Female clown had 2 bulging eyes, mouth locked open. Sores around mouth.

JONOVO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of clowns. Have had them for 5 years. Last Sunday. My female had 2 bulging eyes, mouth locked open, and what looked like, sores on the sides of her face. (First video) She wasn’t eating. I set up a 10gal hospital tank. Have been treating her with Metroplex, every other day. Doing small water changes every day and dosing prime. she has been in the hospital tank almost a week. Eyes have gone down. Sores are going away. Still has the stuck open mouth. She is eating small amounts of food. Inhales small bits through her mouth. If she grabs a piece that’s a bit too big. It falls out. Doesn’t seem to be breathing hard. .

I’m just curious if there is anything else I should or could be doing? I know there is a chance she may never close her mouth again. I have heard about using epsom salt, iodine, is the metroplex enough? Can I, or should I be using another antibiotic as well? How long should I keep her in there? I’m just curious if anyone has any helpful input?
Thanks!!

OP
OP
JONOVO

JONOVO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being in the hospital tank for a week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t open video on my phone but for both eyes you may have bacterial issue in which fish will need to be quarantined
Lock jaw often dislodges in its own but I am curious on your water quality such as ammonia and nitrate readings

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned the "first video", but I only see one video. Was there supposed to be a second one?

The clown has a dislocated jaw. I've never seen a clownfish develop this.

Epsom salts are useless in seawater (they are a freshwater treatment that mistakenly got applied to marine aquariums). Iodine is very tricky to use, as it is an oxidant and very toxic if overdosed. Metronidazole is mostly a treatment for protozoans (and some rare bacteria). A broad spectrum, gram negative antibtioic would be the choice to have used, but now, I don;t see any overt signs of bacterial disease.

My thought is that this developed from an injury (and that could account for the eye and face issues as well). In the cases I've seen, that was the cause. They don't alwaqys heal, and if they do, they don't heal 100%. You could try sedating the fish with clove oil and then try pushing the jaw back into position.

Jay

Back