Female dispar anthias acting weird

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. So weird one today. I have a 4 foot 65 gallon Waterbox tank. Anyway all the fish were quaratined and have been together for 7 months no issues I’ve seen. Nothing on the camera as well. My lone dispar always schools with my chromis and she’s been happy since day one doing this. No issues. Today I come home I can’t find her. After a while she was hiding in a tunnel. So she came out and my chromis nipped at her and my tang etc. Never happened before. Normally she schools in the water table. She’s had the best diet ever salmon shrimp scallops and clam with selcon and flakes and pellets and brine shrimp. She looks fine. Her breathing is Normal but she was swimming near the bottom but not laying. She was still swimming with the current but the jerks started picking on her knowing that she was in distress. So? Anyone has this happen? She’s back in her tunnel in safety right now. No fine nipped or anything. Maybe she’s sick and they’re praying on her. No parasites in this tank!

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be going through a transition to male. Any notice in eating response?
She’s the only female. When I did the purchase I researched that a single female will be fine in this tank as she has. Loves schooling with the chromis. She has been eating normally everyday for months since I got her. Today I fed the fish there amazing 5 course meal abs I realized she was hiding. Today for me she didn’t eat.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a possibility with anthias going through transition, so can aggression, and other reasons. Does it look bloated in any way? Fish can get constipated and wont eat as much. If it continues may consider isolating it.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks perfect. No bloating. Breathing regular. I’m happy she’s in her tunnel where she likes to chill. I can setup a separate tank for her I have many options. Is it worth it to catch her and stress her out? I guess we will see tomorrow after work. If anything happens this is my first loss in a long time. Thanks everyone

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its an ongoing aggression thing yes its worth it. If other reasons not so much one can do about it. Keep an eye on other fish though to see if they slow down eating too this could suggest a possible internal bug.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Pam Pam my anthias is still alive been living in her fav tunnel she pokes out once in a while. So weird. I believe she is slowly turning colours. In your experiences do they hide for a while and. Not each much when this happens???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back