most but as others have said it’s the threshold that separates successful hobbyist who have beautiful tanks for years from those that tap out and leave the hobby. Just like to add while sand beds look amazing when well maintained you could go bare bottom and take that hassle out of the equation. Also you could go FOWLR. There are lots of beautiful fish you can keep that just won’t go in a reef tank plus it’s pretty straight forward. You wouldn’t be constantly testing as you mentioned and may find you enjoy the fish more than the corals! Otherwise as others have said it’s just a game of patience and if the corals are what you really want to keep you just have to stay the course and eventually things will turn out for the better! Whatever direction you go just keep the tank running and don’t give up there’s lots of people on here for support and guidance!

OP
OP
South Carolina reef

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton for all the help. I'm definitely staying with the current 3 lps and hove no plans on more coral anytime soon. I think I underestimated the ugly stage a lot....maybe listening to BRS to much lol....my fish seem happy I would miss them too much as they know me and look to me for everything. I just need to power through this phase as ugly as it is.

Also I do have 5 turbo snails a lawnmower blenny a fox face and small tang that do a good job of keeping the place relatively clean.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first six months is definitely a difficult time for most but as others have said it’s the threshold that separates successful hobbyist who have beautiful tanks for years from those that tap out and leave the hobby. Just like to add while sand beds look amazing when well maintained you could go bare bottom and take that hassle out of the equation. Also you could go FOWLR. There are lots of beautiful fish you can keep that just won’t go in a reef tank plus it’s pretty straight forward. You wouldn’t be constantly testing as you mentioned and may find you enjoy the fish more than the corals! Otherwise as others have said it’s just a game of patience and if the corals are what you really want to keep you just have to stay the course and eventually things will turn out for the better! Whatever direction you go just keep the tank running and don’t give up there’s lots of people on here for support and guidance!
I forgot to mention above that the Uromena was in my 625g FOWLR tank so it was fine to treat the DT with Formalin.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back