Fight! Fight! Fight! Wet Skimming vs Dry Skimming

Do you prefer dry skimming or wet skimming?

• Dry Skimming

Votes: 278 47.1%
  • Wet Skimming

Votes: 241 40.8%
  • Neither, no skimmer

Votes: 50 8.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wet Skimming vs Dry Skimming

Ok just kidding about the FIGHT part but let's for real discuss wet skimming versus dry skimming and why you like one over the other.

What's the difference?

Laymen terms: Dry skimming is when your protein skimmer produces an almost dry like foam that takes a lot longer for your collection cup to fill up. Wet skimming is very "wet" and produces a more liquid waste more often. Dry skimming waste is usually very dark in color while wet skimming is lighter and looks somewhat like tea. Don't drink it though! ;)

@Randy Holmes-Farley terms: Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.

So let's discuss it today!

1. Do you prefer dry skimming or wet skimming?

2. What differences in the two have you noticed when it comes to the exportation of waste from your reef tank?

image via @reeftivo
20180117_171620.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you prefer dry skimming or wet skimming ?

I tend to run my skimmer on the dryer side but I don’t fiddle with it too much. If it goes wet then I deal with it as is as long as it does not overflow

2. What differences in the two have you noticed when it comes to the exportation of waste from your reef tank?

For me the reason I like the dry skim is so I don’t need to empty my skimmer cup as often. I would love a skimmate container but I am already crammed for room and what room I have will go to the equipment I need and want, not something so I can be even lazier.

One more observation: I have noticed that when I dry skim then the top of the body of the skimmer gets a heavier skimmate film on it. It can get very thick. When that happens I use a small silicone spatula and clean it out. It happens with wet skim but not as much nor as often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90% of the time I skim dry. Seems to be the most consistent for me, and only empty the skimmer cup maybe once a week or so. I don't think that skimming wet removes much more organics, but do think it could remove them a little more quickly than dry. I only mess around with wet skimming if my nutrients test high or if I'm trying to remove medicine or something from the tank. I also tend to overflow the skimmer cup much more frequently when wet skimming, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second skimmer picture there looks a little wet for my taste on that one I'll have to adjust

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. As a noob this is something I'm trying to understand (as in "When" and "Why" these are used). I just started researching skimmers. Also it sounds like some skimmers go from dry to wet automatically (and vice versa?) as NanoReefLovers reply (#2). I'm trying to understand the circumstances in which that happens. I look forward to reading more in this thread.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just began running a skimmer and really don't know the benefits of one vs. the other. Can someone expound on why wet is better than dry or vise versa. Rite now i'm just letting it break in...

Daveph68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a drain plug on the bottom of the RO Essence 130 draing into a gallon BRS jug, RO quick disconnects between skimmer and jug

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the route I'm going for my first tank which will be a 5g. Space restrictions prevent an under tank sump so would have no room for one.
IMO you definitely do not need a skimmer on a 5G

Honestly I think I'd only run a skimmer on something 75G and up, and only then if I was heavy feeding trying to promote intense intense growth. but I'm getting great growth (at least I think it's good) with other methods.

Otherwise I wouldn't put a skimmer on a system probably under 120G. After that size I'm just so scared of losing that much money I'd put an expensive skimmer just cuz it's cheaper.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what i did for awhile but now my bio-load has gotten bigger and i'm hoping a skimmer can assist in getting the nitrates back at a lower level
I agree that you might get to the point where you need one either that or you're doing a lot of water changes or doing additives to control the situation.

Monney00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skim a bit drier, mostly because of how temperamental my skimmer is. If I try to get “just a bit wetter”, all hell breaks loose and it is overflow city. Plus I am lazy and don’t like to frequently empty to container

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back