Female clown grabbed male by bottom fins and dragged him?

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More or less wondering if this is something I should be worried about. I walked by my tank today and noticed that my female clown had the male in her mouth by the two fins on his belly and was pulling him downwards. He was flailing a little but not really fighting back much. As soon as she saw me, the female dropped him and came up to the surface of the water (she always wants food, no matter what). now they're fine. Swimming around like nothing happened. One of the male's fins kinda looks like it might be damaged but honestly, he's too small for me to see it with my poor vision.

I haven't seen any aggressive behavior between them in a while so this just seems a little out of place and I'm curious about what she might have been doing. Normally she'll occasionally nip in his direction and he does the seizure dance, and then she leaves him alone. They've been together with little to no problems for more than a year now. Every now and then she actually grabs him, but usually its by a side fin, not the small bottom ones. Just seemed odd.

Should I be concerned? Or is that pretty much normal dominance behavior for a female clown? Unsurprisingly, I still can't tell if my female just wants to fight everything or if she wants to murder everything.

OP
OP
ArtsyAxolotl

ArtsyAxolotl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. So it doesn't stick out to you as abnormal. She must have just been feeling extra mean today. Saw the male just now while they were sleeping and his swimming was less excited.. his bottom fins are definitely in tact. I think he might have tucked up the one she was holding and that's why it looked like it was damaged. Life is hard for a male clown.

thanks for the reassurance!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a documentary about clownfish in the wild and there is a colony of clownfish at least 20 of them on top of a giant Anemone and guess what? There is only ONE FEMALE and she constant harass the other 19+ clownfishes just to make sure they are stay in MALE lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back