Fighting black bugs with dr g. Any tips??

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I’m about to start my treatment with dr g lps and sps dip. Any pointers in using this for black bugs? I’ve been dipping with koral rx. Might try Bayer tonight. Tomorrow dr g comes in. Dipping for the past couple of weeks gets the adult bugs off. Which they just start coming off the coral when they get dipped. 15 min or so with 30 drops in half a gallon. This is double the dose. I blow the corals off with a baster. Rinse dip them back in my tank. Corals colors are coming back. I only had a few that are losing tissue. These are all acros that are being infected.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.MOV
    20.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hear it works. I always recommend when using any new med or treatment- dose at 80% of recommended
Also siphon tank after 48hrs to remove dead bugs and treat again in case of any eggs

OP
OP
MavPond

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear it works. I always recommend when using any new med or treatment- dose at 80% of recommended
Also siphon tank after 48hrs to remove dead bugs and treat again in case of any eggs
Suppose to be a 3 week treatment plan

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes it is. Light siphon after initial 48 hrs and continue

OP
OP
MavPond

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on black bugs. It’s almost been two weeks. Dosed dr g 5 cap fulls at 110 total water value. Dosed on a Thursday. then dipped two days later with koral md. Then two days after that I dosed same 5 capfuls of dr gs. I did two cycles of this with today being the start of the third. I did a dip with Sunday with no bugs to be found. Tonight will be hopefully my last tank treatment of dr gs. Then I’ll dip in a couple of days. I did do a Bayer dip on two of my dip cycles. I did a koral rx dip for 15 min. Then did a Bayer for 5 right after and even more came off. I loss about 3 or 4 acros during this process. 1 colony which was a tenius and a few frags that weren’t encrusted. The encrusted ones I notice were a long stringer. The colony’s I cut all bases with new frag plugs. The frags I never changed the bases due to not cause more stress. I also bought a 6 line wrasse. I took out most crabs, the ones that left in there slowed way down and didn’t move. A lot of them fell off rocks from being stunned. Some made it some died. My cleaner shrimp survived. I couldn’t catch him or I would have pulled him out. Snails were pulled out and I left a handful in. They were not affected from the dr gs so I put them all back. I have to clean my glass more on my tank. There’s like a film that starting to cover my aquascape. Not sure what it is. I have to repopulate my copepods. Hopefully this helps other people out. If you have any questions. Please ask.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video is the stuff of my nightmares. Glad to hear it seems to have worked.

Is the active ingredient in Dr G's still milbemycin oxime? Thought I heard somewhere they had switched to something else but unsure.

OP
OP
MavPond

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video is the stuff of my nightmares. Glad to hear it seems to have worked.

Is the active ingredient in Dr G's still milbemycin oxime? Thought I heard somewhere they had switched to something else but unsure.
It doesn’t say anymore. Says like there blend or something. But I also did the dipping and they were falling off with that. So dr g could have worked with our dipping but I didn’t waste no time I wanted these gone. Hours of research reading forms and videos. It sucked.

OP
OP
MavPond

MavPond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine never came back. I dipped and scrubs the frag plugs with a plastic brush. Really hard bristle. The eggs where on most plugs. But all clear everything is booming. Everything was going good. My last Coral i loss with ny knicks torch. I didn’t dip any lps or anything. Just my acros. I do believe that torch was hosting those bugs till the very end and I never noticed. Do you need help with anything? I’m so glad my tank did not crash or loose everything. I’d say 80 percent corals saved. All due cause I only dipped the sps and not the lps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back