Fenbendazole and digitate hydroids.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 400 mg of fenbendazole in my 250g on Saturday. My goal is to eliminate the digitate gydroids that seem to be exploding in my tank.

I took a peek at the tank before the lights came on early this morning and the hydroids were all extended but seemed a little, well, flaccid for lack of a better term.

When can I expect these little devils to give up the ghost for good? Does anyone have experience with this treatmen?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fenbendazole had no effect on the hydroids whatsoever. If this has worked for others I must be doing something wrong.

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in my tank, and only last night realized how many I had in my overflow. I plan to reduce feeding and increase water changes, as well as siphon out any I can. We’ll see if that works! Haha

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some in my tank, and only last night realized how many I had in my overflow. I plan to reduce feeding and increase water changes, as well as siphon out any I can. We’ll see if that works! Haha
Mine went from a few, to a few hundred in about 2 weeks. They will get out of control in a hurry.

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is very very little information about digitate hydroids, I personally have no idea what genus honestly could be considered a digitate hydroid, and I really cant find much published research

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin, dead. The hydroids disappeared for about 2 weeks and then returned. They're like weeds.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. I am going to dose into my tank to treat stupid digitates. They are stinging my euphyllia.
Good luck. I treated twice but I should have done the second treatment about 10 days after the first. If you're running carbon, discontinue during treatment.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I treated twice but I should have done the second treatment about 10 days after the first. If you're running carbon, discontinue during treatment.
Hey man, so the hydroids are starting to show some expansion again. I’m assuming that means the treatment wasn’t effective? Stupid me, I forgot to remove carbon for 5 mins after dosing. Not sure if I underdosed.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm convinced these things are invincible. Mine have come back as well. Try again and see if you're more successful this time. It just might require two doses fourteen days apart to be fully effective. I don't know.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sort of. I knocked them back pretty good with a second dose of fenbendazole but they started coming back just weeks later. I added a six-line wrasse and though I haven't seen it tackle the hydroids it looks like it could be. I have only seen a couple of them recently and they don't seem to be taking over the tank.

Anak's Reef on IG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sort of. I knocked them back pretty good with a second dose of fenbendazole but they started coming back just weeks later. I added a six-line wrasse and though I haven't seen it tackle the hydroids it looks like it could be. I have only seen a couple of them recently and they don't seem to be taking over the tank.
Hope it goes well and the hydroids leave soon. I had them too, it’s my first time reef keeping and there is so little info about them so I restarted my tank and it’s still cycling again right now. I tried Fenbendazole once but it didn’t work and just covered up the hydroids with a ton of algae. I had another algae outbreak for a long couple of weeks until I finally decided that I should just restart all my livestock is sitting in a tub right now. . They keep coming back. Good luck!
D12F0B71-774E-468A-AF32-294DA4AB0004.jpeg
5DA0900B-83C4-40AF-9375-4C81C9BBDA67.jpeg
0A6155AF-E3EC-47A8-AEE4-91416009FB3F.jpeg
874562B8-DC55-4D81-B2E3-B68005FEC712.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back