Fellow cat slaves, how do you keep your kitty off the aquarium?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kitten that has found out that he can sit on the lid, blocking the light and overall being an butt to the fish.

This little monster doesn't care about water at all, he even seems to like it. Sticky tape only mildy annoys him and aluminium foil and saran wrap are great to tear apart and play with. He jumps on using the little cabinet next to the tank holding the ato reservoir and controllers etc., so I can't really prevent him from jumping up there.

How do you keep your kitty off the tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kitten that has found out that he can sit on the lid, blocking the light and overall being an butt to the fish.

This little monster doesn't care about water at all, he even seems to like it. Sticky tape only mildy annoys him and aluminium foil and saran wrap are great to tear apart and play with. He jumps on using the little cabinet next to the tank holding the ato reservoir and controllers etc., so I can't really prevent him from jumping up there.

How do you keep your kitty off the tank?

I don't... I just put a sturdy lid on the tanks.

zerkonlid.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most cats that I have had, the first time they go in the tank then they quickly lose interest. I currently have one who doesn't share the dramatic aversion to water, so I went with a strong lid on tanks that she can get on. HTH.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three cats. luckily none of them have an interest. Also, there's no way for them to get on top of the tank without falling in (as far as they know). no way to gradually climb, they'd have to jump straight to the top.

I'd show your cat the tank without a lid on it, then put it back on when they're not looking.. thats what I did lol.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

zerkonlid.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous cat and absolutely amazing tank! I love how this picture tells an interesting story without using words!

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research...

So when the cat goes on top of the tank you're supposed to remove them from the room and put them in a different room. Over time that's how I taught my cat to not go on top of it. If your tank is in a room with a door, remove the cat and close toe door and keep doing it over and over. Eventually they will learn.

Something about cat behavior and removing them from the area

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zerkonlid.jpg
Beautiful cat! Is that a mesh cover?
I'm using a glass lid after the worst summer heat is gone, so I'm not scared the lid isn't going to hold him. When he sits on top, he keeps blocking the light, which scares the fish.

I have three cats. luckily none of them have an interest. Also, there's no way for them to get on top of the tank without falling in (as far as they know). no way to gradually climb, they'd have to jump straight to the top.

I'd show your cat the tank without a lid on it, then put it back on when they're not looking.. thats what I did lol.
I have tried this, but it just fueled his curiosity :rolleyes: Maybe if he gets his feet wet he'll lose interest.

I did some research...

So when the cat goes on top of the tank you're supposed to remove them from the room and put them in a different room. Over time that's how I taught my cat to not go on top of it. If your tank is in a room with a door, remove the cat and close toe door and keep doing it over and over. Eventually they will learn.

Something about cat behavior and removing them from the area
Interesting, I'll give it a try.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful cat! Is that a mesh cover?
I'm using a glass lid after the worst summer heat is gone, so I'm not scared the lid isn't going to hold him. When he sits on top, he keeps blocking the light, which scares the fish.

I have tried this, but it just fueled his curiosity :rolleyes: Maybe if he gets his feet wet he'll lose interest.

Interesting, I'll give it a try.

It is mesh...and hasn't come apart. It is from artfully acrylic. He likes to jump up and smack the front of the tank. The fish get over it and are just fine. I keep mostly sensitive fish and it's no problem. The occasional cat shinannigans is nothing.

He is a kitten and will likely calm down but the best way to keep my active bengals out of trouble is to get a cat toy like da bird and wear them out. They just want to hunt and play and burn energy.

Last edited:

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep it away from furniture that the devil can attempt to make a leap of faith... she also is very smart and understands discipline well.. SO she knows when I say no around the tank she just goes the opposite way...

giphy.gif

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chubby girl doesn't care in the slightest. However, my forever-kitten adores sitting on my quarantine tank and harassing the firefish. He's learned that if he's nice and doesn't make any sudden moves, they'll come out of their hide and watch him. We have a glass lid that he sits on/keeps them from carpet surfing.

20200913_192105.jpg

nikki7181

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to put a snap mouse trap where you don't want you cat to be. They will only activate it once, then never go to that spot again. I never tried it, but desperate times may call for desperate measures.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that issue with a cat years ago.
Bought a scat mat strip and it only took one try and the cat was cured forever.

I sold a lot of scat mats in my days at the pet store! They worked really well according to my customers.

This ^^

Let him fall in once. Problem solved.

We had a kitten go through a plastic lid on my daughter's moms freshwater planted tank. Dunked a foot or something and didn't seem too bothered...

Until the relatively good sized clown knife came out and gave the kitten a bit of a nibble. She watched from a distance after that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back