Fighting Dinos Question

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been working to fight some dinos which took over my sand bed. I worked thru the water chemistry side and have steady good numbers. I worked thru verifying my RODI water has zero TDS. I also worked thru doing a 3 day blackout which admittedly did the best but they did come back after a few days. Finally I purchased a gyre and using my existing two wave makers have worked to adjust the flow patterns near the sand bed. This where there is very strong flow has worked to keep them down. However it’s so much flow that I’m adjusting the sand dunes daily and have had to move my soft corals down to my sump. My Zoas are also not fully opening now either due to the flow increase. Is this amount of flow right or should I stop and try a different solution for these dinos. Was thinking about trying a UV for a week or two to see if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have been working to fight some dinos which took over my sand bed. I worked thru the water chemistry side and have steady good numbers. I worked thru verifying my RODI water has zero TDS. I also worked thru doing a 3 day blackout which admittedly did the best but they did come back after a few days. Finally I purchased a gyre and using my existing two wave makers have worked to adjust the flow patterns near the sand bed. This where there is very strong flow has worked to keep them down. However it’s so much flow that I’m adjusting the sand dunes daily and have had to move my soft corals down to my sump. My Zoas are also not fully opening now either due to the flow increase. Is this amount of flow right or should I stop and try a different solution for these dinos. Was thinking about trying a UV for a week or two to see if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Try Microbacter7 and a clean up crew if you don’t have one but honestly sometimes you just have to wait for it to die down.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I did not get an id on my Dino’s but just days after a quality UV the battle was 80% won. I still run a uv 24/7 just for the water clarity and overall fish and aquarium health.

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Microbacter7 and a clean up crew if you don’t have one but honestly sometimes you just have to wait for it to die down.
I did order some more snails as I was very sparing with them since I didn’t want them to starve. Also I haven’t tried microbacter so I can give that a shot to see what it will do.

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I did not get an id on my Dino’s but just days after a quality UV the battle was 80% won. I still run a uv 24/7 just for the water clarity and overall fish and aquarium health.
Can I ask which one you use?

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask which one you use?
I use a fairly cheap uv made for ponds called pond one cleartec 18w. And my tank is 65 gallon. I believe the most important thing is to set it up to pump directly from display tank.
F27E6324-8415-4271-A12D-ED59760DCD3F.jpeg

Attachments

• 41F2A1C4-97AF-426E-8A17-226D76401AA5.jpeg
    41F2A1C4-97AF-426E-8A17-226D76401AA5.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 25

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the elegance coral dino treatment on both my tanks which worked well. I started with a 3 day blackout just to give myself a headstart.

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get this thread going again as I am still fighting them. I am now running a UV light, GFO, carbon, and harvest charro weekly. All of the corals seem happy and I only have 6 small fish. I have also upgraded my RODI system with the silicate buster but still no dice. I am completely at a lose and not sure where to go next. Need some help please. Also before anyone asks my nitrates and phosphates are at zero or near zero steadily.

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to get this thread going again as I am still fighting them. I am now running a UV light, GFO, carbon, and harvest charro weekly. All of the corals seem happy and I only have 6 small fish. I have also upgraded my RODI system with the silicate buster but still no dice. I am completely at a lose and not sure where to go next. Need some help please. Also before anyone asks my nitrates and phosphates are at zero or near zero steadily.
Hello, I also had a Dino issue recently. Luckily for me a UV light is working. During the research I did I found many opinions that said zero phosphates and nitrates could encourage Dino growth. I was in the process of raising nitrates and phosphates because I was at zero on both. Whether that contributed to my issue and than raising them also helped get rid of them is possible.

oreolk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get rid of the GFO. Dinos will thrive in low phosphates

OP
OP
A

aLu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will shut off my GFO reactor for a while. How long should it take to see results if this is working or not?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to look into dosing nitrate and phosphate to get your numbers above 0. As stated above, dinos thrive in low nutrients.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back