Female Flame Wrasse to Male?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have had no luck with male flame wrasses and because they are so expensive I was thinking of buying a female to put in with my female. Will one eventually change into a MALE? I am being told that they will but don't want to buy and they end up fighting eventually one ending up killed. Let me know if anyone had the experience of seeing female flame wrasses changing to male.

Thanks!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add another one they'll eventually fight to the death because both will eventually turn male. just wait on the female, she'll turn male eventually
+100
Don't buy another.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, interesting! I never knew that ... so all females eventually turn male. I guess that doesn't make sense to me :). but if that is the case then I will wait until this turns male and then get another female. Any idea the time it takes for them to change? is it similar to say an angel getting it;s adult colors?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any idea the time it takes for them to change?
Too much variability is at play to answer that directly; it could be a few weeks to many months.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, interesting! I never knew that ... so all females eventually turn male. I guess that doesn't make sense to me :). but if that is the case then I will wait until this turns male and then get another female. Any idea the time it takes for them to change? is it similar to say an angel getting it;s adult colors?

Please don't get another female when your present one turns male. Wrasses don't pair and as already pointed out, it too will transition to male causing a big problem with aggression (read possible fight to the death).

Multiple male fairy wrasses of different species will work great to achieve the displaying you're seeking. Just read evolved's article on fairy wrasses and study the chart that gives great advice on wisely choosing which males you put in your tank.

CirrhilabrusComplexes.PNG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back