Female clownfish with small raised white spots

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clownfish is showing white raised spots on her sides. I also noticed white stringy poo so I dosed with prazipro and ordered metroplex and focus. Does anyone know what this could be? I don't think it's ich...

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 5.46.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 5.46.21 PM.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the Metroplex/Focus, it won't work. The joke is, if the fish eat the mix, your dose is too low. If the fish refuse to eat it (metro is VERY bitter) you have the dose right (5000ppm) but it still won't work!

What makes you think this isn't ich (Cryptocaryon)? Some of the spots look a tad too large and diffuse, but some are on the fins, and that is a good marker for ich. The trick is - map some of the spot's location (like you have in this picture) take another picture in 48 hours or so. If the spots are in different locations, and in different numbers (either more or less spots) then it is probably ich. If the same spots are in the same location, then it isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
cd459

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the Metroplex/Focus, it won't work. The joke is, if the fish eat the mix, your dose is too low. If the fish refuse to eat it (metro is VERY bitter) you have the dose right (5000ppm) but it still won't work!

What makes you think this isn't ich (Cryptocaryon)? Some of the spots look a tad too large and diffuse, but some are on the fins, and that is a good marker for ich. The trick is - map some of the spot's location (like you have in this picture) take another picture in 48 hours or so. If the spots are in different locations, and in different numbers (either more or less spots) then it is probably ich. If the same spots are in the same location, then it isn't ich.

Jay
So for the white poop, metro won't help? Should I just stick with praziquantel then? I don't think it's ich because the fish isn't scratching and also none of the other fish are showing spots or scratching. Not sure if that's enough to assume.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for the white poop, metro won't help? Should I just stick with praziquantel then? I don't think it's ich because the fish isn't scratching and also none of the other fish are showing spots or scratching. Not sure if that's enough to assume.
Metro in the water might help with the mucus feces, but as I said, it cannot work as a food additive.

Here is an article I wrote that discusses the difficulties in using medicated foods:

Here is an article that discusses fish mucus (including in feces). The article is in a pdf along the righthand column:

In the end, I'm not as worried about the feces as I am about the spots being possible ich.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back