Fight! Fight! Fight! Wet Skimming vs Dry Skimming

Do you prefer dry skimming or wet skimming?

• Dry Skimming

Votes: 278 47.1%
  • Wet Skimming

Votes: 241 40.8%
  • Neither, no skimmer

Votes: 50 8.5%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 21 3.6%

• Total voters

reefviper101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet Skimming vs Dry Skimming

Ok just kidding about the FIGHT part but let's for real discuss wet skimming versus dry skimming and why you like one over the other.

What's the difference?

Laymen terms: Dry skimming is when your protein skimmer produces an almost dry like foam that takes a lot longer for your collection cup to fill up. Wet skimming is very "wet" and produces a more liquid waste more often. Dry skimming waste is usually very dark in color while wet skimming is lighter and looks somewhat like tea. Don't drink it though! ;)

@Randy Holmes-Farley terms: Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.

So let's discuss it today!

1. Do you prefer dry skimming or wet skimming?

2. What differences in the two have you noticed when it comes to the exportation of waste from your reef tank?

image via @reeftivo
20180117_171620.jpg

Ok just kidding about the FIGHT part but let's for real discuss wet skimming versus dry skimming and why you like one over the other.

What's the difference?

Laymen terms: Dry skimming is when your protein skimmer produces an almost dry like foam that takes a lot longer for your collection cup to fill up. Wet skimming is very "wet" and produces a more liquid waste more often. Dry skimming waste is usually very dark in color while wet skimming is lighter and looks somewhat like tea. Don't drink it though! ;)

@Randy Holmes-Farley terms: Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.

2. What differences in the two have you noticed when it comes to the exportation of waste from your reef tank?

image via @reeftivo
20180117_171620.jpg
I'm not sure i have a skimmer on my 36g tho problem is i do not fully understand skimming and dialing in my skimmer isn't working vary well.

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an issue with my skimmer as it overflow. Just started my tank but the skimmer isn’t new. Took the cup of for now and hoping it will calm the f..k down soon! It’s been going like this for three days...it’s a bubble king mini 180.
B33D84BF-02E1-4DB4-A95B-9EFEE81A20BC.jpeg
B1398499-76BA-4C4E-8B54-B7D5BDFE66AA.jpeg
Boss skimmer! Raise it up a bit with some egg crate or skimmer stand.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the difference?

image via @reeftivo
20180117_171620.jpg

I love this skimmer! ATB has always worked for me. Only one I have ever had. Planning on buying another for my new build.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the day and what I’m trying to achieve with my tank.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, that doesn’t have a one size fits all. Different times require different settings. When a tank is stable, or aged, dry skim works great. When a tank has issues, or cycles it’s going through, wet skim works best.

sohal tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the difference?

image via @reeftivo
20180117_171620.jpg
So to be clear..if I set my skimmer to dry skimming as opposed to wet skimming...will the skimmer remove MORE nutrient then wet skimming or less nutrient then wet skimming ? Thanks for clarification. Tim

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be clear..if I set my skimmer to dry skimming as opposed to wet skimming...will the skimmer remove MORE nutrient then wet skimming or less nutrient then wet skimming ? Thanks for clarification. Tim

Not more, maybe less.

Of course, the answer may depend on what you do to make wet vs dry foam, but if you just let a wet foam drain more to become a dry foam, it cannot possibly remove more organics than the wet foam does.

What is Skimming? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Wet vs. Dry Skimming
Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not more, maybe less.

Of course, the answer may depend on what you do to make wet vs dry foam, but if you just let a wet foam drain more to become a dry foam, it cannot possibly remove more organics than the wet foam does.

What is Skimming? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Wet vs. Dry Skimming
Foam draining is a critical stage for most skimmers. One problem with drainage is that some organics are washed away with the draining water. There is always an equilibrium between organics in solution, and those actually attached to the interface. As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. The primary difference between wet foam, and drained dry foam, is that additional water and some organics have drained away. A dry form is more efficient in terms of the amount of organic removed in relation to the water volume, and all skimmers and their potential adjustments strike some balance between removing more water and slightly more organics, or less water and slightly fewer organics. Perhaps a careful analysis of different types of skimming will, in the future, show this expected result experimentally.
It might not remove 'more' than dry foam - could it remove less? (Which would have been my thought0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not remove 'more' than dry foam - could it remove less? (Which would have been my thought0

Yes, I expect wet skimmate removes more organics, and it certainly cannot remove less if it is made just by less draining.

How much more is the unknown. 1%? 50%? 200%?

Db40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run my skimmer dry most of the time but then turn it up to wet once a week or so to get about 5g of skimmate off. Essentially a skimmed water change. I seem to feed pretty heavy so that helps me with nutrient control.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back