Female Frostbite Clownfish has three brown spots

cambowrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a red sea reefer 170 and it was running for 2 years from the previous owner. Its been 3 weeks since putting my clownfish from my own 60 gallon to the red sea that I have recently noticed brown spots on the female clownfish.

My salinity is 1.026
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

To clarify there were no problems in my 60 gallon with the fish, only when they were put in the red sea, the rocks and sand were from previous owner, and sand was rinsed throughly to prevent nitrate issues. Is there anything I can do to treat whatever this is in the display as I have gsp and invert’s. Or will a quarantine tank be required to further treat?

C285B0C5-D094-4643-969B-4187733BA302.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1535.MOV
    32.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I recently acquired a red sea reefer 170 and it was running for 2 years from the previous owner. Its been 3 weeks since putting my clownfish from my own 60 gallon to the red sea that I have recently noticed brown spots on the female clownfish.

My salinity is 1.026
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

To clarify there were no problems in my 60 gallon with the fish, only when they were put in the red sea, the rocks and sand were from previous owner, and sand was rinsed throughly to prevent nitrate issues. Is there anything I can do to treat whatever this is in the display as I have gsp and invert’s. Or will a quarantine tank be required to further treat?

C285B0C5-D094-4643-969B-4187733BA302.jpeg
These look like lesions which may have stemmed from poor water quality, diet or even bites from another previous tank mate.
Treatment would be seachem kanaplex, Maracyn 2 or ruby rally pro

OP
OP
cambowrin

cambowrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these medications reef safe? And I have currently have been feeding frozen food “rods food”. I thought this was the healthiest option to feeding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the three tan spots, but is there also some discoloration next to the single black spot near the tail? Seems to be in the video.

Did these spots show up right after the transfer? If so, I would suspect they are from damage during the moving of the fish.

There isn't any true antibiotic that can be used safely in a display tank. There are a lot of "tonics" on the market that say they can, but they are not true antibiotics, and often don't work.

You may not need to treat this. It depends on if the lesions are growing in size or increasing in number.

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice pair of clowns.
If those three small dots are the only issue, and the fish is behaving a normally and eating well, Id do nothing but keep and eye on it.

I get “marks” on my fish hear and there, and they seem to repair on there own.

Im always OK with treating fish but only when I can reasonably ascertain what I’m trying to fix, all meds add stress and can reduce appetite which is so counterproductive.

When you changed the DT, you changed the terrorities, which will be reset going forward, maybe just a “love” bite.

OP
OP
cambowrin

cambowrin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyones replies, im going to just leave it alone and let the fish heal with out medicating.

Back