fighting mulitple issues( ich and hole in the head)

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed I had two dead fish. didn't see any issues yesterday when I was enjoying my DT. I looked at my clowns had white spots. I took them out and did a freshwater dip. in a red bowl. this way any white spots I would know it was ich. and my puffer has a white mark on its head. did a google search and found an oscar picture with a similar wound. so treating that puffer with general cure. and the ich I got some fritz coppersafe since that's all my LFS had in stock. When I asked about hyposalinity they told me I didn;t need to do that. but they did recomend mixing the food with real garlic (not garlic extract) so thats what im doing. I also got some ich-x if I need to do the display. any other recomendations on what else I should be doing? the burr puffer has the same exact mark on it's head that I am thinking hole in the head disease.

Pic is of the oscar with hole in the head disease.
Oscar-Fish-with-Hole-in-the-Head.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your troubles. It would be extremely helpful if you could post pictures of your fish for better diagnosis.

In regards to ich, are you treating in a QT tank? Sudden deaths that quickly are usually more sinister than ich. Possibly velvet or brook, since you mentioned clowns in your post.

How are your water parameters? Any more information you can provide would be great.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought velvet also. I'm doing a copper treat for 30 days. I'll post pics soon.
Puffers typically don’t get hole in the head. Losing two fish is really serious because even if you start the right treatment, right away, you may no be able to stop additional losses.
With velvet, the fish will stop eating and begin very rapid breathing. With ich, you won’t see that until the fish have been ick for awhile (plus you’ll see the classic white spots).
Pictures under a white light and a short video may help us diagnose the issue.
Jay

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the puffer, pbt and clowns.

Attachments

• IMG_20211227_180432548_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211227_180432548_HDR.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20211227_175924883.jpg
    IMG_20211227_175924883.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20211227_181116525_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211227_181116525_MP.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20211227_181114184_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211227_181114184_MP.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20211227_181059585_MP.jpg
    IMG_20211227_181059585_MP.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the rest of the fish in another tank and there not showing any signs of anything. I'm observing them in a 75 while my 125 is fallow. Sadly the PbT didn't make it. Clowns are still swimming and showing no signs of copper bothering them. I wasn't able to get a pic of the coral beauty.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the rest of the fish in another tank and there not showing any signs of anything. I'm observing them in a 75 while my 125 is fallow. Sadly the PbT didn't make it. Clowns are still swimming and showing no signs of copper bothering them. I wasn't able to get a pic of the coral beauty.
The puffer has a bacterial infection - I can't tell if it is primary (just started up on its own) or secondary to some injury. See how there are little marks all around the larger white spot? Was there any fish in the tank that could have bitten the puffer repeatedly? If not, then it is probably a primary bacterial disease. Either way, things get dicey then because the fish really should be treated with copper as well, and combing that with antibiotics causes added stress.

Jay

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The puffer has a bacterial infection - I can't tell if it is primary (just started up on its own) or secondary to some injury. See how there are little marks all around the larger white spot? Was there any fish in the tank that could have bitten the puffer repeatedly? If not, then it is probably a primary bacterial disease. Either way, things get dicey then because the fish really should be treated with copper as well, and combing that with antibiotics causes added stress.

Jay
I just noticed that this morning. I have hm in a tank with general cure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that this morning. I have hm in a tank with general cure.

Well, that isn't a very good antibiotic. Metronidazole has limited benefit against anaerobic bacteria, but an infection on the outside of the fish is most likely aerobic Kanaplex, Furan-2 or even Neoplex would be better. Is the puffer still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
My stocking is 2 mandarin. Gobies, a Valentino puffer burr puffer, yellow eye kole tang, salufun tang pbt file fish for aptasia, 2 coral beauties. I think that's it other than snails and crabs and shrimp.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that isn't a very good antibiotic. Metronidazole has limited benefit against anaerobic bacteria, but an infection on the outside of the fish is most likely aerobic Kanaplex, Furan-2 or even Neoplex would be better. Is the puffer still eating?

Jay
No it's not. It might be a goner.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stocking is 2 mandarin. Gobies, a Valentino puffer burr puffer, yellow eye kole tang, salufun tang pbt file fish for aptasia, 2 coral beauties. I think that's it other than snails and crabs and shrimp.
The valentini puffer could have gone after it, but you would have likely seen something going on....

Jay

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
It is not eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not eating.
Sorry. Antibiotics typically take 5 days plus or minus to work, and since the fish isn’t eating, it may not have that long.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the Oscar, they and veiled angelfish typically get hole in the head especially oscars which derive from little worms. Coomon with many cichlids dempsy and firemouth , Its mainly caused by poor water condition in which you by now realize they are very messy housekeepers and love to dig in the gravel.
The worms mentioned are hexamita parasites are what cause Hole in the Head Disease. They are best treated using a medication called
metronidazole (metro by seachem) which needs to be ingested by the fish, and it can’t simply be added to the tank like other medications. Obviously ypur oscar is not going to simply eat these tablets, you will have to mix the medication with food so the fish will readily eat it. There are various ways to prepare Metronidazole so that it can be easily fed to your fish such as soaking or stuff into a feeder goldfish
It should heal but the fish will be left with a crater on its head. Add carbon to the tank and change water more frequently - also add 1 tablespoon of aquarium or epsom salt per 10 gallons always

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my burr fish seems to have the same symptoms it started off with ick which we started treating and now all the sudden it has a spot on its head. it's still eating and we're still treating it for ick.... Any advice?
Hi,

I answered you over in your other thread. Waiting to see your pictures of your burrfish.

Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back