Female ocellaris died after laying eggs?

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever see this happen? This is a pair I've had from their youth and they are now 4.5 yrs old but this was their first spawn. I just discovered the eggs yesterday and was so excited, although they appear to be a few days old as they are not orange and I can see the shiny parts (eyes? ) in the egg sacs.

I noticed a few days ago that they were both thinner than normal and she would come out from their usual hang out at feeding time but wouldn't let him come eat. Yesterday while adjusting a light I saw the eggs and the male is hovering and fanning and doing his thing. She looked a little out of it, like she was asleep with her eyes open.

Couple hours later she looks the same way and I think maybe it's normal while guarding eggs, this is my first experience with clownfish mating.

Late last night I checked and she was down on the bottom just sitting there on her belly. This morning she's definitely dead.

Any ideas what happened??

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about clownfish but just wanted to say sorry for your loss? Did you take a pic of her in the tank and outside (like on a paper towel) so the experts can see if there was possible disease? I don't think I have ever heard of a situation like this before. Maybe it's possible she was partially egg bound and couldn't lay all of them? I lost a freshwater fish to this but she was completely egg bound.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking egg bound could have played a role. She has always been an extremely hearty and healthy fish, first to the top of the water at feeding time and even the tomini tang is submissive to her. I will post a pic shortly for review.

Appreciate everyone's comments, thank you. This pair of clowns were my first saltwater fish as a total noob in Oct 2017. I had hoped to have them for many more years. This is also my first fish loss that wasn't a carpet dive or eaten by the tang. Oh and a dottyback that got wedged into a rock and rubbed his sides raw and died.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you described her behaviour after (looking out of it) is very odd and doesn't sound like disease which is why I thought maybe partially egg bound. I don't know if that can cause something like organ failure or maybe toxicity build up or shock. I do know it took my freshwater fish very quickly. Losses are always hard but even more so when they are your first inhabitants. :-(

Back